Menu

Prima Latina in second, or just start LC1 or something else in 3rd?

Penelope

I am hoping those of you familiar with Latin can help me out. :)

I am not seeing the reasoning for starting PL in first or second grade, when the material will be repeated again the next year. Is the purpose to go more slowly, so that you can "overlearn" it? Is it mainly for younger siblings who want to follow along with the older ones? Is it to replace some of the English grammar instruction?

I'm trying to decide whether to purchase PL for next year, and I feel like I am missing something.

Guest queenkat

Since no one has replied to this yet, I'll share our experience.

W used PL slowly and orally starting in in 1st grade (w/ a K child too.) We finished it in 3rd/2nd grade at which point my pencil phobic boys were doing the workbook lessons and writing the vocabulary. Because of the foundation laid by PL my boys were able to easily move into LC1 doing all the writing outlined in the TM. PL built confidence and the short lessons were great for my young boys. I love that both boys 4th/3rd are working at the same level.

HTH

Kathy

We started PL about 18 months ago. Since most of children who were doing it were young we took our sweet time with lots of review. They just started LC about a week ago and will will most likely spend lots of time getting it ingrained. Not because they are slow learners or anything I just am not on the ball with it like I should be so when it's time each day for latin I tend to tell them to review the previous ones:) I'm getting better though with my time and hopefully I can stay on top of it. Here are the ages when they began

16-not one of the young ones but she'd never done latin

We're just finishing PL now (end of 2nd). I had bought it last year to use at some point in the future and when studying Rome, my 4yo just happened to ask when we could learn Latin like the Ancient Romans. :D So I pulled it out and they thought it was the coolest thing ever!

We haven't been terribly diligent about reviewing, but it's been a nice and gentle beginning. Next year with my 3rd grader we'll get more serious with LC I.

I started LC1 in 3rd with dd. I had gone to a workshop and the lady there said that PL is just the first half of LC1 taken slowly. If starting in grades 1 or 2 I'd tend toward PL, but I think by 3rd it's fine to jump to LC1.

FWIW, we did both LC1 and LC2 in 3rd - 5th, then started Henle with the MP guide halfway through 5th. After getting halfway through the 2nd MP guide, I gave up teaching since there were too many questions I didn't have answers for. Dd is now taking high school Latin with a virtual school and doing fine. I am grateful for the foundation that LC and Henle laid!

I am hoping those of you familiar with Latin can help me out. :)

I am not seeing the reasoning for starting PL in first or second grade, when the material will be repeated again the next year. Is the purpose to go more slowly, so that you can "overlearn" it? Is it mainly for younger siblings who want to follow along with the older ones? Is it to replace some of the English grammar instruction?

I'm trying to decide whether to purchase PL for next year, and I feel like I am missing something.

My son started with PL in 3rd grade, and recently finished LC2 in 5th grade. We've casually started Henle with the MP guide.

I waited til 3rd grade to do PL and I'm glad because I had read in WTM that to do LC1, the child would need to be working on at least a 4th grade level in English grammar, and I found this to be true when he was doing LC1. We would learn something in R&S 4, and then that would be touched on in LC1. Same this year with LC2 and R&S 5. Without the background of the English grammar, the Latin grammar would have been harder for us to understand. I know a lot of people use Latin as their English grammar instruction, but I have also read that this is only useful if you are really familiar with Latin grammar, which we were not. We needed the English background to do the Latin.

By doing PL/LC1/LC2, I can see now that Henle, at least the first few units, will be a lot of review as well. It's a lot less intimidating, but yet I would think Henle would be harder for a 4th or 5th grader to work on, if you started PL in 1st or 2nd and did a course per year.

Edited by Colleen in NS