Menu

I totally avoided this for the longest time. Vampire love story... you have got to be kidding right? Not my thing at. all.

Dh got the movie and then the next night I picked up the book. I wanted more background information, more detail. So, I watched the movie Saturday and now, Tuesday afternoon, I have finished New Moon. It's getting a little out of hand.

I will have to purchase the rest of the books as well because waiting months for the library to come though is not an option.

Anyone else surprised to find themselves obsessed with Bela and Edward? Tell me I am not the only one.

I read the whole series in four days...nothing got done around the house...the kids ate cereal for dinner and watched as much TV as they wanted...yes, you could say I was obsessed. :D

That is exactly how I was. It took me a really long time after I finished the series to read another book because I knew it couldn't compare. I've never been like that before. Frightening!

I read the whole series in four days...nothing got done around the house...the kids ate cereal for dinner and watched as much TV as they wanted...yes, you could say I was obsessed. :D

I am debating running to Walmart to get Eclipse and Breaking dawn tonight.....

I have to know, does he eventually turn her? You can PM me. I might be able to hold off until morning and get some house cleaning done if I just know this one thing. It drives my dh crazy but I am one of those people that has to know the end so that I can enjoy the middle. I always read the end after the set up.

Have you read the first chapter of Midnight Sun and do you have any idea when it will be out?

Glad I am not the only one.

I seem to be the only person who hated Twilight. I thought it was an awful book.

Michelle T

:iagree:

I am almost finished Twilight. I wanted to read it to decide if my dd can read it. I want my time back:glare:

I have to know, does he eventually turn her? You can PM me. I might be able to hold off until morning and get some house cleaning done if I just know this one thing. It drives my dh crazy but I am one of those people that has to know the end so that I can enjoy the middle. I always read the end after the set up.

Have you read the first chapter of Midnight Sun and do you have any idea when it will be out?

Yes, I have read Midnight Sun and even though it is a rough draft I still loved it. And it is against the Twilight code to tell you what happens in the next book. You'll just have to forget housecleaning and read it. :D

I am trying to find out if it is in stock before I drag the kids out of the house. Is there any news on when she will have Midnight Sun out? One chapter was just NOT ENOUGH! DH is going to freak if I don't do some laundry. There is a reason that I rarely read novels. Nothing gets done and my dh gets frustrated.

Heather - that's just mean. Now I have to drag the girls out in the rain to get the books (no more of this buying one at a time silliness). You should really tell me, for the sake of the children....

Edited by Cadam

It happened to me. I saw Twilight Saturday night. Bought the book the next day at the grocery store. Bought New Moon the next morning at the book store. Bought Eclipse and Breaking Dawn that afternoon. Got nothing done for three days in a row as I finished them. Then when I found out about Midnight Sun it started the whole thing all over again.

What is wrong with me? I am a grown woman!!

I won't even admit to any other vampire series I may or may not have investigated. I really have to cut out all fiction reading if I ever want to get anything accomplished, like feeding, bathing, or educating my poor children.

OK, I shouldn't even submit this because I will be embarassed forever to have this on the internet. There are worse addictions, right? Right???

I am trying to find out if it is in stock before I drag the kids out of the house. Is there any news on when she will have Midnight Sun out? One chapter was just NOT ENOUGH! DH is going to freak if I don't do some laundry. There is a reason that I rarely read novels. Nothing gets done and my dh gets frustrated.

Rumor has it that she may not ever publish it because it was leaked ahead of time. :(

Oh, there were a lot more chapters of Midnight Sun on her website! Still not enough though.

http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/pdf/midnightsun_partial_draft4.pdf

I seem to be the only person who hated Twilight. I thought it was an awful book.

Michelle T

No, you aren't the only one. The plot is insipid and the writing is juvenile -- even for a book written for juveniles.

My oldest dd read them, so I tried to read the first , and I could not, for the life of me, get into it. I tried. I went in with an open mind, and a year before the movie. But I could not do it. My dd is supposedly at the age where girls love these and she doesn't. She read them all, sort of as an excersize in 'cultural literacy', but wasn't wowed by them.

I don't know what to think, as there I people I repect who love them. I plan to try again, since I honestly appreciate the fact that a woman I know, who has a doctorate in English lit, loves them. Maybe she likes vampire sstories and I don't?

Edited by LibraryLover

read the first book and decided not to waste my time on any more. I didn't think the writing was that good. Guess I've read too many classics.

I did hear the movie was good, but I don't know what all the buzz is about the main actor. He doesn't do it for me. I probably won't bother seeing the movie.

Just another opinion. No tomatoes please!

Jacklyn

I watched the movie last week. It was okay, but I want to read the book. But I am torn as I've heard the writing itself is not the best. I'm already reading a series to my ds where the writing makes me cringe so I'm not sure I can handle it. But Amazon has the first two books for 6.00 each so I'm tempted. It may be my fluff for May. :lol::001_smile:;)

:iagree: This was me...only I did it in 3 days and totally neglected my family for those 3 days.

Then, the Twilight sadness hit and I was depressed for about 2 weeks. I still have no idea why. Now I can read Twilight books and not get so sucked in...but man, that first time was tough!

SPOILER ALERT

LOL...of course he does. However, it is totally NOT how I had invisioned it being.It is actually kinda sick and twisted (which I think the whole last book gets to be...what with imprinting and half vampire babies and all. LOL

Edited by Tree House Academy

Welcome to the club. I picked it up while waiting for my kids in the bathroom at Borders and then bought it. Read it that night (dh was gone), went back the next day to buy New Moon. Read it that night (dh still gone), bought the third on the day after and had to wait 4 whole days until Breaking Dawn came out. I dragged my dh out to Wal-Mart at midnight to buy it (kids were gone) and read half of it that night.

I'm not right, I know, but it's addictive.

Well DH will be out of town this weekend so I will be watching the movie and reading the books AGAIN ;) Yes, they are not well written but there is something about them that pulls you in and doesn't let go, LOL :D

I decided long ago that the thing that pulls you in and won't let go is Edward. ;) No, not Cedric Diggory...er, I mean, Robert Pattinson (he totally doesn't do it for me)...I mean EDWARD CULLEN. *purr*:drool:

I figured this out when I decided New Moon sucked and I found myself skipping forward to the part when she goes to save him. Then, BAM, I was reading at warp speed again...just waiting for him to say something ooey, gooey, and dripping with mush.

I decided long ago that the thing that pulls you in and won't let go is Edward. ;) No, not Cedric Diggory...er, I mean, Robert Pattinson (he totally doesn't do it for me)...I mean EDWARD CULLEN. *purr*:drool:

I figured this out when I decided New Moon sucked and I found myself skipping forward to the part when she goes to save him. Then, BAM, I was reading at warp speed again...just waiting for him to say something ooey, gooey, and dripping with mush.

ITA...Edward Cullen is the draw (although I DO happen to like Robert Pattinson in the movie:001_wub:, I also liked him as Cedric Diggory ;)) I actually think I enjoy the draft of Midnight Sun more than Twilight...I LOVE having the story from his perspective, and wish it didn't stop where it does.

Diane

I don't know what to think, as I know people I respect who love them. I plan to try again, since I honestly appreciate the fact that a woman I know, who has a doctorate in English lit, loves them. Maybe she likes vampire stories and I don't?

I have a degree in English Lit. too but I loved them...what can I say? They are like chocolate or cheesecake...not necessarily "good" for you but oh so delicious! :D

ITA...Edward Cullen is the draw (although I DO happen to like Robert Pattinson in the movie:001_wub:, I also liked him as Cedric Diggory ;)) I actually think I enjoy the draft of Midnight Sun more than Twilight...I LOVE having the story from his perspective, and wish it didn't stop where it does.

Diane

:iagree: I can't believe ANYONE would choose Jacob over Edward????? :tongue_smilie:

Yep, I'm a Twilight fan, too! LOVE IT! Glad I watched the movie first but I like all of it! The last week of December into January I was really sick but drug myself, and my 4yo ds, to Target to buy the 3rd, and then the 4th, book. You are NOT ALONE! LOL

Cadam--You've gone too far--you must get yourself in the car now and get Eclipse and while you are there pick up Breaking Dawn, too. You are not alone in the 4-DayTwilight Marathon, lol! And really, the fact that's raining where you are makes it even more poetic. (I live in the desert, so I have to turn on the sprinklers to imagine rain!) Eclipse was my fav. I couldn't believe I got so into it--my sis recommended it because I would have never thought about picking it up otherwise. I actually just started reading the series out loud to DH cuz he's tired of hearing just bits and pieces about it.

Just be glad that you got into them AFTER they were all released in paperback. :D

:iagree: I can't believe ANYONE would choose Jacob over Edward????? :tongue_smilie:

I know, vampire or Wolf....hmm it seems completely obvious to me which one I would choose :D...it will be interesting to see how they play this up in the movie especially since there is definite chemistry between the Edward and Bella characters and NO chemistry at all between Bella and Jacob.

One chapter of Midnight Sun vs. Twilight. Hmmm... I would go with Midnight Sun. Edward's perspective is so much more interesting. I found New Moon to be extremely boring - not a Jacob fan. I read it all but felt like I could have read the beginning and the end and not missed anything. The battle in Eclipse was good but the build up was slightly tedious. I think Breaking Dawn suffered from poor editing. A lot of it could have been cut and it would have made for a more fast-paced, tighter read. I guess I shouldn't comment anymore as I will enter into the Spoiler realm! :001_huh:

I know, vampire or Wolf....hmm it seems completely obvious to me which one I would choose :D...it will be interesting to see how they play this up in the movie especially since there is definite chemistry between the Edward and Bella characters and NO chemistry at all between Bella and Jacob.

There is chemistry between Bella and Jacob IMO...it is just more of a teenaged love (very clingy and needy, but when is Bella NOT clingy and needy...oh yeah...when she gets all vamped up! LOL) whereas Bella and Edward have a timeless love...

Okay, here's my embarrassing Twilight confession. I've read all the books 3 times, seen the movie twice at the theater, and bought it on DVD at a midnight release party. My DH insisted we go. I am an educated, mature mother of four, and yet, I'm hooked.:lol: I took pictures at the party and participated in the scavenger hunt.

My DH also bought me the director's journal and the "Making of..." book. I love that one--lots of pictures and talk about the movie sets, actors, wardrobe, etc.

I have a Twilight t-shirt and a key clip with the Cullen crest on it.

What in the world is wrong with me?

I actually envy you reading through them for the first time! Enjoy!

Guest janainaz

Ok, I gave in and watched Twilight..... I really loved it and now I must get the book(s). I'm scared to have them. I'm the type of reader that if I love what I'm reading, I must inhale it, lose sleep, make pop-tarts and TV dinners until I can re-engage in my life. But, I'm going to do it anyway!

It is 3:50 am and I just finished reading those chapters of Midnight Sun. Twilight was good (I know it's not Bronte but I like it, ok?) but Midnight Sun I would hand over big money for. I know the author is disheartened that it got leaked, but gee, get over it and write the book for goodness sake!! To get inside Edward's head was just so amazing. I read the book because that was the kind of background information I wanted after seeing the movie. It was so much better than Bella's side, although I am glad I got that too.

I have to be up in an hour.:glare: Reading Midnight Sun kept me occupied long enough that I should be able to wait until first light to get the next two books.

I also skipped huge parts of New Moon, immediately figured out I just wanted Edward, read that part and then went back to learn about Jacob. It is all about Edward. This is the part that grips me. Edward's struggle against his nature (classic man against himself struggle btw) is just a magnification of what we all go through in daily life. Do we choose the right path or do we side with our nature? How to maintain self-control in the face of great temptation? I see my own struggles in his, in a way. I admire his strength and melt at his chivalry and just how he is always such a gentleman. Isn't this what draws us to Jane Austen novels? The dashing man with inner struggles who is gentlemanly to a fault; and that teen girl inside all of us wants him to show up at the window and do no more than hold us all night?

Shoot, it's a modern romance and two books in still no one is jumping anyone else! That has to be some kind of record.

It is Edward's character and his inner struggles that pull me in. That is why I just stayed up all night reading Midnight Sun. It's all about Edward.

Who wants to take bets on how many babies will be named for the characters? My kids already have pretty classic old-fashioned names but I see a resurgence coming on with the population at large.:001_smile:

Cadam--You've gone too far--you must get yourself in the car now and get Eclipse and while you are there pick up Breaking Dawn, too. You are not alone in the 4-DayTwilight Marathon, lol! And really, the fact that's raining where you are makes it even more poetic. (I live in the desert, so I have to turn on the sprinklers to imagine rain!) Eclipse was my fav. I couldn't believe I got so into it--my sis recommended it because I would have never thought about picking it up otherwise. I actually just started reading the series out loud to DH cuz he's tired of hearing just bits and pieces about it.

Just be glad that you got into them AFTER they were all released in paperback. :D

I can't find Breaking Dawn in paperback. That one I will have to pay actual money for.

It is 3:50 am and I just finished reading those chapters of Midnight Sun. Twilight was good (I know it's not Bronte but I like it, ok?) but Midnight Sun I would hand over big money for. I know the author is disheartened that it got leaked, but gee, get over it and write the book for goodness sake!! To get inside Edward's head was just so amazing. I read the book because that was the kind of background information I wanted after seeing the movie. It was so much better than Bella's side, although I am glad I got that too.

I have to be up in an hour.:glare: Reading Midnight Sun kept me occupied long enough that I should be able to wait until first light to get the next two books.

I also skipped huge parts of New Moon, immediately figured out I just wanted Edward, read that part and then went back to learn about Jacob. It is all about Edward. This is the part that grips me. Edward's struggle against his nature (classic man against himself struggle btw) is just a magnification of what we all go through in daily life. Do we choose the right path or do we side with our nature? How to maintain self-control in the face of great temptation? I see my own struggles in his, in a way. I admire his strength and melt at his chivalry and just how he is always such a gentleman. Isn't this what draws us to Jane Austen novels? The dashing man with inner struggles who is gentlemanly to a fault; and that teen girl inside all of us wants him to show up at the window and do no more than hold us all night?

Shoot, it's a modern romance and two books in still no one is jumping anyone else! That has to be some kind of record.

It is Edward's character and his inner struggles that pull me in. That is why I just stayed up all night reading Midnight Sun. It's all about Edward.

Who wants to take bets on how many babies will be named for the characters? My kids already have pretty classic old-fashioned names but I see a resurgence coming on with the population at large.:001_smile:

YES! Another Twilight victim! I even took it to work to sneak peeks when no one was looking. Shhhhhh..... And ITA with everything you said.

YES! Another Twilight victim! I even took it to work to sneak peeks when no one was looking. Shhhhhh..... And ITA with everything you said.

I tried to read at stop lights on the way home with New Moon. I really do only have an hour until wake up. I wonder when I will finally crash.....:glare:

Long time Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan where vampires don't sparkle.

I promised to teen friends I would read the book if they would watch a Buffy Marathon. :)

It was an ok read, I didn't hate it. It had some interesting ideas and it was engaging.

Gotta say though, give me David Boreanez and James Marsters any day over the pretty boy. :)

I can't find Breaking Dawn in paperback. That one I will have to pay actual money for.

It usually takes about 1 year between the time a book is released in hardcover to when they release a paperback edition. When was Breaking Dawn released? I forgot.

I promised to teen friends I would read the book if they would watch a Buffy Marathon. :)

It was an ok read, I didn't hate it. It had some interesting ideas and it was engaging.

Gotta say though, give me David Boreanez and James Marsters any day over the pretty boy. :)

:iagree: Buffy has an amazing amount of depth compared to Twilight. And the characters are far better role models for teens.

My book club read Twilight last month. After reading Lady Chatterly's Lover we needed some fluff. I thought the author did a great job capturing those teenage romance feelings. Those days when you couldn't wait to see the guy you were madly in love with. Those scenes made me melt. However, every once in awhile, as I was lost in their powerful feelings for one another I would think "eeeewww, he is like 90 and she is a child. gross."

It is not great literature but it is a nice piece of brain candy.

:iagree: Buffy has an amazing amount of depth compared to Twilight. And the characters are far better role models for teens.

I agree.

It is not great literature but it is a nice piece of brain candy.

Yep. Total fluff, but it's fun fluff. ;)

the author did a great job capturing those teenage romance feelings. Those days when you couldn't wait to see the guy you were madly in love with. Those scenes made me melt. However, every once in awhile, as I was lost in their powerful feelings for one another I would think "eeeewww, he is like 90 and she is a child. gross."

I agree 100% with all of this. I also, once in awhile, was like EEEEWWWWW...and I thought MY dh was older (he is 10 years my senior). LOL:lol:

Did you read the rest of the books? Talk about EWWWWW after you read Breaking Dawn. I mean, the change, the birth, the imprinting. Okay....EEEEEWWWW.

This is why I don't read fiction anymore. My kids would get neglected :tongue_smilie: I read only non-fiction, which I can drop anytime to tend to the kids, the house.. well, the kids :lol:

rockon.gif

?action=view&current=rockon.gif

Curiosity got the best of me and I decided to check this series out. Bella was not a girl I could identify with but likable nonetheless. I thought the unhealthy relationship between Bella and Edward was not a one I'd want young girls to be emulating. Dangerous men are NOT what I think young girls should desire becoming infatuated with.

That said, I did actually like Twilight. As a adult I could have fun with the fantasy of it. The other books left me with an overwhelming sense of "meh" though. Especially the one where I had to endure being in Jacob's head for a while; I loathed that character.

Anyway, no--it is not good writing-- drivel to be sure-- but I enjoyed the ride. And I need a little drivel every now and then. :D