Menu

SO...Singapore Math....tell me about it

paulcindy

Since seeing people mention this in my Strayer Upton thread, I went and took a looksie at it:lol:

Do people use Singapore for their "only" Math program?

Why would it need supplementing? Does it lack something?(Other then drill).

Are the Home Instructors Guides needed? Are these IG the only place that contains answers?

I know the levels do not correspond with grade levels, since my 10 yo would probably start in 4A.

So, tell me .............why all the hoopla over Singapore?

:001_smile:

We use Singapore as our main program. We supplement because we like doing lots of math? :001_smile: I don't think Singapore needs supplementing unless a child just needs a little more drill. I just try to gauge this with my kids and if I think something needs reinforcement, we add in some practice (flashcards, Quartermile Math, Calculadders). There are some topics that are not covered in Singapore that are in US math programs. Singapore picks them up in NEM (from what I've read, since I haven't gotten there yet). Supposedly the new Standards from Singapore solves that issue since it was developed to coincide with CA's standards iirc. The HIGs are useful IMO for teaching new concepts if you need a little hand holding (as most of us do sometimes). The answers to the textbook and workbook are in the HIG. The answers to the supplemental workbooks (CWP, IP) are in the back of the books. I just cut out those pages and file them at the beginning of the school year.

Why the hoopla? Singapore teaches kids to think mathematically. The word problems especially can't be beat. They teach math conceptually going from a sort of pictorial/concrete respresentation, to the abstract. My kids also love the PC games that go with it. (Rainbow Rock, Vroot and Vroom, Wiggle Woods). My kids are learning math and really liking it. I've never used anything else in entirety though so I have no point of comparison (other than my dh's dislike of Saxon when he used it back in the day).

Okay, thanks. You know, I looked at the samples online for 4A and 4B, and I was having a hard time trying to figure out how they were teaching math concepts, Maybe it is because I am not used to it?

In the CWP 4, they show a long rectangle, and then another long rectangle underneath , like a bar graph, showing how to do the word problem. I was really confused. Maybe it is a Singapore thing..........LOL.:confused:

They are certainly worth exploring. There is so much talk about it.

:D

Yes, those are the models used for solving problems. The kids are taught to use them. There are workshops to teach the teachers how to use them.

I'm a hard-core Singapore lover but I'm math stupid. I just with I had had this kind of math. I taught till this year and now my daughter has just started taking classes here: www.cybershala.com. We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!

Okay be honest, can someone who is Math Stupid, like me(seriously, I just do not GET math at all, and don't even ask me to do a word problem!!!)

I do not want to instill fear of math into my daughter. She likes math. Not loves it, but likes it. But I do not want her to end up like me, where I still have a hard time with fractions!!!(I love English, hate math)

So, can this program be taught by me? Will I learn as well, and get an "AHA" moment??

Or am I going to have ##@#%#$ coming out of my mouth and I end up chucking the book across the room???:tongue_smilie:

Get the Home Instructor's Guide.

I'm only in 1A, so take my words with a grain of salt. I use supplements with SM b/c I found Miquon first - and love it! (It really compliments SM in the younger years btw......and explains fractions well LOL) I use RS math games instead of doing "drill and kill."

Just buy a level and try it - one semester's worth is not that $$$, and you can always sell it on FSOT here.:D

I'm only in 1A, so take my words with a grain of salt. I use supplements with SM b/c I found Miquon first - and love it! (It really compliments SM in the younger years btw......and explains fractions well LOL) I use RS math games instead of doing "drill and kill."

Just buy a level and try it - one semester's worth is not that $$$, and you can always sell it on FSOT here.:D

Also know that the gal who wrote the HIG's is available any time you need her on the Singapore math forums.

For me I love Singapore for the problem solving approach. The bar graphs demonstrate word problems, and also allow Singapore to introduce problems that would normally be solved by algebra. Thus I think the gap between understanding concrete math concepts and moving into algebra is less with Singapore students. Through I haven't been there yet. My oldest is only 5th grade. It just logically makes sense because the upper level programs continue to use the bar graphs to "see" the algebra problems.

I don't use it as our only program because while Singapore is my first love (math geek alert) my kids are very much hands on learners and needed Right Start.

IMO from what I have been researching in Algebra I programs, most programs teach a formula then have the child practice it. Now some programs also do proofs to show why it works, and some don't. Singapore will usually explain why the formula works (informal proof) and then will almost immediately (with very little practice) expect the child to adapt it to a different situation, so they really have to understand the base concept to do that. Make sense?

Heather

Singapore is a good math program. For me, it came down to being able to effectively teach it. The HIGS are very important and I used them, but I did not like the teaching style there. I often went my own way and ended up confusing ds9.

We traded in Singapore after a year in level 3 (A and B) for CLE Math and WOW...love it!

Ditto. On every point. Spooky :D

Bill

Enlighten me on cybershala? How is it set up and what are the classes like?

First of all, the classes are set up for up to 8 students but there were no other students at my daughter's level so she's a cohort of one. I almost decided not to put her in the class b/c of that . . . that would have been the worst mistake of our homeschool lives! That sounds dramatic but I'm so happy with my daughter's class, I really believe that's true!

The class works like this:

at the appointed time my daughter pulls up the cybershala website and logs into her page. She clicks on the link for that day. A seperate page pops up. She activates her mic and camera and so does the teacher.

On the screen to the left is my daughter can see herself and the teacher via webcam. That's kind of smallish but large enough to see each other just fine. Below that is a chat window but the only time we've used that is when we met the principal to set up our stuff b/f classes began and on the first day when we couldn't remember where the mic/camera icon was! :tongue_smilie: The see and speak to each other in real time. B/c we can see and hear each other, I can tell there is a tiny lag b/t the time my daughter speaks and the time she is heard by her teacher. Not too bad, though.

The bulk of the screen is the white board. The teacher uses that to teach. She explains the concepts (brilliantly, I must add) and they work through the textbook, and do a few wkbk problems. The best part, for me, though, is that they then go on to the Intensive Practice problems. This was very important to me. I could probably continue on with TB and WKBK but not IP and CWP. They do this in class and for homework and teacher explains and my daughter understans so well! This is singapore math, she teaches the singapore math way. Sometimes the presentation is a powerpoint and sometimes my daughter and the teacher are writing on the board together (she can type or draw on the board).

As for this teacher . . . she is great! I could not be more pleased! I love that she is both good and math and good at singapore math. It wasn't enough for me just to find someone good at math to tutor my daughter. I want someone who really understands math, really understands Singapore Math, AND can lead my kiddo to a rich understanding. check! Check! AND CHECK!

I am so happy. I really love this class.

I would tell you the cons but in all honesty, I really can't think of any. My daughter and I are both that happy with it.

The teacher lives in New Dehli, India. She is lovely and smart and motivating. I love that my daughter has a woman teacher for some reason. I think it has something to do with having my daughter know that girls can be good at math eventhough mommy isn't. My dad and grandfather were extraordinarily (almost preternaturally!) good at math. My husband is also good at math. B/c of this, I think my daughter has a better than average chance of being really good at math. That is why I chose Singapore originally. I wanted something that would teach in a different way than I was taught, was very mental math oriented, and had a very, very, challenging aspect. Not having got the math gift myself, I just couldn't keep up my end of the compact and had to farm it out. Well, it seemed that all these men are good at math but the most significant and most of the girls we know are not particularly good at math. I don't want my daughter to start thinking that boys do math, girls don't. Well, she doesnt' think that now. My daughter has always loved math. It has always been one of her favorite classes. Now, favorited doesnt' even begin to describe it.

Okay, I have gushed enough. Feel free to ask me any specific questions if I haven't covered them.

The nitty-gritty: $100/month, 2 classes/week, an hour - and hour and 15 minutes/class. The weebsite says an hour 15 minutes. When they set us up they set up an hour. I asked and the principal said that most parents feel that one hour is enough. I wanted to go with the hour, fifteen and we do.

Oh, and homework . . . she is assigned homework and does it in the book. We scan the pages back to the teacher. They go over it at the begining of class.

Anything else?

I love it and so does my daughter!

My daughter is awake and wants to add her own review now . . .

(The Teacher) is great! She's pretty, smart, she's everything you want a teacher to be. She cross checks!! If it weren't for Teacher, math would be good. With Teacher it is wonderful magnificent!!

My oldest did Singapore from 3A-6B. She did some of the Key to books when she needed more work on fractions, decimals, and percents.

My middle did Singapore from 3A-6B. She did Challenging Word Problems 3 and 4 and some of 5, mainly to slow her down some.

My youngest did Singapore 1A-3A, then hit a brick wall. She tried several other programs over the next 15 months and then came back to Singapore with 4A and is now almost finished with 5A. She does Daily Math Practice from Evan-Moor with Singapore because she needs consistent, systematic daily review. Adding Daily Math Practice has helped considerably.