Menu

How does this look for 6th and 7th grades?

7th Grade:

Math: Saxon Algebra 1 w/ some Dolciani, Lial's, and LOF to add some spice

History: Hakim History of US series, TTC US History lectures, WTM Lit. suggestions

Science: PH Science Explorer Life Science w/ videos and labs, Nature Study

Grammar: R&S - not sure 6 or 7

Vocab/Spell: Vocab. From Classical Roots & Wordly Wise

Literature: Lightning Lit 7 and Figuratively Speaking

Writing: IEW Themed Based: US History

Logic: Art of Argument, Orbiting with Logic

Art: photography/painting/drawing

PE: through homeschool group, nature walks, maybe karate

Boy Scouts

6th grade:

Math: Saxon 7/6

Everything else is the same as 7th grade except for different levels Vocab/Spelling and possibly Grammar

As much as I'd like to throw in a language, we've been away from homeschool for a couple of years, so I'm thinking it might be better to hold off. At least for right now.

TIA:)

Just curious as to why you're doing two vocab programs. We are doing the Wordly Wise and I would like to do the Vocab from Classical Roots in the future... but now you have me second guessing myself :)

Each program has about 15/16 lessons. I figure by doing both I will have a whole year covered. And, since we're not doing a separate spelling program, I don't think it will overload them. At least I hope not.:)

I plan on starting with Vocabulary from Classical Roots (mainly because we're not doing Latin/Greek or any other language for that matter) then, if things go well, we'll move on to Wordly Wise.

Make sense?

quote=Sue in St Pete;933342]I think it looks great. With 20/20 hindsight, I wish I had done Figuratively Speaking with LL7 this year.

This was a suggestion from none other than the wise LoriD.:)

You might want to preview AoA. We are 1/2 way through it. I don't know that we'll finish it due to the overabundance of controversial people and topics.

Thanks for reminding me of that. I'd heard that before but it slipped my mind. I haven't ordered it yet, do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks for reminding me of that. I'd heard that before but it slipped my mind. I haven't ordered it yet, do you have any other suggestions?

Secular logic for logic stage (we've used MindBenders, Perplexors, and DandyLion already) is the bane of my existence. :banghead::cursing::banghead:

ETA: I thought I had found it with Critical Thinking by Anita Harnadek. But, I think it is better suited to a classroom. The majority of the exercise are class discussions. It might even work fine if you have 2 students. I have one monosyllabic 13yo hormonal boy.

Edited by Sue in St Pete

Secular logic for logic stage (we've used MindBenders, Perplexors, and DandyLion already) is the bane of my existence. :banghead::cursing::banghead:

ETA: I thought I had found it with Critical Thinking by Anita Harnadek. But, I think it is better suited to a classroom. The majority of the exercise are class discussions. It might even work fine if you have 2 students. I have one monosyllabic 13yo hormonal boy.

When I was in high school (and homeschooled), I did it through a Yahoo Group with other homeschooled kids (and parents). Maybe you could start one? I bet there are moms here who would jump on it.

I think it looks great! It's good to see someone else's 7th grade schedule! My dd's 7th grade schedule (now revised from last time I posted) is close--

Math: LoF Beginning Algebra

History: TTC Early American History lectures, WTM Lit. suggestions

Science: Rainbow Science

Grammar: Queen Homeschool's "Lang. Lessons for the Elementary Child 2" (R&S as back-up now? Winston?)

Vocab/Spell: Vocab. From Classical Roots & Vocab. for the College-Bound Student, if needed

Literature: Lightning Lit 7

Writing: Write Shop

Logic: Orbiting with Logic, not sure what we'll do when she finishes it, maybe more Mind Benders?

Fine Arts: Art & Music Appreciation--Harmony Grade 7

Music: Piano Lessons

Language: Visual Link, Spanish Now! and Berlitz Spanish (still have to look at how to combine them, may end up doing only one or two of them)

Edited by Brindee

When I was in high school (and homeschooled), I did it through a Yahoo Group with other homeschooled kids (and parents). Maybe you could start one? I bet there are moms here who would jump on it.

Forgive me for sounding ignorant, while I happen to belong to a Yahoo group, I have never spent much time on one. At least not enough time to really pay attention to how it works. If the truth be known, I don't even remember my user name.

That being the case, exactly how would something like this work? Do you happen to know how one goes about starting a Yahoo Group and what is involved after starting one?

This actually sounds like an interesting idea, but I'm just wondering how much time would be involved.

Thanks

That being the case, exactly how would something like this work? Do you happen to know how one goes about starting a Yahoo Group and what is involved after starting one?

It's been years since I've administrated such a group, and the process may well have changed. If I recall correctly, with a small group with limited membership, after the initial set-up, you should only spend time interacting with members.

Go to groups.yahoo.com. Click on "Start your group today" directly underneath the search box. It will walk you through the process, which should take about 40 minutes if you include the time spent coming up with a group description and figuring out privacy settings. Then post a link here, and expect to spend 20 minutes every other day for the next week or two helping people decide to join and sign up.

I don't remember our assignment structure. Did the admin tell us what exercises to do each week? Did we have a required response minimum, and a deadline? I don't have a copy of Critical Thinking anymore so I can't look at it to jog my memory.

It's been years since I've administrated such a group, and the process may well have changed. If I recall correctly, with a small group with limited membership, after the initial set-up, you should only spend time interacting with members.

Go to groups.yahoo.com. Click on "Start your group today" directly underneath the search box. It will walk you through the process, which should take about 40 minutes if you include the time spent coming up with a group description and figuring out privacy settings. Then post a link here, and expect to spend 20 minutes every other day for the next week or two helping people decide to join and sign up.

I don't remember our assignment structure. Did the admin tell us what exercises to do each week? Did we have a required response minimum, and a deadline? I don't have a copy of Critical Thinking anymore so I can't look at it to jog my memory.

Thanks. Not a bad idea, I'll to give it some serious thought. Unless of course somebody else would like to start one.

Thanks. Not a bad idea, I'll to give it some serious thought. Unless of course somebody else would like to start one.

I am a follower, not a leader. I'd join though.

Each program has about 15/16 lessons. I figure by doing both I will have a whole year covered. And, since we're not doing a separate spelling program, I don't think it will overload them. At least I hope not.:)

I plan on starting with Vocabulary from Classical Roots (mainly because we're not doing Latin/Greek or any other language for that matter) then, if things go well, we'll move on to Wordly Wise.

Make sense?

Hmmmm.... you've got me rethinking this whole thing... and vocab was my only area that I was thinking I had figured out! We have always done one Wordly Wise through the year and just broke it up into small chunks. I like the way you're planning. Thanks!:thumbup:

I am a follower, not a leader. I'd join though.

Darn, you were the "somebody" I was referring to.;) I know that feeling, following vs leading. I'd much rather follow than be responsible for the masses.

Oh well, I'll think about it, mull it over a bit. What with just getting back into homeschooling, my biggest concern is the amount of time it would take and the responsibility involved. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I did that the last time and ended up putting both of them school.:blush: