Menu

In your opinion, what is "conservative"?

After the post yesterday I got to wondering what the criteria of "conservative" was. I thought I was very conservative, but now I am wondering.

I used to think I was a moderate, but these days I think what was moderate is now a flaming liberal. :confused: So what does that make my friend who truly is a card carrying liberal?????

Generally, conservative describes a person who sticks closely to the written document.

Theological conservatives believe in the inerrancy of the Bible, political conservatives stick close to the Constitution (at least in theory :001_huh: LOL).

Guest Virginia Dawn
Generally, conservative describes a person who sticks closely to the written document.

Theological conservatives believe in the inerrancy of the Bible, political conservatives stick close to the Constitution (at least in theory :001_huh: LOL).

Hmm. I tend to think that conservatives are trying to preserve something of value to themselves, written or unwritten. They are usually traditionally minded people, who prefer to take change slowly, if at all.

Hmm. I tend to think that conservatives are trying to preserve something of value to themselves, written or unwritten. They are usually traditionally minded people, who prefer to take change slowly, if at all.

Conservative and traditional are not one in the same. Sometimes the most drastic change is the one that leads back to the original document - both politically and religiously speaking.:001_smile:

After the post yesterday I got to wondering what the criteria of "conservative" was. I thought I was very conservative, but now I am wondering.

It's a tough call sometimes. In some areas I am VERY conservative but in others, not so much. Like there are very few TV shows my kids are allowed to watch, we believe in courtship not recreational dating, I am a devout Christian, I vote Republican, I am pro-life, etc.

BUT

I don't do the "submissive wife" thing, I work full time outside the home, I think men and women are equal, I let my kids trick or treat and watch Harry Potter, etc.

I really don't know where I fit in sometimes. :confused1:

I think Jill, OK's pure definition is a good one: "...is "tending to preserve what's established". I think that kind of describes the various types of "conservatism", whether religious or political, as far as the basis of their beginnings."

I also have to agree with Heather, in NC--I have struggled with how to "define" myself (though I hate being boxed). I enjoy reading the more liberal-leaning Mothering Magazine as well as conservative writers like Walter Williams and Thomas Sowell. I haven't decided my views on global warming yet, but I do think sustainable agriculture and the research into and utilization of alternative energy is important. I don't smoke but I also don't think the government should impose smoking bans on private businesses.

So, I've started to "define" myself as a Classical Liberal. Contemporary political conservatism doesn't really define my beliefs, though I have recently started voting Republican anyway (they're at least a little closer to my beliefs than Democrats). It seems to me that contemporary "conservatism" is a rather befuddled ideology (politically) because elected Republicans--the political face of conservatism--don't really reflect the views of the people very well. Among other things, elected Republicans have been guilty of expanding the Federal government (in education, for instance)--which, to me, is against the conservative viewpoint of limited government.

I think a general description of a conservative could be someone

--who believes that government should play as limited a role in people's lives as possible and prudent, and that government (the federal government in particular) is currently too involved and overbearing

--who believes lower taxes encourage expansion of the economy

--who believes in the invisible hand of capitalism and that the economy will have its occasional downs but it will reset itself and rebound eventually without government interference

--who believes in the founding documents as they are written and in the beliefs that inspired the framers of our nation (including Cicero, Locke, etc.)

--who aims to uphold and live the ideals of our Founding Fathers

--who believes, by and large, individuals are responsible for their own lives and should be allowed to enjoy the consequences of their own choices for good or ill (e.g., private citizens should not be forced by the government to assist other private citizens who have made poor choices in business)

--who believes charity begins at home and that this does not include through taxation

--who believes a person should be judged on his or her merit alone

--who believes in individual liberty, independence, and in the importance of character

--who needs a solid argument for an idea before making a decision (consequently, conservatives tend to be very slow about changing their minds)

--who believes the second amendment refers to the right of the people to bear arms not just the military

--who believes human life is of exceptional value, therefore ending a human life should be no light matter

These are just a few things that came to mind. I think it funny, though, that many of the bullets describe the personal values of many of my liberal friends and family. JMO

I think a general description of a conservative could be someone

--who believes that government should play as limited a role in people's lives as possible and prudent, and that government (the federal government in particular) is currently too involved and overbearing

--who believes lower taxes encourage expansion of the economy

--who believes in the invisible hand of capitalism and that the economy will have its occasional downs but it will reset itself and rebound eventually without government interference

--who believes in the founding documents as they are written and in the beliefs that inspired the framers of our nation (including Cicero, Locke, etc.)

--who aims to uphold and live the ideals of our Founding Fathers

--who believes, by and large, individuals are responsible for their own lives and should be allowed to enjoy the consequences of their own choices for good or ill (e.g., private citizens should not be forced by the government to assist other private citizens who have made poor choices in business)

--who believes charity begins at home and that this does not include through taxation

--who believes a person should be judged on his or her merit alone

--who believes in individual liberty, independence, and in the importance of character

--who needs a solid argument for an idea before making a decision (consequently, conservatives tend to be very slow about changing their minds)

--who believes the second amendment refers to the right of the people to bear arms not just the military

--who believes human life is of exceptional value, therefore ending a human life should be no light matter

I think this is a good definition.

asta

Someone who is willing to learn from thousands of years of human experience. A conservative should want to preserve what is good, effective, etc from the lessons and experiences of the past. Do modern conservatives all do this? ;) No! I would think true conservatives would be much more concerned with the environment. IMO a true conservative would be concerned with the environment, support organic farming efforts, but not be panicked about global warming. A true conservative would look at those things in the light of past human experience - humans have always been effected by their environment, yet global temps have a cycle and it is cooler now than it was in 1000. Enter the "Crunchy Cons!"

Thanks ladies. I appreciate your input. I'm there with you Heather in NC. I do try to be a submissive wife, but balance it with my career (which is very part time, 4 shifts a month). I don't mean I allow my DH to run all over me, I mean I respect his authority over me and our home. Sometimes I have to set him straight though. LOL