Menu

Any success stories after using MathRelief Algebra 1 and 2?

I was very happy with the MR I and II. My daughter is starting the community college in her senior year and she is just taking the placement tests there so I don't know how she would score on SAT's. She used to really struggle with math, but now loves it. If you have a child that is mathy though, I would recommend something a little more intensive.

Veronica

My oldest (who never loved math) is finishing Algebra 1 with Math Relief and everything has been great! It almost seems too good to be true!

Her younger sister (who loves math/science) will be starting Algebra 1 next year in 8th grade. Can you explain why I would need something else for her since she is "mathy"?

Thanks,

Marcie in GA

DS did MR Algebra I in 8th grade along with LOF and MR Algebra II in 10th along with LOF. (Geometry was in 9th). His understanding of Algebra is incredible. He KNOWS algebra. He took the ACT back in February and scored a 27 on the math subtest.

Also, we have been please with the help we have personally received from Mr. Firebaugh himself. He has answered any questions that we had in a timely manner. And his wife is SO sweet too.

I didn't think that this program was going to work for my right brain, very creative dd who is coming along 22 months behind her big brother, but even though she says Mr. Firebaugh is a little dry, compared with CD or TT, she too is doing VERY well with this program and is GETTING IT! Woo Hoo! We will be keeping this for the WHOLE family. It is a keeper here at the our house.

We will be moving on to CD PreCalc for ds in the fall. It is time. He is ready.

You can read Cathy Duffy's review of this program in her 100 Top Picks book.

Blessings,

Brenda:001_smile:

We used just Phases I & II w/dd#1 who then did SOS Geometry (UGH!) She scored high enough to get into college level maths (Statistics & Interm. Alg.) which was fine w/us. She did those 2 then College Alg. which is all she needs.

My oldest (who never loved math) is finishing Algebra 1 with Math Relief and everything has been great! It almost seems too good to be true!

Her younger sister (who loves math/science) will be starting Algebra 1 next year in 8th grade. Can you explain why I would need something else for her since she is "mathy"?

Thanks,

Marcie in GA

Algebra II didn't touch on logs or cocentric (I don't think I'm spelling this right) circles. If a child is going into a math field, I would want to go into a little more depth on both this as well as more intensive word problems and work with the graphing calculator. However, this is could be achieved by pulling the information from another program or possibly doing pre-calc through Teaching Textbooks or another publisher. I agree that a child knows math after completing this program.

Veronica

Algebra II didn't touch on logs or cocentric (I don't think I'm spelling this right) circles. If a child is going into a math field, I would want to go into a little more depth on both this as well as more intensive word problems and work with the graphing calculator. However, this is could be achieved by pulling the information from another program or possibly doing pre-calc through Teaching Textbooks or another publisher. I agree that a child knows math after completing this program.

Veronica

Veronica,

I'm curious if your child did all three phases of Math Relief Algebra II, since the latter phases only came out fairly recently. Just wondering if your opinion is the same after doing all 3 phases.

My dd only did through the first phase of Algebra II. I felt her knowledge of algebra was excellent, and I will definitely use Math Relief with my youngest. I feel Mr. Firebaugh is truly gifted in teaching algebra. But dd didn't choose college, nor did she do beyond phase I of Algebra II, so I can't speak for that.

I will say that I don't panic if there's a piece here or there that is skipped or needs to be pulled in from elsewhere, since every math program differs a bit. My older son never really got a geometry course in his public school at all (let alone geometry proofs, which folks mention around here a lot), due to different math changes there, and yet he earned a very mathy degree in Petroleum Engineering (in 4 years, with no make-up courses, and with academic scholarships).

But I'm curious to hear about the rest of Math Relief Algebra II, which we didn't have the first time thru.

Julie

Edited by Julie in MN

Veronica,

I'm curious if your child did all three phases of Math Relief Algebra II, since the latter phases only came out fairly recently. Just wondering if your opinion is the same after doing all 3 phases.

My dd only did through the first phase of Algebra II. I felt her knowledge of algebra was excellent, and I will definitely use Math Relief with my youngest. I feel Mr. Firebaugh is truly gifted in teaching algebra. But dd didn't choose college, nor did she do beyond phase I of Algebra II, so I can't speak for that.

I will say that I don't panic if there's a piece here or there that is skipped or needs to be pulled in from elsewhere, since every math program differs a bit. My older son never really got a geometry course in his public school at all (let alone geometry proofs, which folks mention around here a lot), due to different math changes there, and yet he earned a very mathy degree in Petroleum Engineering (in 4 years, with no make-up courses, and with academic scholarships).

But I'm curious to hear about the rest of Math Relief Algebra II, which we didn't have the first time thru.

Julie

Julie,

My dd just finished this up last year and did do the final phase. I agree that every program is different, and I must say that though a couple of topics weren't really touched on (as mentioned above) my dd really seems to know her math. She mentioned to me that she enjoys math so much she has considered minoring in it. I don't think she really will :D but I'm really happy with the progress she made in the program and what she learned. I have recommended this program to others. In fact, Algebra II is loaned out to a friend right now.

Veronica

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on the fence on that one. I want to get in Alg 1 & Geom for sure, and consider Alg 2 more optional. If I had a strong academic kid, like my oldest, I would have probably followed Mr Firebaugh's recommendations for homeschooling Algebra. Actually, my oldest did do Alg 1 & 2 right after one another (public schooled, but did Alg through a special college program).

I don't think you could go wrong either way, since Math Relief is easy to pick up in Alg. 2. My dd did MR 1 fully and then decided to do a phase of MR 2 several years later & had no problems at all.