Menu

cross post: Has anyone put dc in public school after hsing K-8? How did it go?

I am thinking about starting my 9th grader in the local ps. This is a decision that is not made lightly and I have 3 months to make it, but if you've been through this - could you offer insight about how it went?

I would probably put my rising 7th grade dd in the local middle school as well.

A plus - they both have some friends from church that go to the local schools, they are good girls and strong in their faith (especially the oldest) she is also not easily swayed by popular opinion. I actually have been talking to her about this and she sees pros and cons for both - at this point she would rather stay home, but would be willing to go if we had to go that route - my youngest (I only have the two) would be excited to go, but again is great with staying home as well.

I won't go into the reasons here, but they are related to need and not whim or want - again this choice is not made lightly.

I homeschooled my oldest from 1st grade to 3rd, so I can give some insight. While I am not thrilled with our public school overall, dd seems to have teachers that work well with her. I find it interesting that both your dc (both middle-schoolers) are so flexible. It's usually the middle schoolers that find change the hardest, so, kudos to you for doing such a fine job with them so far!

When my dd went to public school, she was thrilled. It hasn't been all smooth sailing but she's glad to be there.

I also understand, I think, you're 'inside' feelings. Sometimes what we WANT (for us, our kids, our family, etc) cannot always happen WHEN we want it. It's hard, I know. I'm dealing with some of those same issues.

Since you've said you've been homeschooling for some time, I'd wager you're feeling some remorse/grief at having to give this up? That's a normal feeling. I had that, too, when I put dd in public school. And, even though I want to bring her home for this next year, it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to do so...based on some needs of our family (mainly, income). It's hard for me to do this because I don't like her school, overall, but dh wants her to be able to walk home, so there we are.

I will definitely pray for you. And I hope I've helped you somewhat with my rambling! :0)

I haven't (and don't intend to) but several hsers I know have. All the dc have turned out to be honor students in ps, and one was the local valedictorian. At first, one mom told me, there was a real adjustment as her dc discovered that their classmates didn't like to learn and weren't interested in the subjects they were being taught (odd to her motivated homeschoolers), but they did like the clubs, sports, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I was a good decision for us. My dd started in 8th and loves it. She is a good kid and didn't have any social or academic issues.

I struggled with feelings of guilt and not knowing who I am. It was difficult to shift into not homeschooling. Make sure you have a plan for YOU because dd's days will be filled and at that age she won't need you to do much after school.

I won't go into the reasons here, but they are related to need and not whim or want - again this choice is not made lightly.

I put my oldest dd in public school in 7th grade. It was also based on need, dd did not really want to go. But- it was a great experience for her. She went to a charter school that only had 15 kids in her class. Teachers were great- she still goes back to visit them.

She just finished 9th at a public high school. She had an excellent year. She has her head on straight. She was appalled by a couple of her friends from middle school that started hanging with a bad crowd and doing drugs, etc. (Make sure you talk about how that does go on at public schools.)