Menu

Secular Writing Programs for middle school

OK. CW is out of the picture. Way too complex directions for me and too intensive. Also, expensive.

I am going to look at your review of Writeshop, Sue.

I own IEW TWSS and we have done just a wee bit from it. Obviously I need something more structured on a day-to-day basis with half a dozen kidlets. I think IEW will be useful for more specific tasks -such as outlining, where the kids can take their frustration out on the virtual teacher!

I own different levels of LL, originally bought for literary analysis. However, I guess each book is also a writing course (worth one semester)? Does anyone use LL as their only writing component?

I own IEW TWSS and we have done just a wee bit from it. Obviously I need something more structured on a day-to-day basis with half a dozen kidlets.

I have a copy of an email a lady wrote comparing WS and IEW. She had the same experience. Email me if you would like it.

I own different levels of LL, originally bought for literary analysis. However, I guess each book is also a writing course (worth one semester)? Does anyone use LL as their only writing component?

LL is not a writing course, imo. They do have writing projects, but very little writing instruction. They have 3 writing projects per book (or set of poems). Ds chooses 1. It's nice practice for what he's learning in WS.

Edited by Sue in St Pete

I second WriteShop. Pretty structured, and we found it highly effective in improving dd's writing. The only religious content is the instruction Sue mentioned that writing should be gracious and pleasing to the Lord, and occasionally samples of writing will have a Christian-related topic.

:)

Thanks everyone. I think I'll consider Writeshop. I have looked at the Writesource books, but they are too busy for me. Writeshop is expensive, but can be re-used.

For Writeshop users, if you have the time, please share what the initial learning curve is with this program as I read the TM is hard to initially get a grip on.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll consider Writeshop. I have looked at the Writesource books, but they are too busy for me. Writeshop is expensive, but can be re-used.

For Writeshop users, if you have the time, please share what the initial learning curve is with this program as I read the TM is hard to initially get a grip on.

I describe the learning curve in this thread.

Sue,

Thanks a bunch. You have been so helpful and I truly appreciate it.

It's funny because I have never looked at WS before, but now I wish I had gotten it last year. Oh well. What I like is that I can use it with a couple of kids at the same time and the checklists seem super. Hopefully I can order it soon so I can spend a few weeks reading through it.

BTW, about the student books, do you recommend getting one pr. student or is it easy to copy the pages or write the answers down on paper? Are those ring bound or how?

Sue,

Thanks a bunch. You have been so helpful and I truly appreciate it.

It's funny because I have never looked at WS before, but now I wish I had gotten it last year. Oh well. What I like is that I can use it with a couple of kids at the same time and the checklists seem super. Hopefully I can order it soon so I can spend a few weeks reading through it.

BTW, about the student books, do you recommend getting one pr. student or is it easy to copy the pages or write the answers down on paper? Are those ring bound or how?

One of the advantages of using the book with multiple students (assuming they are doing the same lesson) is doing the practice paragraph together. The more heads (and therefore ideas) the better.

The student book is 3 ring bound. I would try buying one and copying just the pages you need. If it's too much, buy another. There is much instruction that would not have to be copied. The answers to skill builders and brainstorming sheets could be written down on paper. Checklists would need to be copied. In their words:

To reproduce an entire book with intent to resell the original is a violation of copyright. This book may not be reproduced in its entirety; however, any consumable student worksheets and checklists may be reproduced for single family use only.

HTH!

Thanks again, Sue. I appreciate the info. Might be nice to get two student books even though I wouldn't want the boys to then write on the consumable pages since I have twins coming up who could then both have a copy. Hmm, I'll think about that one.

Nice to feel hyped about something during this rainy dreary week.

Have a good one.

Nadia

We are planning to use Flashkids' Fearless Guide to Research Papers for 6th. They are pretty cheap, $8 each for the guide and the workbook, and with a minimum of the inane 'chatter' that is in most middle school books.

They appear pretty straightforward, and I really want something that focuses on non-fiction report writing, rather than a program that tries to teach reports, poetry, short stories, etc etc!