Menu

Need your help...WA state Homeschool Testing

I have a friend who is looking for information on testing her own kids at home. Two of her three will need help reading the test. One has visual issues and the other just isn't reading at grade level and will need assistance. First, how do you administer one of the standardized tests...can you read it to them...even the reading comprehension section? We don't have to turn in the results, just have them on file, so I'm thinking if her kids can't do that part, she just writes that result down...

Links? Experience? Ordering?

TIA!

I would think that not being able to read at grade level would be precisely the point of the reading comprehension testing...showing where the child was at...so reading it to the child would defeat the purpose and then falsify the test results. A visual disability would be a different situation I would think though.

Another option is to have a consultant give a progress assesment. We did that when mysonwas younger. It is a more laid back approach generally. The consultant just talks with you and the child perhaps giving a few questions to see where they are at. We contacted ours through Family Learning Academy, but I don' know if they are still around.

I would think that not being able to read at grade level would be precisely the point of the reading comprehension testing...showing where the child was at...so reading it to the child would defeat the purpose and then falsify the test results. A visual disability would be a different situation I would think though.

Sorry, that part of my question was confusing. When I've observed the testing, they were read to (not the reading comp.) if they couldn't read the question. Of course, reading comprehension needs to be just that...what can they read and understand. However, having said that, is there a test that could gauge *understanding* as opposed to reading AND understanding? And I think I was clear but if not, what I meant about writing down their score was that they would just basically fail that portion and that would be recorded... In WA the test results are not sent to anyone. We're required to test and keep our results in our own files but unless you're being audited by the state, you have no requirement to send in results.

To be abundantly clear, I'm looking for the places to order the tests and the requirement for administering said test. I think I have that info now though.

Here is the link to the testing organization who facilitates in home testing. http://www.familylearning.org/ I think your friend should contact them directly and ask them the questions you were asking the board. I think they know all the rules, and they probably know where to direct her for the learning disabilities aspect also.

:iagree: That's what I was going to recommend, too. FLO is in WA. I think that when we received our testing materials there was some info on special needs situations, but I'm not sure. It would definitely be worth a call, though. :)

Here is the link to the testing organization who facilitates in home testing. http://www.familylearning.org/ I think your friend should contact them directly and ask them the questions you were asking the board. I think they know all the rules, and they probably know where to direct her for the learning disabilities aspect also.

FLO also has a teacher's assessment she can use instead of the CAT test. She can also do that herself at home.:)