Menu

favorite vocabulary-building method/program?

For those ages, I wouldn't do a separate vocabulary program. You might run across some vocab work in their spelling program, but I wouldn't go any further. I'd just keep reading to them, and when you come across a word that you think they won't/don't understand, you explain it. Or if you happen to know some prefixes/suffixes yourself, or Latin or Greek roots, you can explain those too. (Not that you have to stop your reading every other sentence to explain words...maybe at the end of each section or whatever. And not all the time either).

But mostly, just keep reading! I am convinced it is by far the best way to improve vocabulary at any age.

We're just starting out, so I'm not an expert. However, I purchased a Vocabulary Journal from Lakeshore for each of my dc (about $3 or $4 each), and whenever they run across a word in their reading which they don't understand, they write it down in their journal, look it up in the dictionary, write the definition, use the word in a sentence, write down one or two synonyms, and then draw a picture to correspond with the word. I only ask that they do one or two every few days, but they have enjoyed it so much, they usually do two per day. So far, it seems to be working -- they are learning new words and dictionary skills to boot.

I'll start Vocabulary from Classical Roots with my older dd in a year or two, but for now, this seems to be working well.

Thanks for these quick responses. Just to clarify--this is really a question on behalf of my oldest child, who is nine.

We do read quite a bit, both as a group and individually. We've been keeping a family "dictionary" for a couple of years now--essentially an alphabetized list of interesting words we come across and their definitions. That's been a fun and often amusing project.

My oldest was flipping through a friend's vocabulary workbook--I don't know what it was called--and liked it. The book itself didn't seem quite right but I thought he would like some kind of systematic vocabulary building program he can work on on his own. I have Latin from the Roots Up but we've never given that a go. I don't think it's what he has in mind but it's worth a try.