Menu

not sure what to do with my daughter

I'm going to be calling the dr. about my daughter but wanted to pass this by you all here.

She's 9, 3rd grade because of where her b-day falls. She went to ps for 1st and half of 2nd grade and I plan to keep her home through hs.

She's obviously going through a growth spurt right now. She's VERY thin but eating like a pig. She's very, very tall and her shoe size went up 3 sizes since 3/9! Anyway, in the midst of all of this she's also gotten 4 severe migraines in 2 - 3 weeks and is having a VERY hard time focusing. She's doing MUS and was doing very well until recently. Now she's getting most problems wrong.

I can even see during her syncro class she's having a hard time focusing.

Has any of your kids gone through this during a growth spurt? My boys didn't, and I homeschooled them, too. I'll also add that we've had to take of a LOT of time because we brought my mother home to live with us in January, and we're just getting back to a normal schedule in the past 2 - 3 weeks. That said, she's only got 5 weeks of math left, but she's REALLY struggling. She can do multiple digit multiplication well in my presence but not when she's alone. She gets the answers right but is carrying in all the wrong places.

Thanks for any help/advice/suggestions,

Denise

I'm trying to remember how old my daughter was when she went through a horrific growth spurt and went up a shoe size in a week! I think she was younger than your daughter, though. You said she was really skinny, is she going through any signs of puberty (probably breast buds at that age)? That can kinda make you inattentive (ask me how I know!).

I'm more concerned that her inattention is also at the same time as some severe migraines (but at this time of year, it might also be pollen or hormones).

So, all that to say, I don't know but sometimes kids do just go off and lose their minds. I wonder if there's another way you can approach her math or take a half step back to let her regroup while she's having these periods of inattention.

I'll be interested to hear what your doctor says.

I agree with Heather. I wouldn't be very concerned about the math blip - I've gone through that with all of mine. Your daughter can easily make up anything she's "behind" in later. All that grade designation is pretty arbitrary anyway. The main thing is that by about age 13-14 she should have learned the four arithmetical operations, decimals, fractions, percents and measurement. She's got plenty of time to get those down between now and then.

I, too, would be concerned about the headaches. My daughter (16) has had migraines for years and I took her to a neurologist. He ran lots of tests and came up with nothing and concluded that she is like a lot of young girls who seem to be plagued with tension headaches. I was glad to have had all the tests run, though, so I could have peace of mind that nothing more serious was going on.

Denise,

Is this your adopted daughter? If so, you might want to see a pediatric endocrinologist to rule out precocious puberty as a cause of the rapid growth and migraines. Migraines can be hormone-related, so if she's entering puberty, they may be the culprit. Precocious puberty is more common in kids whose early lives include malnutrition, so if she was in an orphanage or a sub-optimal home as a young child before you adopted her, she's at more risk of early puberty. It's relatively common in internationally-adopted girls. Our adopted daughter had it and was treated for about 18 months with Lupron.

Another thing to consider is food sensitivities. Food sensitivities can cause migraines and inattention/brain fog. If she's having a reaction to some food categories, she might be ravenous, but not be getting all of her nutrients. Watch for foods she craves -- those may be the problem, b/c for some kids, the foods they CRAVE are the ones they need least.

Also, avoid preservatives, MSG, corn syrup and artificial colors as much as you can, as these may trigger migraines.

FWIW, when I start to get migraine symptoms (auras, etc.), I take GABA, and the migraine never occurs. Ask your pediatrician before giving GABA to your daughter, of course.

Lisa

Not to be an alarmist here, but Ewing's Sarcoma is a kind of cancer that can occur in kids during a huge growth spurt. I have a friend who's son died from it a few years ago. I definitely think you should have your dd see her ped for a good work-over. Hopefully, it's nothing and she's fine, but my friend deeply regrets not having her son examined sooner, before the cancer got so bad that treatments weren't helping.

Again, not trying to frighten you at all; just relating an experience a friend had with her son and a rapid growth spurt. :001_smile:

We had our oldest daughter tested for precocious puberty when she was 8. Turns out, she was well within normal range. I just didn't realize that puberty starts earlier these days.

Her doctor may refer you to a neurologist for testing regarding the migraines. My 10yo son has had them since he was about 3 (as did all my other boys).

Like the other posters said, don't worry about the math. She will catch up. My 9yo dd who is also 9 in the 3rd grade makes some of the same mistakes your daughter makes. We go over the SAME things every day. She is my child #6 and so I understand by now that she will get it sooner or later. :001_smile:

Another thought. When I was 8 I went thru a huge growth spurt and ended up having petite mal seizures as a result. Does she seem like she can't focus or like she is spacing out?

Yes, this is one of the tests the neurologist did on my daughter (with the electrodes on the head and the flashing light). That's why I highly recommend seeing a neurologist. Please keep us updated. I will be praying you will find an answer soon.

So migraines start at puberty with girls? That is so interesting to me, because my son's neurologist reminded me this week that boy's migraines usually stop at puberty (which was true with my older three).

Not necessarily. I knew a girl who's migraines had started when she was a toddler. But for both me and my sister they started with puberty. And I believe it was the same with at least one female cousin.

I just wanted to point out that we are also doing MUS Gamma (my twin boys) and around the same place your dd began struggling, my boys also struggled. The 3 digit multiplication problems are what gave us problems. Math began taking over an hour and frustration levels were very high. A lot of mistakes as it really challenged them to know their multiplication tables more solidly than they did.

Denise,

Is this your adopted daughter? If so, you might want to see a pediatric endocrinologist to rule out precocious puberty as a cause of the rapid growth and migraines. Migraines can be hormone-related, so if she's entering puberty, they may be the culprit. Precocious puberty is more common in kids whose early lives include malnutrition, so if she was in an orphanage or a sub-optimal home as a young child before you adopted her, she's at more risk of early puberty. It's relatively common in internationally-adopted girls. Our adopted daughter had it and was treated for about 18 months with Lupron.

Another thing to consider is food sensitivities. Food sensitivities can cause migraines and inattention/brain fog. If she's having a reaction to some food categories, she might be ravenous, but not be getting all of her nutrients. Watch for foods she craves -- those may be the problem, b/c for some kids, the foods they CRAVE are the ones they need least.

Also, avoid preservatives, MSG, corn syrup and artificial colors as much as you can, as these may trigger migraines.

FWIW, when I start to get migraine symptoms (auras, etc.), I take GABA, and the migraine never occurs. Ask your pediatrician before giving GABA to your daughter, of course.

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

no, this is not my adopted daughter. I was aware of precocious puberty but never heard of it being connected to early malnourishment! I thought it had to do more with guessing the wrong age. I thank you for your reply, because I will have to remember that in a few more years!

We dont' eat MSG or corn syrup, but I'm going to check out GABA.

Thanks!

Denise

Our dd ate voraciously and was thin....it turned out to be type 1 diabetes. Now I look at skinny kids differently. There are many possible causes for headaches and I would take her to the pediatrician. Be well!

Because my mother is a diabetic, I have all the supplies here at home. Her fasting blood sugar is completely normal...

thanks!

Denise

Another thought. When I was 8 I went thru a huge growth spurt and ended up having petite mal seizures as a result. Does she seem like she can't focus or like she is spacing out?

she has been tested, tested, and retested. We have found nothing wrong to date but she does have migraines (which is why I took her out of school. I'm CERTAIN the flourescent lights were making her sick and until a few weeks back, NO migraines for 22 months!) and they go back at least four generations in our family. We also questioned whether or not she was having seizures. If she ever did, I think she's outgrown them.

I don't notice her "staring off" but she admits she's having a hard time focusing.

We had her seen by five pediatricians, two pediatric neurologists and a pediatric cardiologist now. She used to have.... "episodes" where she'd lose her vision, become dizzy, lose her balance and sometimes fall and hit her head, become VERY week, her lips would turn blue and it would radiate up to her nose and under her eyes. This happened for over a year and then stopped. It started up again about 18 months ago, but this time with sudden onset nausea and aura would kick in. Her lips would turn blue. If we're in the car, we have to pull over until her dizziness stops. She had issues on and off for about 2 - 3 months, then nothing since until now. Both neurologists tested her for seizures and found nothing.

She DOES have a pineal cyst on her brain stem, and the neurologist at Boston Children's totally downplayed that. I'm certain it's THE cause of her aura and migraine. She also has sudden onset dizziness and severe nausea and I've read the cyst can cause that.

I called BC and they will see her...... IN JULY. :confused: I also have a call into the pediatrician but they haven't called back yet.

The high eating volume and growth are normal, I've been through this before. I was also told the migraines would get worse around puberty, but she's not there yet. No breast buds, although she sure wishes SOMTHING would happen there. :lol:

Thanks ladies,

Denise

So migraines start at puberty with girls? That is so interesting to me, because my son's neurologist reminded me this week that boy's migraines usually stop at puberty (which was true with my older three).

actually, my daughter has several friends who are the same age as her and they all started with their migraines at age 5 and younger.

I hate that she has to go through this. I was fortunate because I was 36 before I had my first. They're VICIOUS and my heart aches for her.

Denise

I just wanted to point out that we are also doing MUS Gamma (my twin boys) and around the same place your dd began struggling, my boys also struggled. The 3 digit multiplication problems are what gave us problems. Math began taking over an hour and frustration levels were very high. A lot of mistakes as it really challenged them to know their multiplication tables more solidly than they did.

thank you!

I know that is an issue with us! She memorized ALL her multiplication facts but hasn't retained them. Siiiiiiiiiiigh. We know what she'll be working on.....