Menu

Cock-a-doodle-doo! Smiles!

So...out of the blue...if you hear a rooster crowing in your non-farming neighborhood...can you make the assumption that your neighbor has a "Little Jerry Seinfeld" in his backyard?

Smiles!

My hubby and I are trying to decide if we should call about this...or, leave it alone. ?? We seem to be the only ones that ever report anything that goes on in our part of the neighborhood. Sigh... Can other neighbors really not care about things like this?

Oh well...

~Holly

I would check your local ordinances first. They may or may not be permitted to have chickens.

If they are not permitted, I would try talking to them first.

If that does not provide satisfactory results, then call.

If they are permitted, well, I just don't know that there is anything that can be done. One can not stop a rooster from cock-a-doodle-dooing.

You could talk to your neighbors about the annoyance but I'm not sure they would accommodate you.

I'd probably crack up laughing, but I grew up on a farm and love the sound of a rooster in the morning.

If the rooster is not actually bothersome to you, I'd say leave the whole thing alone.

If it is bothering you, please talk to your neighbors politely before you report them. It's near impossible to keep roosters from crowing in the morning, but at least they'll know it's waking you earlier than you'd like, and hopefully they will either try to stop the rooster or get rid of it altogether. Or they'll introduce you to the rooster and you'll just think it's the coolest thing ever. :D

Check your city ordinances. Many cities that allow backyard chickens do not allow roosters because they crow way too early in the morning. If your city allows roosters and your neighbors choose to keep the rooster, then you'll probably have to let the whole issue go. (Maybe you'll grow to love the sound of a rooster too? ;) )

If your city doesn't allow roosters and your neighbors aren't responsive, then you'll have to decide if it's worth reporting.

Cat

One of our neighbors has a rooster. I'm not sure where the crowing is coming from, but I like to hear it. It's not that loud, & oddly, it crows at various times throughout the day.

Sorry about yours, though. I'd trade an early-rising rooster for my neighbors who have loud-music cars honk to pick them up between 1-6 AM most nights. :D

Smiles!

Oh...we're not going to do anything about it. It's not the rooster noise that bothers me/us...it's the possibility that his little guy is being used for fighting. I hope not!

This rooster makes noise all day long...but, it's not bothersome at all. YES...it does beat the loud car music that we ALSO have to contend with.

Sigh...

~Holly