Menu

CLE LA for a kinesthetic learner? (age 7)

amandajh

I have recently been trying to figure out how to help my son with reading comprehension and memory work. He seems to have a hard time listening to a short story and narrating and memorizing math facts or our Bible flashcards. According to what I have read, he seems to fit into the tactile or kinesthetic learning "slot". I had planned on using CLE LA next year, and was wondering if any of you have an opinion about using it with a "hands-on" learner.

My daughter seems to fit into the visual learner type, and I know she would be fine using CLE. This year we tried FLL and WWE with not much luck. I now realize that oral lessons make it harder for both my children to understand and remember things.

So if CLE is not the best, what opinions are out there??

I wouldn't recommend CLE for him , especially for 1st grade. You could use it later--children might change and mature as they reach 8-9 yrs old.

I would suggest something like ALL ABOUT SPELLING , playing and making words with letters tiles(you can find them cheap at Walmart and for grammar&punctuation , make homemade punctuation signs.

I wouldn't recommend CLE for him , especially for 1st grade. You could use it later--children might change and mature as they reach 8-9 yrs old.

I would suggest something like ALL ABOUT SPELLING , playing and making words with letters tiles(you can find them cheap at Walmart and for grammar&punctuation , make homemade punctuation signs.

What do you mean by homemade punctuation signs?

OH.....I was trying to make that way too hard!! :)

Why is AAS so expensive? Is it really worth the money for spelling?

I wouldn't try CLE with a kinesthetic/tactile learner. It is truly your traditional - but advanced - workbook curriculum. The only way I would use it is if I were willing to change the format of it ---meaning I would not have ds write all the material, I would turn part of it into games or make lapbook components with it. However, to confuse you more, if you wanted to try it CLE is inexpensive enough that you could get one LU and give it a try to see.

I agree that AAS and games would be a great place to begin. If you have a good library look at some of the grammar story books ---we had fun reading those when my middle ds was younger and then we'd decorate notebooking pages to match the concepts we learned. For example, when we read about Nouns we made pages in various colors and he told me nouns and I wrote them --then he drew pics to illustrate, or we used sidewalk chalk outside and wrote nouns we knew, and I made cards for the parts of speech and he labeled everything in our house. I would write sentences on sentence strips and place them around and he'd have stickies for punctuation and punctuate them correctly, etc.