Menu

Worldly Wise question

jenL

I was just reading that Worldly Wise starts as early as Kindergarten. Ds will be in 1st. Do any of you use it for children that young? If yes, can you tell me what your child thinks, and if no, why have you chosen to wait?

Thanks!

We've used Wordly Wise for all the children and began with the A,B, C then moved onto the numbered books. The numbers coincide with grade level....book 1 is for 1st, 2 for 2nd etc. We love the Wordly Wise books. They are so easy to schedule. :hurray:

Hm, this is where I am confused. I used A, B, and C. Next year I want to use 1. The level 1 I have is definitely not first grade. Have they since changed how this works? In lesson 1, for example, the words are: benefit, complete, develop, dismay, ease, hail, lack, master, patriot, project, recommend, remark, represent, sufficient, and utter. That doesn't seem like 1st grade to me.

I think the older version-Wordly Wise started w/level A, B, C, and then went to 1,2 etc. The newer version, Wordly Wise 3000, has books corresponding w/grade level-K, 1, 2, etc.

Yes, there are several versions and it is confusing! :)

There was originally the Wordly Wise series, which was replaced several years ago by Wordly Wise 3000. This version had books A-B-C, followed by book 1 (meant to be used in 4th-ish grade).

The newest version, Wordly Wise 3000 Second Edition, labels the books according to intended grade level. The K and 1st book are done mostly orally and could easily be skipped. The 2nd grade includes the words from the old A book and part of B book. The 3rd grade includes the rest of the words from the B book and the C book. The 4th grade is like the old book 1.

Annoying, but at least logical. :)

Here is a chart comparing the versions:

http://epsbooks.com/downloads/other/ww3k_2E/ww3k_differences.pdf

Here is a link to the online games you can play with the newer version:

http://wordlywise3000.com/ (then click Students)

Hi there.

I wouldn't start till grade two as the workbook can not be done without the teacher's kit. I bought the workbook and realized too late that I needed to pay 60 some dollars for the complete kit... and you NEED it in order for the workbook to work.

However, if you DO want to buy the whole thing... I do have an unused workbook.

HTH,

Deb

Yes -- the K and 1 books of the second edition must have the teacher's kit. This includes the stories, poems, and picture cards that are used for the lessons. The student books have pictures to go with the stories that you cut out and put in order, direction-following activities the teacher reads aloud, and simple color and circle activities related to the story the teacher reads.

These two levels could easily be skipped, the true Wordly Wise format starts in the new Book 2. I am doing these two levels, but I will using it with all 4 younger ones eventually, so $60 / 4 isn't as bad. :) I also have the "problem" that the younger ones want to do whatever big brother is doing, so when he does his Wordly Wise, they feel very big to be doing their own Wordly Wise books. :)

Hi,

I'm using Wordly Wise 3000 for Kinder, and Plan to use it next year in 1st Grade. I enjoy it, and my daughter loves it - she likes the stories and the activities... I got the full package (with concept cards, TM, etc) and I think it was a great investment... It has the lessons divided into 2 weeks and 3 days of work per week.. is some what scripted, but I've "modified" as needed.. for example one of the activities has the kids touching the nose every-time they hear one of the new words on the story; I simply tell her to jump (she enjoys this much more) - it is however written for classroom setting - something to keep in mind like when the instructions say to pair kids or have them work in groups...

I think this has been a great investment and is something we're enjoying and plant to continue to use...

PLUS - and this is outside the realm this was intended for - I think the concept cards are so well designed to serve as a visual cue for the word itself, that I've use it to also cue the word in a foreign language (Am I making myself clear? I sure hope so - if not let me know and I can further explain - LOL )..

Kate

As always, great answers, ladies! I have some thinking to do. I did not realize I would need the kit, and I've pretty much hit my budget for next year. We may be waiting until 2nd afterall.

On another note... does anyone feel that just reading great books provides the child(ren) with vocabulary instead of needing a curriculum? I'm torn between these two philosophies...

Suzanne,

I agree with you - My daughter loves it and is one of her favorite things to do (along with "Can you find me?").. I haven't seen the 1st grade or the 2nd grade, so I'm not sure how much different the program is... bu is good to know that in 1st grade is still interesting and exciting...

Kate

Jennifer,

You could definitely provide vocabulary through reading good books... there are many words that my dd knows that she has "picked" up from our readings - which makes sometimes our History readings a bit longer - every few words or sentences: "what does that word mean?"

The curriculum just makes it easier and entertaining and you have your set of words... Both things work well together..

Hope this helps..

Kate

As always, great answers, ladies! I have some thinking to do. I did not realize I would need the kit, and I've pretty much hit my budget for next year. We may be waiting until 2nd afterall.

On another note... does anyone feel that just reading great books provides the child(ren) with vocabulary instead of needing a curriculum? I'm torn between these two philosophies...

My dc read a LOT. We tried WW3000, and after half the book gave it up because it just seemed like busywork...and doing the same things every chapter. I started pre-testing my dc and they usually already knew many of the words.

With my youngest, we discuss words during read-alouds as they come up.

YMMV!