Menu

Children's Dictionary recommendation?

I'll second this. We got this dictionary after getting recommendations here and this has been perfect. My 8 yo couldn't use my old collegiate dictionary--to hard to look up the words, read small print, find the definition after the info on where the word comes from, etc. So we got this dictionary and she has been able to look up words on her own. I was worried that a kid dictionary would leave out too many words, but every word that she needed to look up for Writing Tales vocabulary was in this book. Both dds like the photos and will sometimes read entries for fun. I discovered this spring that this is also the dictionary that Sonlight sells. It is marketed as being for grades 6-9 but fits a homeschooling 3rd grader just fine.

I'll second this. We got this dictionary after getting recommendations here and this has been perfect.

:iagree: I'll third the American Heritage Student Dictionary. Also got it after reading recommendations here. The Children's Dictionary by the same publisher looked like it would be outgrown too quickly, and my 8yo has no problem looking things up in the Student Dictionary.

And... we actually find the words we look up in the dictionary! - one would think that would be a given, but the whole reason we were in the market is we kept not finding the words we were looking up in the 3 or 4 dictionaries we had on hand!! :glare: