Menu

Best place(s) to buy a chalkboard?

Narnian

Anyone know of a reliable (and affordable) place to buy large, wall-mounted chalkboards online? The office supply places nearby don't carry chalkboards--only whiteboards. And if I'm going to have to order online, I was hoping to order from a company that gets a thumbs-up from the collective experience of the WTM forum. :)

Another question: is there much of a difference between surface finishes (porcelain vs. Duroslate, for example)? I'd like to find something that is magnetic, but other than that, I'm not sure what to look for.

I got mine from www.classroomdirect.com

I don't remember the exact brand but it was about $170 for a 3' x 5'

I too have been looking. I love my chalkboard from the Teaching Tools store and I want the same kind only larger!

So is yours nice and smooth as far as writing goes or is it somewhat etchy? I got one from Officemax before the one from Teaching tools and it was very etchy.

And also, there's US Markerboard, but I'm going to this link to check it out.

I found my chalkboard on craigslist. It is 6'x4' and it cost me $30. It was from a school that was converting all the boards to whiteboards. It was basically brand new.

My whiteboard is also from Craigslist. It's 8'x4' and it cost me $40. This one was from a local company that was going out of business. It was actually still in the box.

Geneva

My board is not smooth, smooth like slate and is not magnetic, but I have 2 magnetic white boards so I didn't need that part. Although it's not a high end slate board it's smooth enough to right easily on. I tried the chalkboard paint and no matter what I did it came out with a texture from the roller or brush and just wasn't working for me. I also have a White M.I.C.E. Wheasel rolling thing that has a chalkboard on one side and white board on the other, but it was just too small for us. I found the one I got on the site here it is, the $170 price was with shipping.

I like a chalkboard up through 1st or 2nd, but now that my dd is older, we LOVE our whiteboard. I say get a whiteboard. It's so much more flexible, with all the colors that you can use to differentiate and explain things. Definitely go whiteboard. We never use our big chalkboard anymore, now that we've gotten used to the whiteboard.

Our local Lowe's Home Improvement stores carry chalk boards in the wall paneling section. They also carry dry erase (shower board) boards there too. I bought mine about 3 or so years ago and they were about $10 for 30 inch by 48 inch size. Applied to the wall with paneling nails and it was easy.

-crystal

• 3 weeks later...