Menu

Tell me More foreign language courses

for German but I find it a bit too much (too many options and at a higher level) if the student doesn't have any experience with the language...so mine are doing RS first (they started last year and are on the 2nd level now)...for high schoolers just starting, RS could be long to do, so you might want a different preliminary program that condenses the language experience

I have no experience with that program, but my son just started the E-Learn Deutsch from the Goethe institute. It is expensive, but at the end of the course, he gets to do a GI exam that is recognized worldwide for placement.

asta

How expensive is it?

It looks like at least 600 Euros and it seems they are using the Tell Me More system...but they have you send in 9 lessons...

I checked it out as it might be useful for us in the future...

Asta - I should check out your posts on the bilingual board to remind myself of your language background....In the meantime...is there anything besides the GI exam that helped you choose this program?

for German but I find it a bit too much (too many options and at a higher level) if the student doesn't have any experience with the language...so mine are doing RS first (they started last year and are on the 2nd level now)...for high schoolers just starting, RS could be long to do, so you might want a different preliminary program that condenses the language experience

Thank you for sharing. Sounds like this might be best used for a year 3-4 of the same language and not a beginning course.

It looks like at least 600 Euros and it seems they are using the Tell Me More system...but they have you send in 9 lessons...

I checked it out as it might be useful for us in the future...

Asta - I should check out your posts on the bilingual board to remind myself of your language background....In the meantime...is there anything besides the GI exam that helped you choose this program?

German was my son's first schooled language. His mother tongue is English, but he started school in Germany. His first written language was French. He has quite a bit of German (according to his last tutor), but it is "back there" (eg: hanging out in his subconscious).

I don't have access to many school or any homeschool resources (groups, co-ops, external classes, etc.) where I live, and my library is pretty bad, so external options (college classes, etc.) are out of the picture. Also, I need DS to learn German (again) from a German point of view, rather than as a second language - as it isn't a second language for him, it's essentially a first. [at least, this was my initial feeling on it, and it was confirmed by a few different German teachers]

I'm making him start back at the beginning so that he won't have any grammar holes, though.

FWIW, my German is terrible: I speak French. My husband speaks German.

asta

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76904&highlight=aurolog

Here is a link to my review.

As a side note my middle ds will not be using ABeka with a tutor next year, so after these threads

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88464&highlight=Spanish

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91358&highlight=Spanish

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95377&highlight=spanish

Ds will be using SOS Spanish next year. While oldest ds felt that Tell Me More reinforced what he was learning with the tutor and helped him speak more fluidly, middle ds did not feel that it added anything except hours of frustration.

HTH-

Mandy

ETA- Doing a search for Auralog turns up threads on this topic. HTH

Edited by Mandy in TN

Thank you for sharing. Sounds like this might be best used for a year 3-4 of the same language and not a beginning course.

Jean,

3 of my kids have been using Aurolog TMM French this yr. My 4th and 7th graders use it as their primary French 3 days/wk and work with me 2 days and my 9th grader just supplements her French 1 class with it.

My 10 yod is 1/2 way through disc 2. My 13yos just started the 2nd.

My kids have had zero problem using the program and have learned a lot. I'm not sure how I would feel about using it for high school credit, though I know people that do. I am probably over the top in what I consider credit worthy.

If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer.

Jean,

3 of my kids have been using Aurolog TMM French this yr. My 4th and 7th graders use it as their primary French 3 days/wk and work with me 2 days and my 9th grader just supplements her French 1 class with it.

My 10 yod is 1/2 way through disc 2. My 13yos just started the 2nd.

My kids have had zero problem using the program and have learned a lot. I'm not sure how I would feel about using it for high school credit, though I know people that do. I am probably over the top in what I consider credit worthy.

If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer.

Thanks for the info! I wondered @ credit or not. We used RS and I didn't give credit for it either.

Sounds like this might be best used for a year 3-4 of the same language and not a beginning course.

I realized that in a way our situation is different because our children are learning German as their second foreign language, so I have had a much more relaxed approach (If they learn anything I'm happy)...But recently, with Asta's post about the E-learning and GI exam, I've been rethinking the possibility of being more rigorous about it, so they could take an exam...

Thinking aloud here...TMM users please speak up!

So about TMM...for high school, I wouldn't say year 3-4...I'd say, use a more condensed program for the first semester of the language experience (or if they are coming in from jr. hi with RS under their belt - that should suffice)...I've read that enthusiastic students jump right in, but not everyone can do that..then use the TMM for either the second semester plus a year, or 1st yr and a half or so.. (if they've already done RS)..This is a completely gross estimate. But I make it based on watching some Swiss girls learning English at home as their second language with TMM and them not finding it rigorous enough for a high school language course...

Maybe the people who have used TMM can say if it has prepared them well enough for an SAT II test or even better an AP test?...if not, then you'd need to have something more paper-based with some literature and composition included for year 3-4...I don't mean literature analysis, just comprehension of longer texts..and simple compositions...

There is something I wanted to point out about the Goethe system - yes, they do use Auralog's software, but there is also a live tutor that goes along with it. She assigns certain things for him to complete and send in for correction, as well as being available for questions.

So, yeah, it's expensive, but it's also 9 months of a tutor. Additionally, it is set up as "go as far as you can in 9 months", not "year 1, year 2, etc. So, if you have a kid who is really into it, they can push themselves and test out quite high (highly?).

asta