Menu

American History & SOTW

Shannon C

Does anyone do both SOTW and American history at the same time? I'd like to start our first world history rotation BUT I feel strongly about teaching my children American history in the early grades. My husband is in the military and I'm very politically and patriotically minded so it is important to us. How would I work this out? Maybe just read aloud SOTW (my original plan that we have not yet gotten around to)and skip activities for the first go around? I don't want them to be bogged down, but I do want them to have a strong foundation in world and American history. Or should I wait on SOTW, finish out 1st grade with American history and then move on? I also feel like I'm already behind b/c I'd like to squeeze in a year of intro. to world geography. My kids are 6(almost 7) and 5. If I did 1 year American and 1 year of geography before SOTW, my oldest would be 9 when we start the first world history cycle. Would that be okay?! I am having a hard time deciding what is best. Maybe it doesn't really matter?

I wanted my second grader to learn a little more AM Hist, but we were in the second year of the 4 year rotation, and having a pretty good time. So, I added in some materials, and was quite satisfied.

We used CLP's The Story of the Pilgrims for our November read-aloud. We learned about Columbus and other explorers of the New World (Vikings, etc) in SOTW 2, and we talked about patriotic symbols. I had her memorize the Pledge (and you can use Homeschool Huskies or Ponies to good effect here), and we always talked about whatever holiday was coming up. That was enough for us, until we get to SOTW 3, where Am History is really begun.