Menu

Runners-do people wear MP3s/ipods during races?

Meaning that it's in the rules they publish that no music devices are allowed. BUT I've seen people wear them anyway. I don't race with it if they tell me not to. Look at your race information, probably in your packet when you get your number.

This is what is in the FAQ at the Shamrock Marathon

16. Are headphones (iPods, mp3 players, etc) allowed during the race?

No. This is to ensure runner safety and comply with liability insurance policies.

If it has to do with liability insurance, I'd guess that most will say no. I haven't yet noticed one that says you can wear them.

I think it varies by race what the rules are. Personally, I never run with one because I'm a trail-runner and have had coyotes follow me before so I want to hear what's going on. Even at a race, I want to hear what's going on around me (you know, all the people saying "Passing on your left" :glare:).

I'm really bummed-for me it makes or breaks if I even do it! I'm going to call tomorrow to find out for sure. It is sponsored by USA Track and Field and I read somewhere online that for them, only the hopeful prize winners can't use audio equipment, but it's up to the discretion of the race directors. I guess I'll know tomorrow! Thanks!

Don't forget that running a 5K is a different feeling than running alone through the park. There are other people and noise around you. It's not at all boring.

If they don't allow your music, stuff your music in your head and hum or sing to yourself. :D

Happy running!

Most races do not allow headphones, like others have said, for safety reasons.

I think you will find that a race is totally different than a training run. The excitement of the crowd and the people, and the race will be over before you know it.

YAY-I called and they do allow them! I talked to the USA T+F guy that announces at the race and he said they are allowed. I just hope I don't get there and find something different, but I guess if I do, I can just make the best of it and hope you guys are right about the excitement factor! Thanks!