Menu

I will never shop at Payless Shoes again (rant inside)

They are pestering me and I can't take it anymore! My kids needed a cheap pair of flip flops to wear on our vacation. I was in the same shopping center as a Payless, so I took them in.

They each picked out a pair and I started to check out. I pulled out the cash and the lady asked for my phone number. I told her no. She asked for my address and again I said no. She asked for my email address and yet again I said no. I asked why and she told me it was collected as demographic info for store locations. Huh, my email will help that? :confused:

She said they could process the transaction without the info and asked if I'd be paying in cash. About that time my little one started asking for lunch and since I had more errands to do, I decided to spend the cash on lunch and pulled out my credit card instead.

I guess that opened the door for them to now call me every other day with a recorded sales notice and bombard my mailbox every few days with junk mail. I didn't know they could get that info from using a credit card.

I've spent an hour getting my phone number removed from their call list (they use another company for this) but there's no telling how many other companies now have my info because of this other company's policy to share lists. :banghead: Hopefully I can get off their mailing list too.

Years ago JCPenny did something similar to me and I haven't set foot in one of their stores since. I'm sure they've missed my business ;) but I stick to my principles!

I would contact the cc company and ask about their privacy policy. If you opted in to receive "coupons or discount offers" you need to opt back out.

If they didn't give your information out, then I would wonder if it is a coincidence. Either way I would push to get your name off of their list, other wise it will continue to get passed around to other companies.

If you need to give a phone number give one with any area code, 555-0xxx. The 555-0___ numbers are reserved for fictitious numbers on television, and the number will not ring to anyone's home.

I've been buying my kids shoes at Payless in 2 states since my 15 yo was under a year old, I've given them my phone number, I've used credit cards, and I have never received a phone call or email from them. I wonder if each local Payless is allowed to make its own marketing/advertising policy? That would be unusual for a franchise.

Motherhood, Mimi Maternity, and Pea in a Pod all do the same thing.

Yes, and they did it to me in a sneaky way. They will sign you up for magazine subscriptions WITHOUT ASKING and you have to pay for it. I contacted their district manager who took care of it for me.

This seems really odd to me. Stores ask me all the time for information about myself (phone number, zip code) and I generally decline to give it. I've never not been allowed to use a credit card because I wouldn't give them the information they ask for.

You might want to contact your CC company and find out if THEY gave your phone number, assuming you didn't give it yourself. And you might want to ask if the store can require you to give it if you use a card.

DH and I both have unusual last names so if I use my credit card or he uses his, I assume anyone can look our numbers up in the phone book. But even so, I am not giving it out!

Hmmm. Payless has my phone number, but they never call me. I get no e-mails or snail mailings or anything. I use a credit card there all the time, but have never noticed any connection between my junk mail and my Payless shopping.

I did make the mistake of calling in for their phone survey once. The clerk said they'd ask me a "few questions" and I'd get a coupon for $2. I called from my cell phone. After about 15 questions (On a scale from 1 to 5, blah-blah-blah), I just started answering "3" to every question. After another 15 questions, I hung up. I didn't need their $2 coupon that badly! That's been my only bad experience with PayLess.