Menu

Singapore -- Dumb question re Mental Math

I just got the TG for dd 7.5, who is currently in the middle of 2A. So far, I like it. However, I can't figure out how to do the mental math pages. Do I give dd the page of problems and ask her to figure them out in her head, without doing any written work at all -- i.e., showing the number bonds? Sometimes she still writes out the number bonds (and I encourage her to do so) for larger numbers (i.e., two digit and three digit numbers) to avoid confusion.

Should I be administering these as timed drills? And is she allowed to use the algorithms when she needs to?

These are dumb questions, I know, but all the TG says is "do the mental math sheet on page so-and-so" without giving any other guidance that I can find.

So how does everyone use these?

Thanks!

Mental Math sheet? Do you mean the problems listed in the textbook?

We do all problems in the textbook mentally. Sometimes I'll have the child write out something if I am teaching *how* to write it out (writing the borrowing/carrying algorithms, for example), or maybe if it's a new concept and they need to see something visually.

But we do all problems in the textbook in our heads.

All workbook problems we do either on paper or in their heads.

when doing mental math problems in the book (the revisions or practice problems), I sit next to the child while he works them out.

Mental Math sheet? Do you mean the problems listed in the textbook?

Thanks for your response! But no, I'm not talking about the textbook -- I'm talking about the problem sheets contained in the appendix in the Teacher's Guide ("TG"). They are scheduled in some of the lessons in addition to any textbook or workbook problems.

I'm not sure if these are also in the HIG, because I haven't seen one, but I'm guessing they are.

Oh, and this is for the Standards edition, if that makes any difference.

I dont' have the TG but the HIG. In that we have mental maths problems in the back. I have my daughter do them orally using the strategies from the HIG. I say, "376 plus 237" and she thinks and then answers, "613." I dont' show her the problem and she doesn't do any writing.

As I said, though, I haven't seen the TG but mental math is mental math, I guess. I imagine I'd do it that way either way. My reasoning for this is that I want her facil with numbers and computation on the spot w/o having to get some scratch paper to figure out the better buy at the grocery store or other such things. Also, I want her to be able to do the basics quickly mentally for those standardized tests later.

I have no mental math skills and could possibly be accused of over-compensating but even so, I think it's a good and useful thing to be able to do.

Many thanks, all! It sounds like everyone does it a little differently ... I think I'm going to have to just try a few different ways to see what works. I definitely want to get the benefit of the mental maths pages ... hearing the different ways everyone implements this is very helpful to give me some ideas.

I would ask your question on the Singapore math forum. They are SO GREAT in getting back to you and giving you advice. I just started Singapore a couple of weeks ago and the information that I've gotten from the advisors has been wonderful.