Menu

Do you own a dog(s)?

Guest sarathan

Guest sarathan

Hi!

How many of you own a dog? How many? Have you had them since puppies? Do you find it difficult to care for your dog and also take care of your kids, homeschool, maintain the house, etc? Just curious. :)

I have had him since he was a puppy. Before him I had one dog. There was a brief overlap when I owned both of them - never again. I am a one person at a time dog owner.

The puppy year is hard. Training takes time and he destroyed a few thintgs I wish he hadn't (a pair of glasses, my favorite boots, the skirt of my sofa, 2 pairs of Dansko clogs.) Going out of town and going on field trips is a bit tough because I have to find someone to let the dog out.

I adore him - he's so much fun and is a great watch dog, so I think he contributes to the family. We activated an electric fence around our house and it's the best thing I ever did. He likes to spend the mornings outside supervising what the neighbors are doing. So when I am homeschooling, he's not underfoot. He stays outside until after lunch (unless he wants to come in, which is fine, but he usually doesn't). In the afternoons he snoozes and sometimes goes with me to swim practice and tennis practice with the kids, which is when he gets his long walks.

He's adds a fair amount of housework because he sheds a good bit. But on the bright side, his coat is very fine, and any dirt comes out of it easily. I have him trained to come in the house and roll over on his back, sticking his feet up for cleaning. It's not too hard. My mother's poodle mix is much harder because her fur seems to hold the moisture and dirt.

I love owning a dog. He adds a lot of joy to my day.

We used to, and I miss it terribly :crying: We had a pug. He was completely awesome with the kids, although he wasn't well trained (completely our fault) for recall. He got out one Hallowe'en, the mom with the trick or treaters hoofed him like a foot ball, and he bolted, yelping. Diva ran after him, and witnessed him being killed by a speeding car.

We tried to bring another dog into our home, but discovered that for us, we are best to go with a puppy, from a breeder, rather than a rescue older dog, simply because our kids are younger, an older dog isn't always comfortable or prepared for the fast movements or noise of small ppl.

I'm really hoping to get another dog in the next year or so. If it were solely up to me, it would be my Mother's Day gift :D

No, it wasn't difficult at all to manage to care for a pet along with everything else. Housebreaking was interesting, mainly because I had a crawling infant at the time, but other than that, it was all good. I highly recommend crating.

We have a two-year old labradoodle. We have only had her for six months, so didn't go through the puppy stage. She's very easy going and trainable. She stays in the kitchen for the first two hours after breakfast, so that the boys can get through some concentrated work without being distracted. Apart from that, she lounges around happily while we work and occasionally gets her tummy scratched.

Our duties to her are: taking her out to her run for the toilet four times a day (she probably could cope with just three times, but that's the rhythm that works for us); taking her for a walk once a day; cleaning up the run (thirty seconds every day, twenty minutes disinfecting once a week or so); giving her food and water twice a day; brushing her twice a week (takes about an hour each time - she's very woolly); vet visit for injections once a year; worming at home every three months (a single pill); obedience classes - so far six classes of one hour each - and about half an hour of training a day in odd moments; bathing her once a month or so; visit to groomers every couple of months.

That's it. Once we got into the rhythm, it was all very easy. We all adore her.

Best wishes

Laura

We have 3 dogs. I wish I had said no to the friend about the 2nd dog. I wish I hadn't stupidly added the 3rd. I've considered finding homes for those two (both females), but I have guilt about it.

I've had the first and third since they were puppies. I have the middle one since she was almost one yr old.

We have a Border Collie and she's going on 4 years old this August. We got her when she was 1 year old and had been in two different homes. We had her professionally trained and she is an awesome dog. We are so enriched by her being in our family. As far as household responsibilities...we vacuum daily to keep up with doggy hair and I clean areas each day to keep everything spic and span. Ella Bella sits in on our homeschooling usually right beside us as we work..we are her "pack". :D

We have a pair of 3 year old Labs (one black and one yellow).

The big yellow one loves to camp out under the school table! The black one usually isn't in the way during the day.

The kids share in the care of them. The 9yr old is responsible for food, the 14yr old is responsible for water, and the 18yr old is responsible for making sure they get daily walks for exercise.

We have a fenced-in backyard, so we just let them out when they need to go.

We have hardwood floors on the main level of our house, so I do sweep them daily to keep them dog-hair-free.

We have two dogs, Penny and Trooper. They are great. They are easy to care for and my kids adore them. Penny is somewhat yappy and Trooper thinks he is the same size as Penny, though he outweigs her by 40 pounds, that is about the worst that can be said about them. We love them dearly. I'd love to have a third, but my husband would never go for it!

We have 3 dogs 2 Anatolian Shepherds and 1 terrier mix.

Our terrier is 20 years old but you do not know it, he is still very active and agile but def. aging.

Our male ASD is 5 and we acquired him as a foster dog rhight after his 2nd birthday.

Our female is 15 months old and we acquired her when she was 8 weeks old.

BUT... we also have 3 cats, 3 rabbits, 3 gerbils, 2 fish, 3 birds and 2 hermit crabs so yes, sometimes cleaning gets a bit overhwhelming.

We also have (now infrequent due to our finances) foster dogs and sometimes other critters as well come through the house.

My 9 year old has some of the chores, but for the dogs they are mainly my and hubbies chores.

My daughtert does work on training with all of our dogs though and does 4-H with our female ASD puppy.

We have a Border Collie and she's going on 4 years old this August. We got her when she was 1 year old and had been in two different homes. We had her professionally trained and she is an awesome dog. We are so enriched by her being in our family. As far as household responsibilities...we vacuum daily to keep up with doggy hair and I clean areas each day to keep everything spic and span. Ella Bella sits in on our homeschooling usually right beside us as we work..we are her "pack". :D

Our Elly Belle was a 3/4 Border Collie 1/4 Austrailian Shepherd and we were her "pack" for close to 15 years. We got her when she was 11 weeks and she herded the children happily until her last weeks, sigh.

We have a six year old Boxer/Beagle mix. She is so smart and sweet. We've had since she was a puppy, and she was very easy to train. I cannot say the same about our last dog. She was a Lab who was never outgrew puppy stage. We loved her, but she was difficult. We had to have her euthanized two years ago. I think we are a one dog family.

Hi!

How many of you own a dog? How many? Have you had them since puppies? Do you find it difficult to care for your dog and also take care of your kids, homeschool, maintain the house, etc? Just curious. :)

We have 3 dogs. The oldest was two when we got her and we got two labordoodle pups. For the most part I don't take care of the dogs, the kids do. It is part of their chores to feed and water them. They take them for walks, if the pups go somewhere with us they ride with the kids and they have to take them on potty runs and such.

I do most of the yard clean up and I pay for the dog food.;)

We have a standard poodle (maybe labradoodle). Our great dane died last summer at age 12. We never get puppies. I always work with rescues and get young adults. The poodle was 3 when we got her and we've had her 3 or 4 years now, I am losing track :001_smile:.

If you love dogs, they are no trouble, if not, they could drive you crazy. Ours are part of the family. Our poodle loves to cuddle on the couch with us, go for walk, play ball, whatever. We have a few acres and she has plenty of room to play. She requires quite a bit of grooming, but doesn't shed.

If you want a dog as part of your life, they will work right into the routine. If you don't want them as part of everything you do, don't get one. Neither of you will be happy.

They are also a lot of work, they tend to be dirty, they need attention. We have a eight-month old corgi, we got him when he was three months. The first couple months were very hard, as he was being house broken, wanted constant attention, and had to be watched at all times. Now that he's house broken, it's not so bad. He does need a lot of attention, though, and of course, all puppies are crazy.

Our puppy is a ton of fun, and we enjoy having him very much. We also have three cats and a snake, so there is no shortage of pet hair everywhere, and pet-related chores to be done. My DS feeds the cats their kibble, and picks up dog poops. I do the rest.

Michelle T

We have one mutt that we got at the Humane Society and one standard poodle we from a breeder that had been returned by a family. We got the mutt when he was around one year old...not sure of course. The poodle was four when we got her. Both of them were housebroken. We had previously gotten a lab puppy when we first got married who lived to be ten. I am very happy we chose to go with adult dogs. I think puppies are like babies...once you get to a certain age you just aren't equipped to handle them anymore!

The only difficulty is when we travel and have to board them. We use our veterinarian for boarding, and I have to plan waaay in advance and book them early.

It is terribly fun to go to school with your dogs!

We are owned by one 4.5 year old Siberian Husky. Training was... long. One year of puppyhood would have been nice. I felt like killing her almost every day for nearly 2 years. It was always something different too. She just kept coming up with new naughty things to get into! She even chewed the drywall once :glare: (and she had LOTS of toys). One time she chewed a flashlight into such tiny pieces that if it hadn't been for the tiny (untouched - thank goodness!) bulb I never would have know what it was. If I were to list the things she wrecked (one item was a sewing machine cord/foot pedal that cost me $100 to replace), you might be amazed she survived her puppy days! :lol:

We love her to bits though, and I can't imagine a dog-free home. I do occasionally dream about NOT vacuuming so much though. She sheds something fierce. She very seldom barks though which is something I really appreciate (Huskies are not watchdogs.:D).

You know what's really strange about her now? She never chews anything anymore ever--unless it's food.