Menu

Is outlining the same thing as taking notes?

I would think that learning dictation at an early age would prep them for begin taught how to 'take notes' later. My thought is that taking notes is a skill that needs to be taught in the high school yrs to prep a child for college courses. It would be difficult to make an outline of a lecture as it is happening.

Just my thoughts.

Related but different skill. Both should be taught in the middle school years for high school; I definitely used my note taking skills well before college.

We were expected to take notes 'from the board' in middle school, which meant the teacher wrote out either all of the notes for us to copy, or a rough outline so we'd know what to fill in. By 9th grade, there was no more help, and we were expected to take notes from lectures.

Yes, related but different skill. I teach my dc to take notes from a text as well as a speaker. A good way to do the latter is to have your middle schoolers take sermon notes. It eases them into notes from a speaker, since many homeschoolers just don't have the daily lecture format pervasive in the public/private school setting.

HTH,

Lisa

I agree, related but different skill. Taking notes allows you to get the information down for future ref. or study, while outlining organizes the info and is good in preparing for writing a paper. Although there may be more ways people use both, just ideas.

Yes, related but different skill. I teach my dc to take notes from a text as well as a speaker. A good way to do the latter is to have your middle schoolers take sermon notes. It eases them into notes from a speaker, since many homeschoolers just don't have the daily lecture format pervasive in the public/private school setting.

HTH,

Lisa

Great idea, thanks!

I teach my dc to take notes from a text as well as a speaker. A good way to do the latter is to have your middle schoolers take sermon notes. It eases them into notes from a speaker, since many homeschoolers just don't have the daily lecture format pervasive in the public/private school setting.

Now that's the best idea I've heard in a long time! :001_smile: