Menu

Best tips for weight loss?

Obviously, eating less and exercising more are the keys. But I would love to hear some specific tips for small, easy, but effective ways to achieve those goals. I need to lose 20 lbs, maybe 25. I'm not exactly known for my will power or stick-to-it ability. I have a tremendous sweet tooth.

Tips that will make weight loss doable?

Michelle T

When I start craving sweets I brush my teeth with very strong minty flavored toothpaste. Have you ever enjoyed sweets right after brushing your teeth? Yuck! Then I drink a large glass of water and it seems to take most of the craving away...at least for a little while. The cravings did subside after a few days or weeks, and my dentist loves me!!! :D

I think green tea really helps, as long as you are not putting sugar in it or artificial sweeteners. I drink only water, and herbal teas, so sugary drinks are not an issue for me. Also I really like Greens Plus chocolate energy bars or Greens Plus protein bars as an afternoon snack. They can be found at a discounted rate online. I also like homemade smoothies for breakfast, which usually consist of water, lower carb or unflavored whey powder, flax oil, couple tablespoons unflavored yogurt, and small amount of fruit or chocolate supergreens from Amazing Grass. It does not taste as bad as it sounds. That leaves lunch and dinner, which I try to leave out the bread, and pasta or eat very little bread and sugar. A multi vitamin is a must. Then walking no less than 1 hour each day. Not every diet works for everybody, so it is important to do what makes one comfortable and not stressing about it.

I've been using our Wii Fit since Christmas and found that seeing my weight daily has made a difference in how I think about what I eat and what I do for exercise. Doing it daily at roughly the same time each day helped me to have a better idea of what might have caused a gain (or hopefully loss!) and gave me motivation. I've also read about someone else who did this similarly, in that she and her husband kept a chart/graph next to the bathroom scale. They would weigh themselves at the same time each day and mark the result.

I have a sweet tooth as well, and it's helped me to still indulge in the things I like, but on a much smaller scale. Instead of having a dish of ice cream, I'll have just a spoonful or two.

Erica in OR

We (my husband and I) each lost about 40 lbs a few years ago, simply by planning our meals with Cooking Light recipes and tracking calories on Fit Day. After a small adjustment period, I found I was having to eat a snack and a glass of milk before bed just to meet my minimum calories. :D

I follow Weight Watchers like a maniac -- lost 45 lbs. and have kept it off for about three years.

My best advice: have food in the house that you love and is low cal. Don't let yourself get too hungry. Or even a little hungry. Literally eat every two hours or so.

Alicia

My sister gave me this tip: have an accountability partner. Take a picture of everything you are *about* to eat and email it to her.

I don't have much will power, either, and I have a mouthful of sweet teeth.:001_smile: Therefor, if I don't want to eat it, I can't have it in the house. My dh has been very good about this, too. I don't care where he eats his junk food, as long as it's not here. I want my dc to eat healthy foods, so this is good for all of us.

One thing I found out about *my* body (and/or my brain) is that I seem to be very sensitive to carbs. If I eat too many, my insulin spikes, then I need to eat more carbs. It seems to be a vicious cycle with me. I really don't know if it's physical, mental, or both. So...I follow an all natural, low carb diet. All my carbs come from fruit and veggies. I can't have sugar, bread, or too much oatmeal.

Last month I hired a personal trainer at the local university. It's cheaper than at a health club. He pushes me harder than I push myself, for some reason.:001_smile:

hth

Protein breakfast. Egg white omlettes work great. No carbs in morning as this can make you hungrier earlier.

Daily exercise in the morning before anything comes up.

Don't drink anything containing calories.

Don't have unplanned snacks. Or don't snack at all, whatever works better for you.

Use a smaller plate.

Allow yourself sweets (since you say that's your weakness) on a regular basis, just not too much too often. I find this helps because I don't feel like I'm completely depriving myself this way. There are certain sweets that actually aren't too bad calorie-wise, for example Fudgsicles are about 100 calories and not much fat.

Weigh yourself daily and record the weight.

Good luck! You can do it!

walking is great as much as you can, even if you have to break it up during the day. I added Metamucil(sp?) twice a day because it makes you feel more full. Acidophillus(sp?)- for some reason it helps.

In the book by Dr. Lee he says taking Chromium Picolinate helps with cravings.