Menu

Does WWE Level 1 fit an average 1st grader?

WWE is very gentle.

It is scheduled for 4 days a week.

Day 1 is copywork, starting about 5-8 words.

Day 2 is narration, you read a passage ask some questions, then they tell you one thing about the passage and watch as you write it down.

Day 3 is copywork.

Day 4 is narration again, but this time you write down thier sentance and they copy thier own words.

I don't think reading is as important as handwriting. You wouldn't want to start this with a kid who couldn't form all of the letters yet.

The reading issue would only come in becuase I think that is more important in 1st grade and if this small amount of copywork and the struggle that might come with it are are causing you to push off phonics instrution on some days, then I would wait on WWE.

WWE is very gentle.

It is scheduled for 4 days a week.

Day 1 is copywork, starting about 5-8 words.

Day 2 is narration, you read a passage ask some questions, then they tell you one thing about the passage and watch as you write it down.

Day 3 is copywork.

Day 4 is narration again, but this time you write down thier sentance and they copy thier own words.

I don't think reading is as important as handwriting. You wouldn't want to start this with a kid who couldn't form all of the letters yet.

The reading issue would only come in becuase I think that is more important in 1st grade and if this small amount of copywork and the struggle that might come with it are are causing you to push off phonics instrution on some days, then I would wait on WWE.

:iagree: to a tee.

My dd (who was exactly 6 when we started the year) is not yet reading fluently. She has enjoyed WWE very much, and it hasn't overtaxed her at all.

My ds is average when it comes to writing and it fit exactly right. He was almost 6.5 at the start of first grade. Now at the end of the year, we are doing more writing than WWE, so it is definitely not too much IMO. You can also take it slower. It looks like level 2 steps it up a bit but I think level 1 has him prepared.

:iagree: to a tee.

My dd (who was exactly 6 when we started the year) is not yet reading fluently. She has enjoyed WWE very much, and it hasn't overtaxed her at all.

Really? That's great! Maybe I should plan to start it with my 1st grader soon (who isn't reading yet.)

Ok - so this would be for 4 months from now. Currently, she is in ps kgarten, and only "reads" a few words. However, she LOVES the idea of learning to read..........she's also working well on her letters, I think. There are only a few that trip her up....