Menu

Sonlight Alt7 questions

anewday

I'm looking a few years ahead for history options for my oldest dd. Sonlight has peaked my interest, but we're far from making any type of decision yet. I'm just enjoying the process! :)

When we start the next round of history, my dd will be in either grade 8 or 9, depending on when I decide to start. I'm curious about SL Alt7 because I really like the books and if we can do history in a year or two, she can also do 300, 400 and possibly 530 which all look great IMO.

1) Is it too light being that it covers history from creation to present time in only a year? Can it be spread out over 2 years? If so, are there things I'd want to add to it?

2) Can she do this WITHOUT the read alouds? I'm thinking of having her mostly independent but with my oversight of course, as well as have built in discussion/review together so I know she's progressing and learning. My second dd is 3 grades lower and then there's my little guy whos 4 years younger than her. Trying to figure out a "all in one" history rotation is too much for my brain. I'm almost certain TOG is not an option for us, so no need to suggest it! hehe Also, Core 6 and 7 aren't options because I don't want to use SOTW for the upper grades (plus we're using it now) and many of the scheduled books in Core 6 she's already read.

4) If you've done Alt7, what are your thoughts about it, good and bad?

Thanks!! :)

You can NOT do SL without the read alouds but what you can do is use the library to find most of them on audio!!!

I havent done Alt7, but am planning on doing 6 next year.

Sonlight is never light for the elementary age student, but Im not sure about doing alt 7 as part of highschool. I woyuldn't do it for 9th grade I do not think.

The reason I don't want to do read alouds is that I'm thinking of having my daughters studying different time periods. We are a read aloud family, so I'll be reading from books, just not those. :)

So, is it feasible to have her read them to herself and possibly even spread out the year to two that way?

Sort of "OT", since I am not familiar with the "Alt. 7". You mention Core 300, however, as a future possibility. Before purchasing that one, look carefully at the books included and talk with other people who have used it. We did part of it, but stopped. We understood the "philosophy" of exposing young people to the seedier, more sinful aspects of life. The books assigned, however, would have had our son "rolling around in the muck" far more than is needed to teach "the principles." Core 300 was one of the most spectacular wastes of money we have made. But talk with other people; I'm just one strong opinion.

Sort of "OT", since I am not familiar with the "Alt. 7". You mention Core 300, however, as a future possibility. Before purchasing that one, look carefully at the books included and talk with other people who have used it. We did part of it, but stopped. We understood the "philosophy" of exposing young people to the seedier, more sinful aspects of life. The books assigned, however, would have had our son "rolling around in the muck" far more than is needed to teach "the principles." Core 300 was one of the most spectacular wastes of money we have made. But talk with other people; I'm just one strong opinion.

Wow - very good to know, thank you!

Hi Dawn,

We used Alt. 7 last year for my ds (13). He loved it. However, he was coming from ps and had never had world history. At first, we added in the Story of the World series which is used in the regular Core 6 and 7. Then we added in nearly every book in Cores 6 and 7 that wasn't included in Alt. 7. Usually we do read-alouds but my son was so into the reading he did it on his own. I don't know if this helps, but we were quite happy with it. I will be starting it with my 11 year-old ds this fall, even though it will be a bit of a stretch. I hope this helps.

Lisa

Hi Dawn,

We used Alt. 7 last year for my ds (13). He loved it. However, he was coming from ps and had never had world history. At first, we added in the Story of the World series which is used in the regular Core 6 and 7. Then we added in nearly every book in Cores 6 and 7 that wasn't included in Alt. 7. Usually we do read-alouds but my son was so into the reading he did it on his own. I don't know if this helps, but we were quite happy with it. I will be starting it with my 11 year-old ds this fall, even though it will be a bit of a stretch. I hope this helps.

Lisa

Thanks, Lisa! Glad to hear your son enjoyed it so much! :) Did you read aloud to him or assign him the reading on his own?

My son did the Alt 7 World History last year (his 8th grade) and absolutely loved it! He would not let me resell any of the reading books and has reread most of them this year. We have been doing history in a chronological approach so he already had exposure to each time period in depth. What he really liked was covering all of history in one year. For him, it really helped him to see the flow better, speeded up a bit, if you know what I mean. :)

As for the readalouds, my son read them all on his own and then I would have him orally give me the overview of the story. I don't know if I would recommend doing it over two years because it certainly wasn't overwhelming.