Menu

My daughter needs a bathing suit. She is extremely conservative. She also is trying not to show off a very shapely body.

My mom told us to pick something, maybe of LandsEnd.com My daughter is looking at some of the shorts and tops that reach a little higher. She'd like a bit more modest.

I told my daughter that I'd ask here if anyone had any other suggestions as some of y'all tend to believe in modesty.

TIA!

Not a coordinated suit, but would boys jammers and a rash guard top work. What size is your dd? If she could look through larger boy sizes she's likely to find a rashguard coordinated to match. If not she could pick the jammers out and then find a rashguard in a solid color.

Looks like you can coordinate the men's jammers and rash guards at Lands end. Not a lot of color choice though.

An alternative to the rashguard is a technical running shirt--a Muslim woman wore a long sleeve black running shirt this morning to my class. I don't know how well it will hold up in the water over time. I'm going to see what it looks like 8 weeks from now when I hope this lady knows how to swim.

Edited by betty

We found skirtinis (Tankini top, bottom with an attached skirt) at both Target and Sears this year. Some of them were more modest than others but we found one for each girl that she liked *and* my husband felt comfortable with.

Lands End is great for that sort of thing. We went to the Sears where my mom lives and they had a whole Lands End shop in it. Sadly, my Sears does not. Check yours and see if they do. It can save a lot of time and aggrevation over ordering online.

Hey - if your daughter is a size 4 and not too busty I have a nice one from LL Bean that you can have! My 15yo, um, outgrew the top! It is cut like this one but with a teal/white design and plain teal bottom with no sash - http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=58634&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=503319&feat=503319-tn&cat4=503315

This year's suit shoping was more difficult than previous years have been. Many of the girls' suits had giant holes in the back. For us, that was both a modesty issue, and a sunburn issue. (sunscreen is not infallible, unfortunately !)

On Saturday, I finally located a "can live with" one-piece suit at Target. Nothing at Lands' End website "jumped out" at us this year.

Maybe I didn't understand your post. But I thought your dd thought the LE shorts were too short. That's I suggested looking at the shorts and rash guards in the mens section. There are shorts in rash guards in the ladies' as well.

Maybe I didn't understand it?

Are you looking for something like this? http://www.swimmodest.com/ or even more covering like this? http://www.wholesomewear.com/page-4.html

I'm gonna look at all y'all's suggestions.

THe modesty issue is more with the top, I think. Shorts or skirts are fine. I think she "gets" that bathing suits aren't Sunday wear....

I have never heard of "rash guards" so I have some learning to do.

Size is part of the problem. She gained a LOT of weight on medication (but we'll take remission over skinny!) so that is a new issue to contend with. I think she'll be a 14...maybe a 12 if they run big like many name brands do.

Okay, I'm working (phones are slow) and researching. THANKS!

In the past, I wore a sweatheart neckline suit and just hand sewed a tank top front on it to give a little more coverage. With the right colors, etc., it works. I have triple D while I am nursing, so it is really hard to find one that covers, and it is hard to know if *any* cleavage is acceptable, KWIM?

In the past I have had a hard time finding a modest suit for my 6 year old! By the time I buy one b/c she outgrew the one from the year before all that is left is two piece styles, so I ordered them used online. I already got one for her this year. Hopefully she will continue to fit in it throughout the summer. It is Spongebob. :)

I bought a skirtini at LE last year. The skirt was made of comfortable swim suit material and was a decent length. the top went down to the beginning of the hips. It did have a modest V-neck and criss-cross straps, but I felt confident and comfortable in the pool for the first time in years.

Maybe a skirtini bottom and one of the short or long sleeve swim shirts LE sells would work? It's nice that they offer a lot of separates to build your own suit.

I do think the shorts are shorter than I would feel comfortable wearing.

Good luck!

So the ones she's going to tell Gma about:

the swimmodest.com ones and

017A8401000?hei=180&wid=180&op_sharpen=1&qlt=75

and 017A8597000-1?hei=180&wid=180&op_sharpen=1&qlt=75

I think Gma is more likely to go for one of the latter two. I think she'll think the first one is TOO much. SHe's conservative, but I'm much more so...and Kimberly is another head and shoulders more so than I am.

Hey - if your daughter is a size 4 and not too busty I have a nice one from LL Bean that you can have! My 15yo, um, outgrew the top! It is cut like this one but with a teal/white design and plain teal bottom with no sash - http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=58634&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=503319&feat=503319-tn&cat4=503315

Two years ago (or around there), lovetolearn.net offered modest bathing suits.

I just saw the pics in their homeschool catalog and they covered quite a bit more than the usual assortment of suits. I don't have daughters so I cannot tell you much else, other than going to their website and taking a look or call them for a catalog.

http://www.lovetolearn.net

Grandma wrote this morning. She got some great discount coupons in the mail yesterday for JCP. Their selection seems similar so we'll just go that route. Thankfully, they have tops that come up so there is no cleavage shown and the little shorts/skirts to cover there also.

Glad that it is working out for you!

We have had the same issues and we're going to Florida in a couple of weeks to spend some time with the grandparents who think we're over-the-top religious freaks. Sigh.

Oops, sorry. Anyway, I ordered the patterns from this site: http://www.modestswimwearsolutions.com/ to make our girls (and my) swimwear. My son has his knee-length swimsuit from last year and my husband will probably wear his scrubs.

Another nice site I saw was aquamodesta.net as well as some of the aforementioned sites such as wholesomewear.com.

Any of these will make suits for you, most to your specifications (longer sleeves, skirts, etc.) but I wanted to get patterns so I can make my own as my girls grow up and out of their suits (or wear them out).

HTH,

Lori

If anyone has any more links to this sort of swimwear, will you add them? I saw a suit that was tank top, but hish, with a dress sort of over the wetsuit-suit. Sort of like the wholesomewear suits, but much, much cuter.

I used to wear a bikini, and I'm not particularly modest, but I HATE swimsuits! I am super tired of worrying that something will pop out, or needs trimmed, or feeling self concious. The loose dress over the top looks lovely.And they were custom made- the LE suits would be great if they made my size, but they don't.

If anyone knows what suit I saw (LOL!) let me know! I want it!

Lands End is great for that sort of thing. We went to the Sears where my mom lives and they had a whole Lands End shop in it. Sadly, my Sears does not. Check yours and see if they do. It can save a lot of time and aggrevation over ordering online.

I'm so frustrated with LE (and other stores) because apparently when you're my size then of course one only wants to wear a 2 piece suit. :glare: Irritating is not a strong enough word....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ladies,

I can't find the exact thread I was looking for but wanted you to know that I got a catalog from Lands' End today, and some of their girls swimsuits are on sale. There was also a free shipping insert. I don't plan to use mine so here goes for whoever wants to try it. My girls got swimskirts and rash guard shirts there earlier this year on sale. They're actually reasonable on sale, especially with the free shipping.

The code is: Promo code: LAUGH and PIN 4631 The free shipping expires 5/21/09.