Menu

Do I need OPGTR

Hi,

I have Alphaphonics , 100 easy lessons (which we don't like), The reading lesson (I'm worried it would encourage him to guess words ), The first reader by Phyllis Schlafly and the Noah Webster reading handbook.

I have a ds who reads cvc words easily but nothing beyond that yet. I was going to use alphaphonics as I already have that but read mixed reviews on this board. I want something complete but easy to use.

I already have adventures in phonics book A which I'll use as a workbook when he is ready to write.

We use the dry erase board and magnetic letters alot and read lots of books.

We have bob books and similar readers, progressive phonics books etc.

I have been reading the new edition of the well trained mind. I feel overwhelmed by the resources I have and don't know where to start.

I am wondering if OPGTR would do a better job than the above.

Any ideas would be helpful thanks.

I'm not too familiar with the other sources you've listed, but I have been using OPGTR. OPGTR is good b/c it will go beyond just K or 1st grade phonics. It really works on mastery so you can take it at your dc own pace. I've looked at 100 easy lessons before and really they are similar, but I found that OPGTR was a lot easier for me to teach. The difficult part is that my ds is a perfectionist (middle child too go figure), he struggled quite a bit with this program for a while, but it is easier for him now. I think having no pictures was difficult for him as he is more of a visual learner. Is there someone you know who can let you preview their copy before you buy another phonics program? also, I waited to start this with my ds until age 6 (we just skipped the first 26 lessons or so b/c he already knew the basic letter sounds which I used Leaps Letter Factory for. lol)

Thanks for your response. I wish I could preview it too. I really want to use only one program and not have to do another at a later date. My DS is younger but we have used leap frog dvds and magnets etc so he knows three letter words. He is picking up early phonics rules as I tell him, e.g. e at the end makes the vowel say its name, /ch/ and /sh/ etc. but I'll like some hand holding myself to be sure we cover all we need to.

I would recommend it to systematically introduce rules. You can just skip the lessons he doesn't need. My 7 year old just finished the book, (started when she was 4) but she started reading within a month of starting the book. She reads on about a 4th grade level, but we kept doing the book periodically so she would understand the rules for words she already knew how to read.

I'm embarrassed to say I have and/or used all that you listed. I didn't care for 100 Easy lessons. It seemed as though we got half way through and my kids had troubles finishing it. I never gave Alphaphonics a fair try although it looks very simplistic, almost too simplistic that I think that's why I avoided using it. I started this year with The First Reader with my K twins. They did great up to half way and then they couldn't keep up with the complexity of the sentences. It was becoming too difficult for them too quickly. So, we dropped that and picked up The Reading Lesson starting with lesson 6(out of 20). Even though I have some issues with the program, like them not using capital letters the 1st 1/2 of the program, this is working the best for them. The sentences are more simplistic and at their level. Their fluency has increased very nicely. Out of all I have used, I like The Reading Lesson best for teaching reading, however this is not a complete phonics program it's purpose is to teach a young child to read without any of the "rules". After my kids are done this summer, I plan on using All About Spelling to teach them proper phonics.

If you're looking for a complete phonics program, I would highly consider OPTGR or Phonics Pathways. If I was not going to use AAS in 1st grade as teaching phonics/spelling, I probably would be using OPTGR. It looks like it would take about 2 years to complete.

Ann

I bought the OPGTR and then returned it--it looked dull and boring. I then tried Phonics Pathways and several other "fun" homespun options with Bob Books and other readers. In desperation, I re-ordered OPGTR and just gave it a try. And it works.

It is very thorough and systematic, and lessons are short. (Generally--occasionally I have broken lessons in half) The only problem we have encountered is that my ds is easily overwhelmed by the amount of print on the page--it is all print with no pictures or colors. The print is larger where the child is supposed to read and smaller for the notes to parents. Ds would get intimidated by the appearance of so much to read and panic. Following an excellent tip from another board member here, I began writing his parts on a whiteboard for him to read, and presto-change-o he's off and reading. Reading time used to be a huge whining battle (and you should have heard him as well;):D) But now we sail along pretty well most of the time, and I really feel like he is getting a solid phonics base.

OPGTR is a solid, basic, down-and-dirty, no cutesy stuff program and it works.

I used OPGTR for a while and found it to be very thorough. As someone already mentioned, I wrote the words out on a white board because looking at the book overwhelmed dd. The only reason we stopped was because I wanted to streamline. We are also using All About Spelling, which can be used as both a spelling and phonics program. If we ever get stuck I'll pull out OPGTR again.

I can't say enough good things about OPG. It is the one curriculum that didn't make my oldest son cry when he was trying to learn to read. He ended every (short, well-planned) lesson feeling clever. He finished the book and has not looked back. He just read The Wind in the Willows and the Hobbit this year along with many, many others.