Menu

Our Mother Tongue

I'm not going to be much help, because I haven't used this book, but I have looked at it. It is a grammar guidebook. It teaches diagramming and has plenty of lessons for students to get a thorough understanding of English grammr. Here is a link where you can see the inside of the book: http://www.amazon.com/Our-Mother-Tongue-Introductory-English/dp/1591280117#

I'm not sure if you're familiar with Classical Conversations, but they also recommend this book with their Essentials of the English Language course. I plan to use Our Mother Tongue in our Classical Conversations program next year with my 4th grader. I know several parents who use this book and have been highly successful in helping their child to develop a firm understanding of basic grammar and diagramming. The book seems easy to use and I like that the lessons can be broken into short sessions with students.

Maybe others will comment. Hope this helps!

Thanks Angela. I am kind of familiar with CC. I'm concerned that it might not be as advanced enough if you're using it for 4th grade. Unfortunately, the samples are only of the beginning of the book, and it does look simple there, but I don't know how advanced the book gets. Maybe someone will have a copy at NCHE I can look at.

Kristen the CC essentials program that uses this book actually does an overview of ALL parts of speech, diagramming etc. so the course is not necessarily just for 4th grade. It is pretty intense. I think the ages they use this with is up to 6th grade, but it is a good foundation for older kids to have as well.

No, I have not used it, but I fell in love with it. I am not using it yet because I had been researching it this past semester and fell head over heal in love. I like the fact that it teaches you the history of English in the sidebars. It almost seems as if you can see the Latin background a lot clearer with this program. I don't know if I'm making any sense. I just see it with this grammar lessons. It just seems like a rich grammar program. Some people say that you should wait until the child is older. It is discussed a lot on the high school board. I would do it with a younger child, but I would highly recommend to go very slowly. The terminology is advanced. It is a beautiful grammar program.

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Thanks, I also really liked all the extra information in the side bars. The son that I'm thinking about using it with will be in 6th grade, but he is working a grade level ahead in English. (will complete R&S 6). He is ready for a change and is tired of doing so much of the same thing over and over again every year.

We used this program with my fifth grader and spread it out over a year and a half. The last few chapters are more advanced grammar concepts so we put those aside for later. If I had to do over, I would actually begin this program at 7th grade and continue on with it through 8th. It fits very nicely with the Charlotte Mason concept in that the lessons can be broken down into smaller portions. And I agree with the others in that this program is rich in English language history, so you get more than just grammar.