Menu

do the sciences need to be done in order?

It is not necessary to do the sciences in a particular order, but it is necessary to have the math pre-reqs in place. So, for biology you don't need to be concerned. But for Chemistry they need to have Al I solid under their belts. For Physics they usually need to have at least AL II going on concurrently or preferably have already had Al II. The trig in most high school physics texts is just basic triangle trig, so you really don't need to have a trig course first.

HTH

It is not necessary to do the sciences in a particular order, but it is necessary to have the math pre-reqs in place. So, for biology you don't need to be concerned. But for Chemistry they need to have Al I solid under their belts. For Physics they usually need to have at least AL II going on concurrently or preferably have already had Al II. The trig in most high school physics texts is just basic triangle trig, so you really don't need to have a trig course first.

:iagree:

Also, physical science contains an intro to chemistry and an intro to physics, so there would be no point in taking it after chemistry.

Mandy

There is the Physics First movement which proposes a Conceptual Physics class requiring minimal algebra first, followed by chemistry then biology, then a more heavy duty physics. The idea here is that modern biology has become dependent on so much chemistry that it might be wise to see that course first. Conceptual Physics can lay some of the ground work for chemistry but also give students a good conceptual understanding of physical processes in general.

A couple of comments: many parents are shocked and amazed by the content of biology which has evolved considerably from our high school days. Secondly, if your student studies algebra in middle school, which many students do, he will have the math for chemistry under his belt in 10th grade. So doing chemistry in 10th is not unusual.

An alternative science class to consider for high school is Environmental. Since I think you are in NC, your Soil and Water Conservation District sponsors Envirothon teams, an excellent extra curricular activity which expands upon many of the ideas in an Environmental Science course. (The five topics students study in NC for Envirothon are Soils, Aquatics, Wildlife, Forestry and Current Environmental Issues.)

Best,

Jane

HTH

:iagree: Hello everyone. I am new here and this is the first one I am posting. Chemistry and Physics may require your mathematical understanding as a tool.

Could a freshman do chemistry?

My "freshman" is just finishing up chemistry which he ended up doing because he had so much biology before (partly Genevan requirements) and I wanted some different books around...and partly because his dad (PhD chemist) just retired last September...Since he hadn't found another job yet, it seemed like a good time to call him into service....

Talking to ds, he says that there is balancing of equations - like you get in Alg I and conversions from "moles" for example...

Now my dh did not take him as far along as I had hoped (ds plans to study on his own this summer and take the SAT II Chem test in the fall), so maybe there is more to it than I know...

You might be able to get some kind of online or DVD course that could teach him all those things you've forgotten...

Best,

Joan

My "freshman" is just finishing up chemistry which he ended up doing

Now my dh did not take him as far along as I had hoped (ds plans to study on his own this summer and take the SAT II Chem test in the fall), so maybe there is more to it than I know...

Hi Joan,

Does SAT II cover same amount of Chemistry content as AP? How much in Chemistry your ds will be doing his own during the summer for SAT II ?

Does SAT II cover same amount of Chemistry content as AP? How much in Chemistry your ds will be doing his own during the summer for SAT II ?

Let's see, I haven't looked at the AP Chem book but when I asked a friend the same question she said the AP had more info because it is supposed to be college level material whereas SAT II is just high school level...

Ds took one of the practice SATII tests a couple of days ago and found lacks in nucleonics, lab materials (some unfamiliar pieces and terms), chemical bonding, descriptive chem and some other areas which I'll have to track down after I run (which I meant to do 15 minutes ago, but you know how it is :)), he had part of the material down but not enough...then I'll pm you.

Are you wondering what one can self-teach?

Best,

Joan

Right, I am wondering if my ds can self-teach 2nd part of Chemistry. Someone has helped him with 1st half of Chemistry. Thanks

This is a very tricky question because there are so many variables....I would hate to have you consign your son to a particular path because of what I say or don't say as I don't know you or your son at all...is he motivated, hard-working, science-minded (enjoy science and have lots of background that enables him to easily grasp new concepts?), know when to ask questions, etc, etc...do you have other contacts who could help him?

I can really only give more information about my own...he and his dad did finish the book they were working through...but the book (of probably 5 books I'd found for them) that was chosen (by I'm not sure which one really) didn't really sufficiently cover all the concepts expected for the SAT...so ds will go back through the SAT study guide, using another book as a supplement, and read up on the missing parts...plus we'll look at more online labs with more complicated experiments than we were able to do here. Ds is very self-motivated and ours is a science-oriented family...So he's really just filling in the gaps so to speak...

It seems like the 2nd half of a chemistry course would be harder than the first half....hopefully someone else here can say more (because my dh is not into the hive...).

Best,

joan

...he and his dad did finish the book they were working through...but the book (of probably 5 books I'd found for them) that was chosen (by I'm not sure which one really) didn't really sufficiently cover all the concepts expected for the SAT...so ds will go back through the SAT study guide, using another book as a supplement, and read up on the missing parts...plus we'll look at more online labs with more complicated experiments than we were able to do here. Ds is very self-motivated and ours is a science-oriented family...So he's really just filling in the gaps so to speak...

I see......did finish......filling the gaps. It's not my ds' case. Thanks anyway.

This is a very tricky question because there are so many variables.... as I don't know you or your son at all...is he motivated, hard-working, science-minded, know when to ask questions, etc, etc... It seems like the 2nd half of a chemistry course would be harder than the first half....

9th grader, taking AP Calculus this Wednesday.

usually it seems to be physical/earth science, then biology, then chemistry. Could a freshman do chemistry?

(I am trying to figure out what classes my dds can do together for high school.)

My son is doing chemistry and physics this year as a freshman. Then he will take AP chemistry, then AP physics, he also wants AP geology, and astronomy.

He doesn't want to take biology. But I think it is because he is more interested in genetics, molecular biology, etc. But he needs general biology first so he says he will "tolerate" biology dual credit at college over a summer session (probably next summer).

Anita

My son is doing chemistry and physics this year as a freshman. Then he will take AP chemistry, then AP physics, he also wants AP geology, and astronomy.

He doesn't want to take biology. But I think it is because he is more interested in genetics, molecular biology, etc. But he needs general biology first so he says he will "tolerate" biology dual credit at college over a summer session (probably next summer).

Anita

There are no AP Geology nor AP Astronomy in science. Anyway, Chemistry /Physics B / Physics C do need math at some degree. As soon as you have proper math under your belt, you may tackle these science courses anytime.

9th grader, taking AP Calculus this Wednesday.

He must like to study then...did he self-teach the Calculus? Did he like the first half of chemistry? Do you or your husband like chemistry enough to be able to help him? Can you do labs with him?

Anita

Have your son take a look at a Campbell biology text. He may be pleasantly surprised to see that much of a modern biology course focuses on molecular bio and genetics.

Jane

He must like to study then...did he self-teach the Calculus? Did he like the first half of chemistry? Do you or your husband like chemistry enough to be able to help him? Can you do labs with him?

He was college bound at age 11, and he then was allowed to take math in college. He was in public school until last year where kids are allowed to excel in math only. He has not been exposed in science until someone offered college chemistry 101 this semester due to his math background. That someone is asking him to audit chemistry 102 when he teaches in spring 2010. So my ds can just wait for that. I thought your ds was self studying some, that's why I was curious. But I know now your ds is just trying to fill the gaps. That's not our case.

Have your son take a look at a Campbell biology text. He may be pleasantly surprised to see that much of a modern biology course focuses on molecular bio and genetics.

Jane

Thank you for the tip!! I will have him look at it.

Anita

There are no AP Geology nor AP Astronomy in science. Anyway, Chemistry /Physics B / Physics C do need math at some degree. As soon as you have proper math under your belt, you may tackle these science courses anytime.

Oops.. I thought there was. Maybe I am thinking of the CLEP exams too. I keep mixing AP and CLEP up-LOL.

He is in algebra 1 now. He will take algebra 2 then geometry next year. Figure he can do chemistry and conceptual physics so that should Be in his math level for now. I hope.

Anita