Menu

Mom's Night Out ideas for a homeschool group...

What I would enjoy is a trip to the library or bookstore without kids in tow! :) A bookstore with a coffeeshop would be great.

Other ideas: going out to dinner, once my MOPS group went to a movie theater that served dinner (that was fun), going to one of those pottery places where you paint your own plate or bowl, getting together at someone's house to play games.

What I would enjoy is a trip to the library or bookstore without kids in tow! :) A bookstore with a coffeeshop would be great.

Oh my gosh! A monthly excuse to buy a new book just for me! I can hear my explanation to my partner, now: "I can't very well be the only woman there not buying a book. We're going to be discussing our picks over coffee! And it's horrible to browse and bend books in a store and then not even buy one!"

That was more or less how I talked him into sacrificing one work night a month to our support group's out-til-11 coffee hs-mama dates. That is all we do -- meet at artsy coffeehouse and chat.

We go to dinner at various inexpensive restaurants for most of our Mom's Night Out dates. We've also had a movie-n-popcorn night at a member's home. Next month we're touring our brand new (beautiful, beautiful, beautiful) Central Library. We like to be together...I think we could have tacos at T-Bell and everyone would be happy just to get out of the house.

You know, I would just be happy if we met at a Starbucks for coffee and dessert. Just something low key and low energy. My group usually has a potluck dinner at someone else's house or a ladies' tea, but you always have to bring something. First of all, I'm not one of those people who makes cute little "things" to share. Second, I usually have no idea how many are coming, so I don't know how much of the "thing" to make. Finally, after schooling all or all week, I really don't want to have to make something extra on top of the meal that I will leave my family. The argument against going out somewhere is the cost, but really after I buy the extra stuff to make the "thing" and spend the time preparing the "thing", I really don't see that I'm saving all that money when I can get a regular coffee and a cookie at Starbucks for about $5 or I can splurge for a flavored drink and skip the cookie. The best thing about going out in my book is that there's no clean up involved.

I'm stepping down off of my soapbox now...

Our group meets once a month at a coffee shop and just talks! No kids, no husbands, coffee, pure bliss. :) Honestly, this works great b/c we can all visit, it is a come and go thing, so it's no problem if you are late, etc. It also is very low cost, even free if you don't want coffee!

Here is what we did so far:

Millers Pad store came to us to open a bookstore (mobile) and talk to us about art. We shopped early and then listened to the wife of owner. Learned alot.

Ate at Applebees and fellowshiped there in the evening.

Ate at Panera's for Breakfast and fellowshiped there one Saturday morning.

One year we just met at mom's homes and talked about things. Sometimes we have a topic but it was ok to deviate from it.

We did the painting pottery thing one time.

Holly