Menu

SOTW vs American History

I'm planning for my soon to be 3rd grader and 6th grader to start SOTW middle Ages. This will be my 6th graders 1st year homeschooled. I was good to go w/the SOTW and build our IEW and reading off of it and then I started thinking about American History. How do you work in AH when using SOTW? Do you use just SOTW for the year? I was wondering if anyone has done 3 quarters SOTW and 1 quarter American History? I think it is equally important to learn the American along w/the world history. Ahhh! Just when I think I have it!

The way MFW does it is to have more than one spine going at the same time -- SOTW for the world history & other materials for the US history. I'm sure it would take some time to coordinate them, because history just has to be grouped in some fashion or you'd have to cover every single part of the world on every single day in history. I'm sure glad someone else has done that for me.

using SOTW 3.

I enriched our studies with a lot of books from the library, additional map work, stories about the presidents, and field trips.

I spent more than a week on several of the chapters that were about American history, and less time on other chapters.

We have six chapters remaining for this year - 3 of them are about American history. I don't plan to do a lot of additional reading for the other three chapters in order to focus on the themes I think are most relevant for my dc right now.

I plan on incorporating a little more Am hist thru SOTW 3. We will add in reading from the Sonlight 3 list, and just take it a bit slow. In your situation, I would guess your dc has probably had a lot of Am Hist in ps, but probably very little Middle Ages World History. If you start in the middle ages, it makes the next era much more understandable. You could finish SOTW 3 and 4 before high school--and then start over with Ancients on a hi sch level. Remember, now is prime time for your child (logic stage) to make connections. You are going for exposure with the other one.