Menu

Getting Started With Latin

momtolgd

I think the basic information would work, but I wouldn't plan on using it 'as is' with young children. It is very, very bare bones - - here's a new word, here's a new grammar rule, here are ten sentences to practice on.

If you are willing to do some adapting and adding in, the information is presented in a very clear way. But it's a bit stark on its own!

I thought it looked stark too, but it did get good reviews from Drew Campbell of LCC and it is supposed to cover what LC 1 and 2 cover, roughly. I think having small chunks may prove to be refreshing. I have heard it is a good bridge into Henle or other higher level texts.

I'm about halfway through the book for my own education. The 4th grader might be able to do it orally, but I think it would be overwhelming for the 2nd grader. It only introduces one word at a time, but it is really necessary to go over all the 10-sentence exercises for retention. My 3rd grader does well at memorizing Latin vocabulary, but translating short sentences orally in Minimus can be difficult. The Getting Started with Latin exercises require you to pay close attention to what form a noun is in (singular or plural, nominative or accusative), so it can be tricky, even for me!

I don't think it covers the same material as both LC I and II. According to this WTM review (http://www.welltrainedmind.com/J01Latina.html), LC I covers 1st and 2nd verb conjugations and 1st and 2nd noun declensions. LC II covers 3rd and 4th conjugations and 3rd - 5th declensions. I checked the book, and Getting Started with Latin only covers the 1st and 2nd verb conjugations and 1st and 2nd noun declensions.

I'm using it with a 4th grader. It takes very little time each day, but the translating is fun. I had Latin in high school and when I considered programs that did tons of chants and memorization with little translating I was turned off (for my *own* sake). We are both enjoying GSWL. He often asks to do it first when we start school each day.

Thank you for the replies.

I'm beginning to wonder if we should do 2 different latin programs next year? I think I may make a seperate post asking about opinions on that.

My two, also 2 years apart, started off in Latin together at a younger age. It's helpful for memorizing vocab and worked pretty well the first couple of years, but we ran into difficulties this year.

oldest dd was 5th grade, youngest 3rd, and the differences in ability really became apparent. dd1 hit logic stage running, and there was really no way for them to 'meet in the middle.' so, while they have used the same program (Latina Christiana II), they really have not used it 'together' this year.

If you're okay with the younger mostly picking up vocab for now, you could probably eke out at least a year in the same program, especially if he's easy going. My youngest is NOT easy going, lol, and it drove her nuts to see big sis doing the work so quickly and easily while she struggle (even though she did quite well, all she could see was the disparity in ability).

We are going to separate programs next year, although I am going to continue to do recitations and such together.