Menu

Anyone Willing To Share Pictures of Their "School Room"

:lol::lol::lol: We would have to tidy up to take photos! I am in the middle of Spring Cleaning myself and you know how it always gets worse before it gets better? We school in the living room and dining room....an L shaped area....and we live hard in this space! Our living room is ringed in bookcases, wall-mounted shelves, a painted dresser that holds art supplies and teacher's keys, the computer desk, fireplace hearth(more books and a sewing machine), seating arrangements, and a large picture window. We gave up on school desks and the dc study at the dining table and couch. The keyboard resides in dd's bedroom and woodworking class is held in the garage and driveway...weather permitting.

I'll share! In the picture with the one bookshelf, we now have another bookshelf to the right of the stairs. Plus one in the garage... Not to mention the ones in our respective rooms for pleasure reading :blushing: Oh! And the maps are in the living room.

(I hope I don't kill this thread)

post-1226-13535082876776_thumb.jpg

post-1226-13535082877062_thumb.jpg

post-1226-13535082876776_thumb.jpg

post-1226-13535082877062_thumb.jpg

Am I the only one who is looking at these pictures, desperately trying to read the titles on all of the books on the bookshelves?

I mean, really, how pathetically nosy am I??? :rolleyes:

Cat

PS. Love the photos -- keep 'em coming!!!

Am I the only one who is looking at these pictures, desperately trying to read the titles on all of the books on the bookshelves?

Cat

No, you're not the only one! I love to look at other people's bookshelves. Is that so wrong? :tongue_smilie:

Okay Melanie and Rebecca I was going to post mine until I saw yours then I decided no way. :001_smile: We do school in my bedroom so I have an 11 ft shelf way up high on the wall and that is where we keep the books and supplies we are currently using. And one 6' long table. Otherwise my other books are kept in another room. I have done school in my room for some time now. As I get several older children they seem to be on such auto pilot that I haven't been able to contain the little ones as well. The older ones are usually cooking, watching a show, wrestling, etc and so I can't school little kids so I hang out in my room.:)

I love your homeschool room. When can my children start?:D

Sure. :)

ds5's area (and view as you walk in)

IMG_7157_1.jpg

Middle of the room. ds9 uses the big table. This room also serves as my office/computer room.

IMG_7172_1.jpg

Opposite side with my closet and bookshelf and ds9's map/timeline area.

IMG_7212_1.jpg

Cat

Funny story-

I had a social event this past week at an Admiral's home. I walk into this lovely room with a beautiful spread of food and beverages and many acquaintances. I go to set my purse down on a chair and I just could not help myself from glancing through the books on their shelves. I found a book on military history that I knew my dh would love so I got my planner and started to write down the title. Next thing I know, I've been at this event for 10 minutes or so without saying a word to anyone, and people are looking at me like I'm the biggest dork in the world.

:D

Jo

I love your homeschool room. When can my children start?:D

:lol: They can help me keep it clean! My kids apparently have NO IDEA what clean means.

I love my school room, but when I take pictures, the first think I think is "Ummmm....CLUTTER!" The rest of my house is so devoid of clutter that the school room often freaks me out a bit. :tongue_smilie:

Melanie...Your book shelf rocks! Color coded books. That is OCD heaven right there! LOL

Melanie...Your book shelf rocks! Color coded books. That is OCD heaven right there! LOL

Thanks! The OCD in me is blushing. :lol: We did that for the holidays. It doesn't look like that anymore - aesthetics must give way to efficiency when school is in session!

Thank you all for posting your pictures. I've been gone most of the day so I will not be able to really ooh and ahhhh until tomorrow after we get home from church. I also have some older pictures of our room from last year that I'll try to figure out how to post here.

I'll be back! :D Oh, and you can bet I'm one of many that'll be scoping the titles on the shelves...hehehe.

Yep! I also noticed that on Tree House Academy's computer screen is a picture of her schoolroom. So I'm looking at a picture of a schoolroom in a schoolroom.

Here's one of mine. Not a very good one as it's just one wall, but you get the idea. I have since added a bulletin board. We're not really using it lately though. We seem to be cozier in the living room but it's great for a little extra space and storage for our stuff.

332853423.jpg

Here's mine, it's been updated a little since these pics- bigger maps on the wall, I've taken down the messy homemade timeline, and there is better storage and organization of the closet, but I haven't taken pics.

The only books up there are on the raingutter shelves, where I keep our current school books. Our living room is lined with bookcases and each kid has a bookcase in their room also. No pics of those.

I just moved our schoolroom (from 3rd floor to 2nd), so this is actually kind of neat (as in, not its usual mess).

IMG_1876.JPG

IMG_1872.JPG

IMG_1873.JPG

IMG_1874.JPG

I have more bookcases scattered throughout the house. . .and school work isn't necessarily relegated to this room only.

And, can you tell me about the maps -- the way they are hanging? Are they on cabinet fronts or ...?

They are on the cabinet fronts. I was out of wall space and these are laminated maps so they can take a lot of handling. Each cabinet front is 15" so I cut a 15" piece out of the center and attached it (and the other two pieces which were slightly less than 15") with heavy duty packing tape all around the edges. I wrapped the edges slightly (The cabinet doors are slightly rounded.) so there's very little interruption where they were cut.

These are IKEA kitchen wall cabinets and the fronts pop off making this kind of thing pretty easy.

Wow! Everyone has such beautiful school rooms. I tried a while ago to post pictures of my schoolroom on an album, but couldn't get it to work. It's basically just two walls of floor-to-ceiling bookshelfs with books, toys, games, educational manipulatives, etc, a sofa under the picture window, a table in the middle of the room, a small plastic kid-sized picnic table against the last wall, and a computer desk in the corner.

I can't get over how beautiful some of your schoolrooms are. I need a decorator. :tongue_smilie:

Here's mine, it's been updated a little since these pics- bigger maps on the wall, I've taken down the messy homemade timeline, and there is better storage and organization of the closet, but I haven't taken pics.

The only books up there are on the raingutter shelves, where I keep our current school books. Our living room is lined with bookcases and each kid has a bookcase in their room also. No pics of those.

Wow! What an awesome room! I love seeing everyone's homeschool rooms - its inspiring.

Kelly

This is a completely candid shot. I did not clean first. Hence the mess.

This is where we do seatwork. The unschooler in me actively avoids designating any room for learning, or making any room look like a school. We have a world map and most of our books in the living room, and displays of natural objects and a classification chart in the music room. Pictured is our dining room and I keep most of the curricular supplies there.

picture.php?albumid=205&pictureid=1285

picture.php?albumid=205&pictureid=1286

picture.php?albumid=205&pictureid=1287

I keep telling myself I'm going to put nice purple velour slipcovers over those chairs (and put some extra padding on them too).

Edited by dragons in the flower bed

I love it! And those floors are beautiful!!

Sure. :)

ds5's area (and view as you walk in)

IMG_7157_1.jpg

Middle of the room. ds9 uses the big table. This room also serves as my office/computer room.

IMG_7172_1.jpg

Opposite side with my closet and bookshelf and ds9's map/timeline area.

IMG_7212_1.jpg

How do you put your pictures into the text of your doc? I don't have them on a website "http:\\" address. Is there any other way to do it?

I have them on my camera and on my computer. :tongue_smilie:

To put them in the text I believe you need a remote host like photobucket. From your computer I believe you can only attach them like I did below.

post-113-13535082877715_thumb.jpg

post-113-13535082877715_thumb.jpg

Yay! Color! You're making me want to repaint mine. This shade of orange is very close (if not the same) to my ds's room. I love color!

This is a completely candid shot. I did not clean first. Hence the mess.

This is where we do seatwork. The unschooler in me actively avoids designating any room for learning, or making any room look like a school. We have a world map and most of our books in the living room, and displays of natural objects and a classification chart in the music room. Pictured is our dining room and I keep most of the curricular supplies there.

I keep telling myself I'm going to put nice purple velour slipcovers over those chairs (and put some extra padding on them too).

Cool! Did you paint the floor? That's a really neat room. Is the rest of your house so.... uninhibited? I think I see a nice melon color through the doorway. :D

I love the pictures! But we don't have a designated place in our house.. we have bookcases in several rooms and then we work all over the house... could be any where.... our computer is in the upstairs hallway niche so everyone can see the computer when you walk by. But we do school on my bed, at the kitchen table, on the bedroom floor, on the living room floor, in the car.... in my son's room... just all over! lol! Rochelle

Cool! Did you paint the floor? That's a really neat room. Is the rest of your house so.... uninhibited? I think I see a nice melon color through the doorway. :D

Yep, we painted it after we had a guy (okay, my dad, but he's a professional) in to refinish it, and he said, "Um, I don't like giving you bad news, but, well, how would you feel about a painted floor?" I'm still not sure why it couldn't be refinished, but I trust my dad.

The rest of the house is also done in this style (which we call "hippie," but uninhibited is awesome), or will be done that way. We have a room with a tree painted across two walls, and you can see my kitchen peeking out there in it's red, pink and green watermelon/strawberry theme.

It's something I guess you see more in anarchist/poetry communities, where people often go buy whatever paint is clearanced and find creative ways to use them. I saw two houses done this way: one in an intentional community that had sprung up in a very poor neighborhood around a free school, where anarchists were buying up $1 houses from the city and getting artsy with them; and one on an organic farm and retreat center, where the folks had just bought whatever paint was on sale that week at all the paint stores in the region and figured out a way to make them all work together.

Beautiful classrooms, I just love them all. I homeschool in a tiny room next to my bedroom. It was once an office and once an exercise room. It gets more use being a classroom. I envy all the wall space you guys have. I have a room full of windows. Beautiful to look out, however hard to post maps and bookshelves. We love it anyways. Homeschooling is such a blessing. I would not have it any other way.:hurray:

Monica

We have a room with a tree painted across two walls, and you can see my kitchen peeking out there in it's red, pink and green watermelon/strawberry theme.

I have seen pictures of your tree, and I love it. I've wanted to paint a forest on my wall since I was a kid, but I've only just in the last couple of years convinced my straight laced (or is that square?) husband to accept bright colors - he isn't ready for murals just yet. Maybe I'll break him down by the time we're in our swingin' 60s. :D

I love attachedto4's orange school room - my daughter's bedroom is painted in a very similar color.

What gorgeous schoolrooms! :) We are in a rather small rented house for now (just moved from another state); I hope when we buy a house we'll have more room. Currently, we have a playroom/schoolroom/office. There are bookcases all over the house and a cupboard for all the craft supplies in a closet. My dd4 does have her own small desk where she practices her letters and writing. We also do a lot of projects and "school" at the kitchen table.

I am not that creative when it comes to decorating; I'll have to come back to this thread when I get to decorate my own schoolroom someday!

I'm going to attempt showing pics of ours.

The first one is the view from my desk, and the 2nd one is the view of my desk & book case.

We had a 3 car tandem garage, and we converted the tandem portion into our school room. It was adjacent to our family room, so we knocked out part of a wall to make a doorway and 2 steps down into the school room. We had 2 windows put in, and the heating connected through. It's just like part of the house now, and we probably spend more time in here than in any other room. It also serves as my office, the computer entertainment room, and a play room for the kids.

Edited by JenniferB

Dragons, I love, love, love that room!:001_wub::001_wub::001_wub:

Many years ago, before I knew that renting a house meant it wasn't really mine, I turned the living room into organic molecules and the bedroom into a giant cell. It was awesome. The landlord was very angry, and even more angry when he discovered I used oil-based paints:001_huh:

So jealous of your uninhibition...:D

Dragons, I love, love, love that room!:001_wub::001_wub::001_wub:

Many years ago, before I knew that renting a house meant it wasn't really mine, I turned the living room into organic molecules and the bedroom into a giant cell. It was awesome. The landlord was very angry, and even more angry when he discovered I used oil-based paints:001_huh:

So jealous of your uninhibition...:D

Do you have pictures? I'd love to see that! I need to repaint my eight-year-old's room, and the eight-year-old is all about molecules right now.