Menu

Has anyone used Live&Learn's lapbook for Apologia's General Science?

Mommy7

I'm hope you get other responses, but I thought I would maybe help a bit. We've never used the General Science but my daughter used Physcial Science last year and I'm planning on using the General Science with my son this year. My daughter really enjoys "hands-on" projects so the physical aspects of cutting and folding helped her with her retention. The time it takes really varies - there are booklets for On-Your-Own questions and vocabulary that my daughter did as she was going through the chapter. Then there were little booklets for each study guide question. So the majority of the time with the lapbook was spent at the end of each chapter.

For her it was well worth any extra time invested and I'm assuming that it will also help my 12 yo next year. Now, I have an older son who would have been driven crazy by the whole process! It really depends on personality.

I use them for my sons.

Currently, DS2 is doing them. And the ONLY reason he's doing them is because he can use them for the test. (He doesn't especially like doing them.) However, I needed to have him do something as he refuses to take notes, and as much as he refuses to admit it, he NEEDS to take notes to learn.

This accomplishes the note taking task, and he's willing to suffer through as he gets the benefit of using them for tests. (Although, he's discovering once he's written it down, he doesn't really need to use them. . . Go figure!)

My daughter used this product for General Science. It has really helped her in studying for the test. Basically it is a visual way of studying for the test. We began the book before finding the lapbook product and she wasn't doing as well. Now she does well on the tests and has a booklet of notes about the text in case she ever needs or wants to refer to it.

Yes, we use the LivenLearn Press product---but unfortunately, it has not been the magic bullet I thought it would be for ds to retain more from Apologia! :glare: At least the colorful graphics add more visual to the Apologia program---but ds can NOT stand all the cutting and pasting, so maybe his dislike for this process is hindering his rentention? For my kids, Apologia is SOO much black and white verbosity on so many pages---that nothing seems to help with renention short of quitting the program and switching to Abeka ;)

but ds can NOT stand all the cutting and pasting, so maybe his dislike for this process is hindering his rentention?

ah, yes. . .

I cut all the booklets out, he adds the info, and then I glue it on the pages. It's a happy medium.;)

I use them for my sons.

Currently, DS2 is doing them. And the ONLY reason he's doing them is because he can use them for the test. (He doesn't especially like doing them.) However, I needed to have him do something as he refuses to take notes, and as much as he refuses to admit it, he NEEDS to take notes to learn.

This accomplishes the note taking task, and he's willing to suffer through as he gets the benefit of using them for tests. (Although, he's discovering once he's written it down, he doesn't really need to use them. . . Go figure!)

I don't know if you are familiar with Charlotte Mason, but I have my son narrate every few paragraphs--yes, it is very time consuming, BUT he is remembering everything. We are taking about 3 weeks per module, but he can't cheat and skim when I have him do this. At least he can do the experiments without my help and clean up.:)

I loved the idea of the lapbooks, but I cringe at anything else I have to print out and make sure it has a "home" in our already crowded house.