Menu

MFW, Biblioplan?

I'm new to this board as a member, but have been reading (and learning lots from) all of you for several years. We use a mix of classical and CM materials, and for the past two years have enjoyed using Biblioplan with SOTW and lots of other great resources. I'm considering MFW's Explorers to 1850 for next year (I'll have a first grader, two second graders and a 6th grader) instead of the third Biblioplan guide, mostly because I love that art and music are scheduled in. The idea of a package is also appealing I must admit! However, the gal I spoke to at MFW thought it might be heavy for our two 3rd graders and suggested we start with ECC. My kids really want to continue with our history progression though and are excited to move forward - and our Biblioplan readings have been fairly meaty, so I thought they'd be ok with it. (The first grader will have his own work.)

I'd love to hear from anyone who's had experience with MFW - would this be a good curriculum to jump into? How does the multi age learning work in MFW?

Thanks so much;

Aimee

Edited by Evergreen Academy
incomplete

I'm not sure who you spoke to at MFW, but there is an "Adventures supplement" package that you get to use with younger children. If you try to use EX1850 as written (with everything), then yes, you're got a pretty heavy workload for 3rd grade and down. But that's why they have the supplement option available. Did you see that package? Those books are scheduled in the EX1850 manual at the top of the page following the main lesson plans, so it's all ready and laid out for you.

Go to this page and scroll down just a bit to see the box with the 2nd & 3rd grade supplement info in it:

http://www.mfwbooks.com/exploration.htm

I did see the supplement and she did say it would work for them - but felt kids should do ECC first to become familiar with geography, etc. I do feel we've done a lot of that through the years with our history and Hero Tales readings, perhaps not to that extent though. The supplement made me think this program would work well for our family though.

What is the workload like for older kids? We're used to Biblioplan's family read-aloud, history readings, and independent historical fiction/biography reading for the kids.

Thanks so much for your input!

Aimee

I did see the supplement and she did say it would work for them - but felt kids should do ECC first to become familiar with geography, etc.

Standard answer. Don't worry about it. ;)

I do feel we've done a lot of that through the years with our history and Hero Tales readings, perhaps not to that extent though. The supplement made me think this program would work well for our family though.

What is the workload like for older kids? We're used to Biblioplan's family read-aloud, history readings, and independent historical fiction/biography reading for the kids.

Thanks so much for your input!

Aimee

With respect to EX1850 in particular, the older student will do/participate in:

Family read-alouds from multiple genres, history readings, independent reading, extra books and videos from the back of the manual (as time and interest allow), notebooking, mapwork, timeline, patriotic music, memorizing the book of James, church history, hymn studies, memorizing states and capitals and learning a bit about each of them, and then there's an additional state study for 4-6 weeks at the end of the year along with research and writing. That's just History and Bible, then there's the science studies in plants and animals, along with concentrated time for nature walks and notebooking toward the end of the year.

Art and music go along with the historical timeline, as well, if you're doing those.

What do you have planned for your 6th grader's math and formal language arts?

Thanks for explaining how the program works. For LA and math: My 6th grader will be completing Saxon 7/6 and moving on from there, and he LOVES Intermediate Language Lessons and would like to complete the 6th grade portion of that. He's using Wordly Wise and enjoying it - not sure if we'll continue with that - and I'm considering Writing Strands as recommended by MFW though as a former journalist I can't say I've found it exciting when I've looked at it - though many people seem to like it.

The 3rd graders are using different math programs - one will continue with Horizons which suits him well, and the other will use MCP and Developmental Math, which is a better fit for him. They will continue with R&S English, which they really like, with a smattering of PLL, which I really like. :001_smile:

The little guy, I'm still considering what will be the best fit for him.

Blessings,

Aimee