Menu

What is a good substitution for Twice Freed in MFW RTR?

Mommy7

have you read the

"Golden Goblet" as it might be a good alternative for that time period. I have not read twice freed...but I know Golden goblet is just about an egyptian boy and it doesn't talk about God. Tirzah was a good book too....touches on the freeing of the Isrealites and thier journey.

have you read the

"Golden Goblet" as it might be a good alternative for that time period. I have not read twice freed...but I know Golden goblet is just about an egyptian boy and it doesn't talk about God. Tirzah was a good book too....touches on the freeing of the Isrealites and thier journey.

Those books are set in a time period prior to RTR. Twice Freed is specific to New Testament times during the life of the Apostle Paul. It's set in a biblical context and is scheduled along with a study of Acts in Bible. Even the other book I suggested, Fountain of Life, is *slightly* before Twice Freed (timewise)... but still in New Testament times.

Donna A., you seem so familiar with MFW. Do you think I will regret starting with RTR instead of doing ECC? I will definitely do ECC, but my 7th grader needs to finish her history cycle before high school.

So, I was thinking do RTR this year, followed by the two years of American, and then do ECC. I know that is backwards from what they recommend. The advantage to doing it this way is that I could then do all 5 together because the youngest two would be old enough to do it by then.

Do you think it would be better to do ECC THIS year? But, if we do that, my dd who will be in 7th grade would only get up to the reformation before hitting it all at a high school level. Also, my dh is thinking wait on the geography. I know I will do what he says about it, but I was wondering what you thought about waiting because you are familiar with MFW.

Thoughts? Thank you so much for all your responses today. Very helpful!

Edited by Mommy7

Here are a few books:

Mystery of the Roman Ransom: A mystery about 7 boys who solve strange crimes in ancient Rome. My dd loved this story.

Peril & Peace:Chronicles of the Ancient Church: Stories of Paul, Polycarp, Justin, Origen, Cyprian, Constantine, Athanasius, Ambrose, Augustine, John Chrysostom, Jerome, Patrick and Benedict. It's about the people from the early and ancient church and the roots of Christianity. We are reading Courage & Conviction in the same series about the Reformation church. The stories really bring the people to life. I give this series a big thumbs up!

The Bronze Bow is also set in the same time period.

Donna A., you seem so familiar with MFW. Do you think I will regret starting with RTR instead of doing ECC? I will definitely do ECC, but my 7th grader needs to finish her history cycle before high school.

So, I was thinking do RTR this year, followed by the two years of American, and then do ECC. I know that is backwards from what they recommend. The advantage to doing it this way is that I could then do all 5 together because the youngest two would be old enough to do it by then.

Do you think it would be better to do ECC THIS year? But, if we do that, my dd who will be in 7th grade would only get up to the reformation before hitting it all at a high school level. Also, my dh is thinking wait on the geography. I know I will do what he says about it, but I was wondering what you thought about waiting because you are familiar with MFW.

Thoughts? Thank you so much for all your responses today. Very helpful!

I did/am doing exactly what you're planning. :D Well, sort of. I'm making some adjustments and doing it in a weird way that MFW would never approve of over this next year and a half because my dd will be in 8th grade next year. We lost a lot of time this past year due to major stuff going on in our circumstances and didn't even start school until October. So yeah, we're definitely behind, but it'll work out. But no, we didn't start with ECC. It's on the calendar, though, because I definitely want to do it... not so much for the geography aspect, but for the culture study and missionary bios. (Not that we couldn't read the missionary bios at any time, but I want to tie them into the culture study and geography of ECC. IOW, the geography aspect of ECC is secondary to me. We're very missions minded here, so studying about the *people* is our first priority over the *land*.... if that makes any sense.)

Momofabcd, The Bronze Bow is already scheduled in RTR. The others would work, though. In fact, I think Mystery of the Roman Ransom is on the Book Basket list in the manual.