Menu

OT: Homemade hot chocolate?

Homemade hot cocoa mix:

3 c nonfat dry milk

2 c confectioner's sugar

1 1/2 c cocoa (i use dutch process)

1 1/2 c white chocolate chips

1/4 tsp salt

Buzz in 2 batches through food processor until chocolate is finely ground. To use, heat 1 c hot milk and stir in 1/3 c mix. Can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 mo.

It was 50 degrees here this week so I don't feel out-of-place posting this.

Here is my current favorite mocha routine:

1 tsp. (really, that little is needed !) of Green & Black's "Fair Trade Cocoa Powder"

http://www.greenandblacks.com/us/what-we-make/hot-chocolate/fairtrade-cocoa-powder.html

1 tsp. xylitol (if watching sugar intake) (You can substitute regular sugar, and use a bit more than 1 tsp. if you need to.)

1 tsp. Kroger store brand organic instant coffee

(Yes, an instant coffee that truly tastes good !)

Place the dry ingredients in your coffee mug or cup.

Microwave 4 oz. water mixed with 4 oz. skim milk (or rice milk, soy milk, higher fat milk, almond milk, whatever you prefer).

Add hot liquid to the mug and stir well.

For additional self-pampering, add 1/2 tsp. pure almond extract, or 1/2 tsp. pure peppermint extract.

For general hot chocolate purposes, I also like the Ghiradelli mixes (follow tin directions), the Green & Blacks mix -- http://www.greenandblacks.com/us/what-we-make/hot-chocolate/hot-chocolate.html --, and another brand, name of which I forget.

I don't care for Swiss Miss, Land O' Lakes, and that type. Somehow, there is a "chalky" aftertaste with these brands, as well as comparatively higher fat content.

I'll appreciate any other suggestions of good brands !

I guess it's technically hot cocoa .... Put some cocoa in a cup with sugar, and stir. Then add in a small amount of hot water. Stir. Then add hot milk (or a mix of hot water and hot milk), and a bit of vanilla or whatever other flavoring, OR add cold milk and heat. It comes out much better if you dissolve the cocoa in water; if you just add milk, it never really dissolves and you have lumps.

1 tsp. Kroger store brand organic instant coffee

(Yes, an instant coffee that truly tastes good !)

!

Woohoo! I just bought some of this today as a flavoring for other drinks, and I was kicking myself for not checking with the Hive first for suggestions. Most brands are . . . how to say this politely . . . not coffee-like. ;)

And I'm going to copy down your recipe; sounds delish.

Guest Katia

I usually make 4 mugs at a time, so this is what I do:

fill 4 mugs with milk ; pour that milk into a sauce-pan

add:

4 Tbs. baking cocoa

1/2 cup sugar

stir constantly over medium heat - don't let the milk burn or boil, just get it real hot

remove from heat when hot and add:

2 tsp. vanilla flavoring

Pour back into mugs and serve.

My family LOVES this.

250g Cadburys dark cooking chocolate (I suggest you try every brand your supermarket has just to make sure you find the best) and melt it in 1L of water, with a cinnamon stick or two. A pinch of chilli is optional.

Dh's recipe and it's the best ever! Mind you, his mulled grape juice is pretty good too. We're intending to find out if mulled cranberry juice is good too. It would be a shame to die curious :D

Rosie

This instant coffee is their private label, the upscale one -- starts with the letter "P", but I'm blanking out, and am too lazy to run downstairs to check. (Sorry !) I agree with you that most instant coffees are unpleasant. Sometimes I buy the Whole Foods Market instant, but discovered this Kroger variety and liked it better. We brew "real" coffee, but when I want to make a bulk mix and store in a glass jar, I use instant.

Gotta run now. Tornado watches continue, and hail/storms have revived again.

Woohoo! I just bought some of this today as a flavoring for other drinks, and I was kicking myself for not checking with the Hive first for suggestions. Most brands are . . . how to say this politely . . . not coffee-like. ;)

And I'm going to copy down your recipe; sounds delish.