Menu

Charlotte Mason's Elementary Geography

• 3 years later...
I'm bumping this OLD thread. Is anyone using Charlotte Mason Geography? I hadn't even heard of it before today.

:bigear:

Here is an HTML version for people that cannot access Google Books.

I'd be interested in knowing. I have it scheduled to do it this coming school year because it was listed as part of the HUFI curriculum. But I'd love to know if someone has already used it and what she/he thought!

Here it is: Home geography for primary grades

I have printed it off to use. According to the front page, the author also wrote some books on language arts so I went looking for those earlier today. Not to take the thread off course, but here they are, for your perusal:

New language exercises for primary schools: Part 1

New language exercises for primary schools, Part 2

Lessons in English: grammar and composition

I just took a quick glance but they look promising.

I have printed it off to use. According to the front page, the author also wrote some books on language arts so I went looking for those earlier today. Not to take the thread off course, but here they are, for your perusal:

Those look wonderful!

I'm going to have to look that over. At first glance, I think I may like it better than the CM Geography.

wah, can't get google books in aus :glare:

But anyway, yes we use Charlotte Mason Elementary Geography because I wanted something light and easy. It's just basically a lesson that you read out. I usually give my kids something to colour while I'm reading. I can't say I love all of it but I do like the way some of the lessons are explained particularly. It is, however, one of those extras that is hard to get done...

In the vintage geographies, the "primary" and "home" geographies come first, then the "elementary" and "complete" geographies come next, followed by the "physical" geographies. The middle level geographies are the ones that are usually the most racist and outdated, but also the ones covering the topics I want to cover the most.

The Charlotte Mason book is just the first book in a series, and in the middle level. It is comparable with the Eclectic elementary and complete books, but more in depth.

If you sign up for this CM yahoo group, you can access all of the CM geographies in the files section, and also this google version of an adorable introduction to parts of speech.

The rest of the CM series is too out of date, but I wanted to see it.

Edited by Hunter

In the vintage geographies, the "primary" and "home" geographies come first, then the "elementary" and "complete" geographies come next, followed by the "physical" geographies.

I think this information that you just gave me is why I'm thinking the Long Home Geography is probably a better fit for me this year with my aged children, and save Charlotte Mason's Elementary geography for the following year.

I think this information that you just gave me is why I'm thinking the Long Home Geography is probably a better fit for me this year with my aged children, and save Charlotte Mason's Elementary geography for the following year.

That's what I thought when I read your post. There are other home and primary geographies, and little of it is outdated or racist. Happy hunting!

CM Geography was NOT written for the littles.

Geography was a big deal in times past and they had sound theories about teaching it. Geography was the only content class that some school taught and the strictest Amish sects still follow this idea. The 3Rs plus geography.

I'm thinking the Long Home Geography is probably a better fit for me this year with my aged children

I'm glad you like it too! There's lots of neat stuff in there, and poems too, for those wanting a regular poetry section! It is a pretty broad view of geography, and I think it provides a nice overview of how many things in the world works. (Not quite sure why animals' feet are geography, but hey, why not.)

I'm glad you like it too! There's lots of neat stuff in there, and poems too, for those wanting a regular poetry section! It is a pretty broad view of geography, and I think it provides a nice overview of how many things in the world works. (Not quite sure why animals' feet are geography, but hey, why not.)

I looked through it all last night and I'm pleased! thanks for sharing your find! We are definitely going with this one. :001_smile: