Menu

Starting Mid Year, 2nd Gr. 1st Lang Lessons Q?

Hello

I started homeschooling my second grader in January and have made the shift to Classical Education. If I want to use 1st Language Lessons, do I start him at the start of the book, lesson 1.. or do I start at the first lesson for 2nd grade?

I feel so far behind..we've only just started SOTW Vol 1..etc..

Thanks!

You could start at the beginning, but zip through it quickly. Condense lessons, skip those that review concepts that he already has down pat. (If he knows what a noun and a verb are, however, you could probably easily start him in the middle, at 2nd grade level.)

Oh, and you are not "so far behind." Lots of people start SOTW in 2nd grade or higher (not to mention the youngers that are folded into their older siblings' history schedule), and lots of people take more than a year to do each volume of SOTW. Since he's older, he'll likely get more out of SOTW. Really. Relax and enjoy!

You could start at the beginning, but zip through it quickly. Condense lessons, skip those that review concepts that he already has down pat. (If he knows what a noun and a verb are, however, you could probably easily start him in the middle, at 2nd grade level.)

Oh, and you are not "so far behind." Lots of people start SOTW in 2nd grade or higher (not to mention the youngers that are folded into their older siblings' history schedule), and lots of people take more than a year to do each volume of SOTW. Since he's older, he'll likely get more out of SOTW. Really. Relax and enjoy!

:iagree: It's really easy to skip ahead if he's solid on those parts already.

The first lessons are SO short, you could easily do as many as five lessons a day at first. There's lots of repetition. If you combine lessons, just skip the repeated parts, and introduce the new stuff. Practice the memory work about five times a day, until he knows it. Then, move on. The second grade part of the book is much more involved, but you should be easily through the book within a year.

Hello

I started homeschooling my second grader in January and have made the shift to Classical Education. If I want to use 1st Language Lessons, do I start him at the start of the book, lesson 1.. or do I start at the first lesson for 2nd grade?

I feel so far behind..we've only just started SOTW Vol 1..etc..

Thanks!

Start at the beginning moving as slow or fast as you feel comfortable doing.

My dd learned to read at 10yo and we just started SOTW Ancients this year.

We are in 5th grade (she is almost 12).

Sometimes it's easier to introduce work later.

What it takes three years to cover when they are too young, will take one year to cover when they are ready.

There is an old thread you might want to read - give yourself some peace - it was titled Delayed Academics.

Analytic Grammar doesn't start until the kids are 10 or 12.