Menu

How to do what I want to do!

Ok, I've been searching for a box to put my 5 year old and can't find one!! :lol: Unit studies didn't work. School at home didn't work. Workbooks didn't work.

I found Charlotte Mason, read some of her books, got some curriculum from LBC and we've been doing that for about week or so. DD is really liking all the additional reading, though I haven't asked her to narrate yet(trying to ease in slowly). But she told me today that we aren't doing enough; she's bored. :confused:

So I've also been reading the WTM and am really liking what I'm seeing there. Does anyone have any suggestions for combining CM and WTM? Please be specific. How to schedule, subjects to include, curricula to use would all be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

have you asked your child what they want to study? You may be surprised at the list that can be created. Following this little one's interests may be wonderfully fun and creative. Sneak in some writing, math, spelling by conducting experiements, visiting experts, filling up laundry baskets of library books, making a video, keeping a diary and drawing or taking pictures. Just a thought...best wishes!

Thank you so much for your response! :) Actually I have asked her from time to time what she would like to do, but she has trouble articulating those types of things. Oddly enough!! No trouble saying anything else!! :D

The main problem I'm having is an insane two year old who permits no planning time during the day, or even the night. (he still doesn't sleep through the night) I was trying to do some unit studies based on what she requested or on whatever holiday was closest, but it's just too time consuming for our place in life right now. Perhaps in a year or so, when the baby has settled and potty trained, but right now time during the day is a premium. That's why I was looking for a box. But that didn't work either.

I guess I'll just have to piece-meal stuff together. sigh. :tongue_smilie:

5 is very young, and she just might not have a "box" yet.

When I started out (eons ago), I found what worked for *me,* and what I thought would work for ds #1. What worked for me was classical education and the plans laid out in the WTM. The first year we just followed that. Most of it was a success, but at the end of the first year I had a better idea about what sort of thing was a good fit for him. The second year I changed a few things, and we kept going.

If what you're doing now works for you and also seems to work for her, then keep it up! Find out what she means by bored, though. What does she think would help?

You're right, this may not be the season for elaborate unit studies. You could always focus on the basics in the morning (reading, penmanship, math- these are very much "just do the next page" sorts of subjects that don't require a lot of planning) and then during the baby's naptime do small science experiments, read books about a topic she's interested in, do art, etc.

5 is very young, and she just might not have a "box" yet.

That's a good point!

When I started out (eons ago), I found what worked for *me,* and what I thought would work for ds #1. What worked for me was classical education and the plans laid out in the WTM. The first year we just followed that. Most of it was a success, but at the end of the first year I had a better idea about what sort of thing was a good fit for him. The second year I changed a few things, and we kept going.

I have a feeling this is what we're going to do as well. I've just been reading WTM and find that I agree with 90% of it. Plus everything is right there. It seems as good of a jumping off place as any.

If what you're doing now works for you and also seems to work for her, then keep it up! Find out what she means by bored, though. What does she think would help? You're right, this may not be the season for elaborate unit studies. You could always focus on the basics in the morning (reading, penmanship, math- these are very much "just do the next page" sorts of subjects that don't require a lot of planning) and then during the baby's naptime do small science experiments, read books about a topic she's interested in, do art, etc.

She seems to want to do MORE. I tried the shorter lessons idea of CM and it's not long enough for her. She wants more. Right now we're daily doing math, handwriting and reading aloud.

She's really enjoying MUS right now. We usually do 1 or 2 pages in there a day. I need a new handwriting since HWT caused tears! :P Plus I need to find a phonics for the already reading child. I don't think she's quite ready for spelling or grammar. I'd like to hold those at least until the fall. She's enjoying the extra reading (a la CM) that I've added in, so that's working. At least that can be done with a toddler crawling up, down, over, under and all around!! :lol:

She seems to want to do MORE. I tried the shorter lessons idea of CM and it's not long enough for her. She wants more.

That's why I thought maybe having a different kind of more in the afternoons might work. Not more bookwork, but more "fun" things. Do the bookwork in the mornings and things like art, large muscle, nature walks, kitchen science experiments, and fun things like that in the afternoon. She's still learning, but it's not "school."

I don't think she's quite ready for spelling or grammar. I'd like to hold those at least until the fall. Too right. Spelling and grammar can wait until at least 1/2way through the first grade. I think ds #1 was halfway through Phonics Pathways (reading "Cat in the Hat" type books) when we began spelling.

v

That sounds good. I guess my biggest problem is figuring out how to do everything. I'm having serious time management issues!! Especially for this Type A control freak! :lol: I'm going to have to look at the day and see when and where things can be squeezed to make more room for those types of things.

The only thing that even remotely tempts me to do some spelling with her is that I see the frustration on her face when she can't write me a note. She reads approx. 3rd grade level, but her writing skills are age appropriate. The disparity frustrates her. But at the same time, I'd hate to bog her down with all of that right now. Plus summer is coming. Time to drag out the pool!! :tongue_smilie:

Thanks for letting me bounce this around a bit. It helps having other, more experienced minds listen to my ramblings! :001_smile:

"The only thing that even remotely tempts me to do some spelling with her is that I see the frustration on her face when she can't write me a note. She reads approx. 3rd grade level, but her writing skills are age appropriate. The disparity frustrates her. But at the same time, I'd hate to bog her down with all of that right now."

You could try Spell to Write and Read, a light version to get her started, start simple with 10 words and progess to 20 words weekly by fall. She may really enjoy the routine and it takes 5-10mins daily. I would not have her write the sentences for each word but rather the words themselves.

I wouldn't worry about spelling at 5, or even grammar, necessarily. I'd make it mentally stimulating.

What I wish I'd known about when my dc were 5 is MEP. It's more challenging in many ways, yet my dc find it so much more fun because it's not in the regular math boxes. They also do Singapore Math.

Read, read, read. Mine like workbooks to some degree, but if they didn't, I wouldn't use them. I don't like mindless workbooks, but do like the Singapore Math workbooks and a few others.

Mine still don't fit well into any box even now, but it's easier to figure out what to do with them now that they're older. I never found any of those learning types totally fit (especially not at 5!!!), but my middle one fits the artistically gifted profile to a T (all but one of the traits) and that has helped me to know.

At five, I would largely go with interests, but I should tell you that I don't do that much at 5 or 6 compared with many here, but by late middle school we're almost completely draconian. Mine are reluctant scholars, however, despite being gifted.

You could try Spell to Write and Read, a light version to get her started, start simple with 10 words and progess to 20 words weekly by fall. She may really enjoy the routine and it takes 5-10mins daily. I would not have her write the sentences for each word but rather the words themselves.

I had forgotten about them. Thank you!

What I wish I'd known about when my dc were 5 is MEP. It's more challenging in many ways, yet my dc find it so much more fun because it's not in the regular math boxes. They also do Singapore Math.

We tried MEP briefly. Neither of us could figure it out!!!! I just put it down to neither of us being very mathy. :tongue_smilie:

Read, read, read. Mine like workbooks to some degree, but if they didn't, I wouldn't use them. I don't like mindless workbooks, but do like the Singapore Math workbooks and a few others.

This is what we're doing now. She just keeps telling me it's not enough. :mellow: She is a study in opposites!!!!!:D

We tried MEP briefly. Neither of us could figure it out!!!! I just put it down to neither of us being very mathy. :tongue_smilie:

This is what we're doing now. She just keeps telling me it's not enough. :mellow: She is a study in opposites!!!!!:D

Got it. If you're not that mathy, but want something fun, there is an easier-to-get free extra that you may like. There are teacher's instructions. http://ceure.buffalostate.edu/~csmp/ There's also Miquon, but you have to buy it, either new or used, along with the rods.

"The box" never worked the best for my children. I'd suggest choosing things for each subject separately and making up your own plan.

I'd also encourage letting your child work as far as she can in any subject she can, but especially emphasizing a broad range of reading and mastery of basic math. Spelling, grammar, science, social studies, etc. will all flow naturally from reading a wide variety of well-written books.

"The box" never worked the best for my children. I'd suggest choosing things for each subject separately and making up your own plan.

I'd also encourage letting your child work as far as she can in any subject she can, but especially emphasizing a broad range of reading and mastery of basic math. Spelling, grammar, science, social studies, etc. will all flow naturally from reading a wide variety of well-written books.

:lol: It's taken me a year, but this is the conclusion that I have come to!! Thanks for the support!

:iagree:

I've been at this for almost 10 years now, am graduating my oldest, and we have NEVER found a "box".

When my kids were young I didn't let myself think in terms of WTM or Charlotte Mason or whatever. We did some math -- Miquon or Singapore, they learned to read and did some handwriting and copy work, but otherwise we just enjoyed the world. Gardening, baking, playing games, going to the library, spending all day reading aloud, doing crafts going to concerts and performances, to museums, the zoo, the beach. We did that until about 4th grade then we eased into more formal schooling. Honestly, there are days in high school where we still just learn by pursuing our own interests or by going out and doing something fun together.

A very wise lady who used to frequent these boards would say something like "Read, think and discuss". Your kids learn more through natural conversations with you about books, their thoughts and interests than they ever will through any curricula or program.

Forget about levels. Forget methodology. Just live a rich and interesting life and they will learn.

I love your attitude and philosophy of homeschooling. I am reading "And the skylark sings with me" by David H. Albert, his sentiments are as yours. His is a story of their family unschooling two gifted children-wonderful examples of "free time learning." I do often have a hard time just allowing my children to freely learn but I am getting better. It can be difficult to resist the temptation of a "boxed" curriculum for it seems easier than trusting my children to guide the way. Trying to change........