Menu

Offended to the point of NAUSEA

There is a guy that my dh works with who is a Christian and seems like a really nice guy. And it is really nice for dh to have another Christian man to talk with at work. They hang out at lunch, pray for each other, etc.

UNTIL

Last night this man gives my dh a cd to listen to. It is a sermon by one of this man's "favorite" preachers named Dr. Phil Kidd whom we have never heard of. My dh pops it into the player and...

OH MY GOSH. I cannot believe the crap that was spewing out of this man's mouth! Look, I get that some people don't like Christianity because of its "there is only one way to the father" message and therefore would probably be put off by many sermons.

But this sermon was the most offensive thing I have ever heard. I do not know how this man can call himself a Christian much less a preacher. He called Muslims "Sand Monkeys" and used the word "f*g" in reference to all kinds of people. He said "if one of those sand monkeys came after my family I'd blow their heads off with a shotgun."

All to the whoops and hollering and "amens!" of the crowd. I am literally nauseated. Believe me when I tell you that these examples are mild compared to some of the other things he said. My dh was absolutely floored. I told him never to bring that racist filth in our house again.

If people listen to this man it is no wonder they don't want to be Christian.

What should dh say to the guy at work? He seems like such a good Christian guy but if he really likes this preacher then he is heading down a dangerous path. How can my dh approach this with him without offedning him?

Are you sure dh didn't misunderstand and the friend was as aghast as you and dh about this preacher? Maybe he was just wanting someone else to hear it and be as freaked out as he was. At least, I hope that is what it was. If not, OMG.

No, unfortunately this is about the 4th cd he has given us...we just had not had the chance to listen to any of them.

If it were me, I wouldn't worry about offending him. I'd tell him I find it (the cd/preacher) highly offensive and inappropriate.

:iagree:

Christians are supposed to correct one another. This would be a good time for correction.

Peer pressure can be used for good, not just for ill.

DH can hand it back and say, "Sheesh, that was truly nauseating, hate-filled, name calling. Kind of the opposite of Jesus, huh?" and nod the head (which has a way of causing others to nod in agreement) as he turns away to get back to work.

How the friend reacts will dictate DH's next move: closer or further from this guy.

Peer pressure can be used for good, not just for ill.

DH can hand it back and say, "Sheesh, that was truly nauseating, hate-filled, name calling. Kind of the opposite of Jesus, huh?" and nod the head (which has a way of causing others to nod in agreement) as he turns away to get back to work.

How the friend reacts will dictate DH's next move: closer or further from this guy.

:iagree:You never know, maybe you can open his eyes to the fact the Jesus means love not hate.

Christians are supposed to correct one another. This would be a good time for correction.

:iagree:

In a spirit of love. But the Bible says that if we call our brother "Raca" (emptyhead) it's the equivalent of murder, so this kind of namecalling certainly wouldn't seem acceptable. And I thought we were supposed to bless those who persecute us, not blow them away . . .

I would tell him how I feel. That preacher is the reason many people turn or won't even consider Christ. Legalism is one thing. Hatred and lack of Grace are some really huge things to consider with that type of "preaching".

But, what has your husband to offer back in love and mercy?

A bit OT, perhaps...

My husband was recently approached by someone at our church. I guess they share an acquaintance from the school they are attending. I was amazed at the difference towards this person. He wasn't being offensive though, it was just so different. My husband is more of a let's talk about God over a beer, though.

We can be kind of different Christians, though. So, my thoughts may only be worth so much. We recently read The Irresistible Revolution (if I may offer) and are finally feeling a lot more comfortable in our own path.

If this is the 4th CD this man has given you, he must assume that you both listened to the other 3. Since dh keeps accepting them, he assumes that dh likes the CDs. I would return all 4 to him at the same time. Tell him that you only just now listened to one and it does not follow what you believe Christianity is about. Then change the subject. Your dh doesn't have to elaborate on what he finds offensive unless he is asked. He has to work with the guy so maybe the less said, the better.

If this is the 4th CD this man has given you, he must assume that you both listened to the other 3. Since dh keeps accepting them, he assumes that dh likes the CDs. I would return all 4 to him at the same time. Tell him that you only just now listened to one and it does not follow what you believe Christianity is about. Then change the subject. Your dh doesn't have to elaborate on what he finds offensive unless he is asked. He has to work with the guy so maybe the less said, the better.

This is excellent advice.

Yuck!

I think your dh should sit down and write out a Biblical case against the specific sermons on the CD, and share it with his friend. Present God's Word, and let it speak for itself.

btw - I love the song in your siggy!

There is a guy that my dh works with who is a Christian and seems like a really nice guy. And it is really nice for dh to have another Christian man to talk with at work. They hang out at lunch, pray for each other, etc.

UNTIL

Last night this man gives my dh a cd to listen to. It is a sermon by one of this man's "favorite" preachers named Dr. Phil Kidd whom we have never heard of. My dh pops it into the player and...

OH MY GOSH. I cannot believe the crap that was spewing out of this man's mouth! Look, I get that some people don't like Christianity because of its "there is only one way to the father" message and therefore would probably be put off by many sermons.

But this sermon was the most offensive thing I have ever heard. I do not know how this man can call himself a Christian much less a preacher. He called Muslims "Sand Monkeys" and used the word "f*g" in reference to all kinds of people. He said "if one of those sand monkeys came after my family I'd blow their heads off with a shotgun."

All to the whoops and hollering and "amens!" of the crowd. I am literally nauseated. Believe me when I tell you that these examples are mild compared to some of the other things he said. My dh was absolutely floored. I told him never to bring that racist filth in our house again.

If people listen to this man it is no wonder they don't want to be Christian.

What should dh say to the guy at work? He seems like such a good Christian guy but if he really likes this preacher then he is heading down a dangerous path. How can my dh approach this with him without offedning him?

That is so crazy that it's almost funny. For all this going on about sand monkeys, how is this preacher any different from those imans going on tirades against Westerners? They are both caricatures that unfortunately are using religion to promote crimes against humanity.

God gave man reason, brains, and discernment. Time to use those gifts.

My husband is pretty direct. He would probably return the tape and say, "Please don't give me anything like that again. I found it reprehensible and contrary to God's word."

That might offend him, but I find that people with these kinds of extremist views seem to enjoy conflict rather than get upset and feel offended.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I might advise your dh to do something different if the guy wasn't a co-worker, but in this case, I'm not sure I'd want to make a federal case out of it. Return the CDs, tell the guy that he couldn't really get into them, and if the guy insists on knowing what your dh didn't like about the CDs, your dh could simply say that the preacher seemed pretty extreme to him, and that your family tries very hard not to be prejudiced against other races.

Let's face it -- this guy is listening to some nasty stuff, and if he thinks your dh adamantly disagrees with him, who knows what he'll do? I'm not saying he'll get violent or anything like that, but if he starts to view your dh as an enemy, the workplace could get pretty stressful.

I'd try to keep things as friendly as possible, and then have your dh gradually begin to distance himself from the guy.

Cat

PS. Malaysia is looking better and better, isn't it? ;)

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

PS. Malaysia is looking better and better, isn't it? ;)

You can say that again. I think what weirds me out the most is how "normal" this guy seems and yet he thinks this Dr. Kidd guy is the greatest thing. I swear some of the stuff on that cd actually hurt my ears. Who is this whackjob anyways? Has anyone ever heard of him?

There is a guy that my dh works with who is a Christian and seems like a really nice guy...

...He seems like such a good Christian guy but if he really likes this preacher then he is heading down a dangerous path. How can my dh approach this with him without offedning him?

One thing a minister friend of mine is always careful to point out is that "nice" is not the same thing as "good" and that often many Christians seem to get the two confused.

I agree with everyone else who says to give the CD's back and make it clear you both found them unacceptable, hateful and had no interest in listening to any more like them.

I support your desire to stand up for goodness and decency and tell this co-worker that this is not appropriate whatsoever, particularly given the religious veneer of the talk. It's important that we all continue to repel this sort of horrific prejudice and vicious talk. Good luck to you and your husband.

I wouldn't worry about offending this person. He obviously wasn't concerned about offending your family. Geez, what would have happened if your children had been in the room and had caught some of this? That's just horrible!

That almost made me cry...I feel the same way. People spewing such filth in His holy name...I feel like breaking the cds into pieces with a hammer then giving them back...but that probably wouldn't seem very Christ-like either.:glare:

I don't know. At least that would prevent him from handing the CD onto the next person!

Guest janainaz

An honest answer is a kiss on the lips. I'd definitely say something, but more in the way of asking the guy questions.

No, unfortunately this is about the 4th cd he has given us...we just had not had the chance to listen to any of them.

Oh! This is why he keeps giving your husband the Cd's. Since your husband hasn't responded in a negative way to the other Cd's, he thinks your husband is okay with it.