Menu

Ideas for next year? Integrating Bible, history, science....

Ugh, I hate this feeling of looking at curriculum again...

I own and will prob end up using MOH and TOG, but I am wondering if anyone knows of something out there that really weaves deep Biblical learning with everything else...sort of the idea of Heart of Dakota, but for the Middle Ages and Renaissance. I love the idea of a unit study linking history, science, and Bible....I think HOD does this extremely well, but I am a year ahead of their development and am not willing to sit back a year and wait for it...we have covered creation to Christ, we are in the early church history at the moment....what is out there that I should look at?

ANY IDEAS???

Ugh, I hate this feeling of looking at curriculum again...

I own and will prob end up using MOH and TOG, but I am wondering if anyone knows of something out there that really weaves deep Biblical learning with everything else...sort of the idea of Heart of Dakota, but for the Middle Ages and Renaissance. I love the idea of a unit study linking history, science, and Bible....I think HOD does this extremely well, but I am a year ahead of their development and am not willing to sit back a year and wait for it...we have covered creation to Christ, we are in the early church history at the moment....what is out there that I should look at?

ANY IDEAS???

MFW?

What about MOH or TOG is not thrilling you? I do have a schedule made to combine the two. It is in the files of the MOH 1 group, or e-mail me if you are interested in it. :D

MOH is also coming out with a new literature/LA package that includes, well a lot. It might be of interest to you. It is called Illuminations and you can find out more at Bright Ideas Press. Volume 2 and 3 are supposed to be finished by fall.

Heather

Thanks, friends!

I had MFW before and used it for 3 years. K, 1st and Adventures. But it isn't really what I am looking for now....there is good integration of Biblical and world history, but I guess I am looking to blend in more heart-spirituality....applying Biblical principles in our lives, in our hearts....a huge strength of HOD.

I also looked at WP awhile back. It has the time period I want to do, it has MOH which I love, but I wasn't seeing real links between the academic content and personal spiritual application. I guess that is what I was saying about MFW, too....both are awesome at weaving in Biblical and world history, but I guess what I am looking for is more the personal aspect....I want to help my children learn to seek and know the Lord THROUGH our studies....I am not explaining this well. I am not at all criticizing MFW or WP, I think they are great, just not exactly what I was looking for....but close, and good ideas!!!

I think I have talked myself back into HOD! Maybe I need to sacrifice the academic ideal of continuiing the cycle of history where we left off, for the things that matter most to me....either that, or I need to spend the net few months writing my own curriculum! LOL!!! I want to do that, but I have to keep my focus here, too, isnt my point to spend more time discipling my children instead of with my nose in a book? :lol: It is so easy to get distracted!

Happy to entertain any other thoughts!!! Thanks so very much to each one of you for your thoughtfulness and helpfulness! We are so blessed to have so many wonderful options like MFW, HOD, WP, etc...

Thanks, friends!

I had MFW before and used it for 3 years. K, 1st and Adventures. But it isn't really what I am looking for now....there is good integration of Biblical and world history, but I guess I am looking to blend in more heart-spirituality....applying Biblical principles in our lives, in our hearts....a huge strength of HOD.

and it is a huge strength of MFW too. I've used all of the years up to high school. It is not just Biblical and World History.

Kindy level is about getting to know God and applying lessons such as loving God, family, obeying, knowing that you are safe in God.

1st grade: uhm.... you said you did first grade. So, certainly you remember the Proverbs work each week for character and applying the wisdom in the book of Proverbs. So... uhmmm

Anyway, I've done the other programs and we really like the character building that is part of it all, especially when we read biographies of people who applied it to their hearts and lives. Or even historical fiction with Christian values in the characters lives. (check out the read alouds in RTR and CTG!)

Then, to watch my kids take to heart wanting to show love to others and even thinking about things like supporting Bible translation so that others can have God's word in their language. Well, that's not just and only "integrated Biblical history" -- that's now and future and part of their heart and lives! That's learning to apply all of it in their lives. It's not just memory work with the Bible either. There is so much character building in MFW. It's not just a missions focus at all.

-crystal

Edited by cbollin

Wow lovetobehome, I could have written the same post!! I'm on track to do Year 2 but am contemplating doing HOD's Preparing next year and use their Middle Ages the following year. I felt the same things about MFW specifically wanting more than to just memorize a bible verse. ???? Decisions, decisions.

Well, I was lumping it all in Year 2. I did TOG/SOTW this year. If I don't do HOD I was thinking of doing SOTW/MOH. The thing that I get caught up on is that we were a part of an Ancients Co-op that my kids loved that will do Middle Ages next year that we couldn't join.:confused:

:iagree: MFW!

I just went through a two month ORDEAL, trying to decide on curriculum for next year. Your are right, there really is no PERFECT curriculum. We all have specific preferences, goals and desires when it comes to home studies.

At first glance, MFW was close to what I was looking for in a curriculum, but I kept searching! Like you, I was hoping to find a program that integrated the Bible into other subjects, such as history and science. I soon discovered that MFW does this - many of the art and music lessons are even centered around the Bible or other history lessons.

One morning, I spent some time browsing the MFW message board. Reading the thoughts of other parents who had experienced MFW and how it influenced their homeschool was a real eye opener. I appreciated reading how their lives were spiritually effected through the use of MFW. I just recently purchased the MFW materials and can't wait to begin! (Here is a link to the thread that helped me: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=610 )

One thing I'd like to add: YOU are the HEART of your homeschool! We can treat the Bible as if it were just another subject that we need to check off our "to-do" list. Or, we can treat it as something that is living and breathing. It seems that MFW has done a very nice job of integrating good sound Biblical material into the lesson plans. It is simply up to the homeschooling parent to bring it to life - to make sure we give enough time and attention to allow the spiritual aspect of our studies to really flourish.

I wish you well in your search. Deciding between the many excellent programs available is no easy task!!

Did I see you say in another post your dc are 9 and under? I have 3 sensible suggestions:

-CLP's Story of the Middle Ages--a textbook, but not too bad, wish I had used this

-SOTW2

-VP-cards are the spine, allowing you to plug in what you want.

Also consider christian textbooks for math, science, reading, etc. as a painlesss way to get that consistent message you're wanting.

Hmm...maybe I have to go back to looking at MFW and reconsider what it was that I found different.

I had bought RTR and looked it over, several years ago, and decided not to use it. But sounds like it deserves another look. Thanks, Crystal!

I've seen a lot of people jump ship early on in MFW without ever getting to the actual history cycle. Very different. ;) Not that K-2nd aren't a history cycle in and of themselves... they are. But it's *biblical* history, not so much secular history or "SOTW" history.

In K the child is learning where he came from and who created all things... big emphasis on God's Creation. Character development and obedience are important aspects this year, as well.

In 1st grade, the child is getting a Bible overview at an age-appropriate level with memory verses from Proverbs. She's learning that we go to God's Word for the answers to life... the source of all Wisdom. If that's not teaching to the heart, I don't know what is.

In 2nd grade (Adventures), the child is learning about Jesus our Saviour, His names and characteristics, and science being tied to the names of Jesus is a significant character aspect, as well.

So you have God the Father and Creator, God's Word, and God the Son and Saviour. I can't think of a more important "character study" than that.

ECC is learning about other people and religions around the world, their needs (physical and spiritual), and praying for them daily. Learning that there are a lot of other people out there besides ourselves. And studying the lives of many missionaries and how God worked in their hearts and minds through the trials of life and service to the Lord. Getting into the daily habit of prayer for others.

CTG begins again with an Old Testament "survey" and distinguishing God's Truth from the "truth" of the ancient false gods. The child is learning discernment here.

RTR covers the nations at the time of Christ, His birth, death and Resurrection, the ministry of Paul, the sinful ways of man and consequences of that and how it affected the growth of the world and the Church.... and taking a peek into the hearts of people who would've lived when the world as they knew it was being turned completely over by Christ's presence and ministry (i.e., the read-alouds scheduled in RTR, as well as what's studied in the New Testament). Romans 12 is one of the passages memorized, btw, as is 1 Corinthians 13. Take a quick peek at those and tell me they don't address the heart. ;)

In EX1850 you study and memorize the book of James, and there's a wealth of wisdom there! It'll get the student to thinking about what he's doing with all that Bible knowledge he's gaining.

Then in 1850MOD, you again read missionary bios and stories of people who are suffering in other lands, while each student is doing their own personal Bible study to help get to know God just a little better at a middle-student's age level.

And in all of those years, you're memorizing hymns together and reading the stories of the people who wrote those hymns. Learning just how God convicted each of those hymn authors and how He had worked in that person's life to prompt him/her to write the hymn.

If these things don't address the heart of the student, then I must be sorely confused about just what part of the Bible is good for that, or what the point is of studying God's work in mankind. Not to mention that we're doing these things together as a family.... any time you're studying the Word of God together and praying together, you ARE teaching to the heart of the student.... and parent, too. No one curriculum is going to "fix" that over another curriculum. :)

So...I decided to buy Rome to the Reformation and check it out again! Thanks to all of you!

It was awhile back that I decided not to use it, and honestly I can't recall what my objection was. I know I didn't want to use ECC because of the strong Protestant missionary focus (we are Orthodox Christian, so we wanted to focus on our missionaries).

I always like piecing my own school together, but while that has its benefits, it also has its drawbacks----integration, which is so important to me. I seem to vacillate between the two.

So my current idea is to do RTR (and add in MOH, because I love it so much) which would be great because I can keep on our history cycle and get the integration and Biblical emphasis, OR try HOD's Preparing. I have been using it this week (I already own it) and I do love some parts of it so so much, but I am still stuck on the history cycle, and I think I might like RTR at this stage of the game.

So, just thanking you all for your input and sales pitches :-)

I am excited, I bought RTR and now just have to wait!

And, I did sell my TOG so at least I made THAT decision!

Yeah, that integration is hard to do on your own. It takes a LOT of time. I've heard stories about MFW staff coming back from the library with carloads of books and videos to be reviewed for inclusion in the Book Basket list. Considering that every book on that list has been pre-read and author's notes added to the manual about each one, that alone makes MY job a whole lot easier! :001_smile:

And then there's all the Bible knowledge and historical research that goes into it.... an advantage there is the fact that Marie and David have been to Bible college, served as missionaries overseas for 8 years (plus all the prep time before that), and have worked closely with Bible translation work for many years now. As long as they don't include denominational specifics re: eschatology, etc. (which they don't -- I don't even know what their position is on that), I have a lot of trust there. ;)