Menu

This may be obvious and I may feel really dumb for asking....

Mommy7

Do you insist on neatness with manuscript before teaching cursive? My dd is finishing second grade and just tends to be messy with her work. Neatness is a real issue with her.

Do you suggest that I wait until she writes neatly? (not sure WHEN that would be....;))

My 7 yr old has terrible printed handwriting. I started him with cursive a few weeks ago, and already his cursive writing is so. much. better. than his printing has ever been.

We use Zaner-Bloser, and I like that in each level book they have spots where they go back and review printed writing again; I think that's what I'm going to continue with ds, move forward with cursive and every now and then do a bit of printing practice.

We had that same experience. My daughter's print was as messy as can be, letters never the same height, too close, too far... but she caught on to cursive right away and can write in cursive much better than she ever could in print.

Print is much harder than cursive to make neat. Think about it. You have to lift your pencil off the paper and put it down in all sorts of different places. You use lots of straight lines, and straight lines are hard to draw. You have to remember to put spaces between words that are larger than the spaces between the letters.

Therefore, I do not think you need to perfect print first. (Actually, I teach cursive first!) ;)

I'm glad you asked, because I was wondering the same!

I think we're going to start cursive mid-way through 2nd grade. The last two days ds's writing was so messy I made him re-do it. Usually I just pick out a few letters to rewrite, or a few words to fix the spacing.

I just went on to cursive. For my son, time was helpful. One thing that has helped both of my kids--having them write a star over the best letter/word they write when they do it more than once. This gets THEM evaluating their own writing and thinking about it.

Merry :-)