Menu

We got our chicks today!

I'm sure I was just as nervous this morning as I was preparing to bring my first child home! Can I possibly keep these 9 little feather covered fluff balls alive all on my own? Well it's been almost two hours now and so far so good :)

I can't believe how absolutely adorable these little creatures are. I took their food out and put it on the ground to show it to them and they took to it right away. Most of them still haven't figured out where the water is or how to get it out of the feeder, but a couple of them have. They have all fallen asleep now and it is so adorable I just about can't stand it! They start to fall asleep standing up, wobble a few times and go to sleep. I can empathize. I think I was pretty much like that after the birth of my boys and I wish I was still able to fall asleep that quickly now :D

Edited by mamapjama

Congrats! Chicks are so cute aren't they? You'll be a great chicken mom!

Right now we have 2 Delawares, 2 New Hampshires, 4 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Black sex links, and our star Buff Orpington hen, aptly called Mrs. Chicken, is setting 8 more eggs.

As soon as these leave the brooder we will add a selection of different Wyandottes and couple of turkeys.

This time of year I hear peeping all the time, even in my sleep...:001_smile:

Georgia

Thanks everyone! It has definitely been one of our best homeschool days so far :)

I think they have all learned to drink out of the feeder now:hurray: It's hard to tell as they all look alike at the moment. Hopefully they will begin to look a little bit different from each other at some point. My son wants to name them but we can't keep track of them for more than a minute or two :lol:

I was going to go with heritage birds but decided at the last moment to order from our feed store. I thought there might be a learning curve to this. We have nine pullets and they are a Rhode Island Red and Barred Rock hybrid from what I understand.

I'm sure I'll be up checking on them through the night to make sure all is well. Maybe it's time I had another baby :lol:

Congrats! Chicks are so cute aren't they? You'll be a great chicken mom!

Right now we have 2 Delawares, 2 New Hampshires, 4 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Black sex links, and our star Buff Orpington hen, aptly called Mrs. Chicken, is setting 8 more eggs.

As soon as these leave the brooder we will add a selection of different Wyandottes and couple of turkeys.

This time of year I hear peeping all the time, even in my sleep...:001_smile:

Georgia

Do you keep them all in separate pens or do you consider them "farm birds"

What fun!

We've got chicks in our basement right now. Last year I remember feeling the same way: "Can we do this?"

It's a great time for a bird study, particularly as you watch their feathers grow in and see them turn from fluffballs to awkward gawky "adolescents" to plump fluffy hens. :)

Cat

Do you keep them all in separate pens or do you consider them "farm birds"

They will probably all be together once everyone is old enough and acclimated, although there are two coops and two pens right now. Even split up it is a huge fenced area so they are all kinda free range.

We only have the Buff rooster now, but if we get a Wyandotte rooster then those will be kept separated with their respective hens in order to breed true. ;)

I also forgot the turkey guy is going to give my youngest some black and white Japanese Silkies he is incubating. They are so pretty!

Georgia