Menu

Fun Poll: what are your students doing right now?

My 14 year old 8th grade son: just had a tech deck taken from him. He is intermittently doing his LLATL in between frequent reminders to "focus".

My 12 year old 6th grade dd and 14 year old 8th grade student are upstairs in the newly assembled "library/study hall" ostensibly doing their LLATL.

My 10 year old 4th grade male student is doing Saxon 54 lesson 26. Kinda.

My 10 year old son is going page by page through the Singapore he rushed through instead of doing well. That is when he's not distracted by his brother.

My 5 year old pre-K student is taking a break from her Hooked on Phonics computer work.

10yo is supposed to be cleaning his room for 10 minutes before lunch.

6 and 5yos are "doing math", which means they're mostly chatting b/c I'm not paying enough attention.

2yo (today!) just had dental floss taken away from him. 10yo did not put it away after doing his mountain model/topographic map.:glare:

Ds 11 just finished his quiet reading for the morning.

Before that he ran something to the mailbox and called me outside to watch the hundreds of black w/orange stripe grasshoppers that had descended upon our yard. We watched them for about 5 minutes, fascinating. Now it's lunch time.

As of 9am my 14yo, 9th grade PS student has been gone for two hours. I won't see him again until 5pm. I miss having him home.

My 10yo, 4th grade student just returned from a violin lesson. He is having breakfast and re-reading a book from Riordan's Percy Jackson series (we've been invited to meet the author next week and my son is terribly excited).

We are having a really goofy day because Mom woke up with a migraine. My teen daughter had an out of town friend spend the night and between the out of town friend and the homeschool prom on Saturday nothing much is getting done.

18 yo is socializing with her friend

16 yo is practicing music

14 yo did some religion and English and is now looking up how rpg games are made because he and his younger brother want to write their own rpg game based on the Prydain Chronicles.

10 yo is still recovering from nasty cold. He did some math and spelling and is now watching Toy Story II

7 yo has had a totally free morning. She's already put on several dance shows, worked in her garden and played dress up where she went through about 12 outfits. She keeps asking me when we can do school. I told her when I felt better. So now she's watching Toy Story II waiting for me to feel better!

It's been one of those kinds of days!

Five-year-old is sulking on the couch as his younger sister is playing with a homemade toy -- two water bottles taped together with water flowing back and forth between them.

Yeah, today is "light day". Later we're going to hike in the woods :)

Ds, 20, is still sleeping. Dd, 14, is reading "Archimedes and the Door to Science," Ds, 13, is working on lesson 102 in Saxon Algebra 1/2, Dd, 11, has her nose in a child's version of "Twelfth Night," Dd, 8, is just getting out her BJU Grammar. She just finished reading two books with her little brother, 5. Ds, 5, is now coloring on one of those Veritas Press coloring pages that we neglected to do. It really is rather peaceful at the moment :) We are keeping a close eye on two of our nanny goats today that look close to kidding, although it could be days.....

It's 9:40.

It's my 12yo's birthday, so she is sleeping in as long as she wants.

8yo is at school.

6yo is also sleeping. He's been a pill lately and needs a little extra.

4yo is singing (her life is a song) in the family room.

14yo dd is walking one of the dogs.

12yo dd is reading (we just returned from the library, where the librarian correctly guessed we are homeschoolers and complemented our book choices and the kids manners... little did she know that 3yo dd kicked dirt all over my pants and new shoes when we arrived at the library.)

10yo ds is drawing

3yo dd is trying to get out of her mommy-imposed nap time (see dirt kicking incident above :glare:)

This grown up eternal student is procrastinating when I should be getting MY OWN chores done before a field trip with a friend's homeschool group. DD is, reluctantly, at ps. DS is watching a Thomas the Train video. Now, off I go to put on makeup and do SOME chores before I have to leave! Have fun today, everyone!

Ds3 and ds6 are eating lunch. Well, actually, they're 'eating', inbetween bursts of laughter and general horseplay. They just came in from riding scooters outside, while I brought in the groceries from our grocery trip.

Ds6 spilled his milk, and I thanked him for keeing it in a puddle on the table instead of letting it spash all over the floor/chairs/legs of the table. :lol:

We don't do school on Fridays. Well, we don't do 'formal' school on Fridays; I consider hours of playing/exploring outside, household chores, and errands to be pretty educational. :001_smile:

I let my oldest 2 sleep in today, since they were up late last night with the heebie-jeebies after reading lots of Poe; the oldest is now making herself and her sister some breakfast.

The second oldest is now getting to the pets.

My 12 yo is wrapping up his school day--he started at 6:30.

My 5 yo and 2 yo are trying to catch the petals as the breeze blows them off the ornamental cherry trees. They think it's better than a bubble machine. And so it is!

Sleeping, everyone. My family has horrible insomnia and we don't sleep deep when we do sleep. Last night there were very loud thounderstorms. It woke me at 3:00 and when I got up to wander the house, I ran into three kids who had also been waken. It took us all awhile to get back to sleep and then we went through the whole thing all over again at about 7:00. I think everyone finally fell back asleep around 9:00 so I expect that they will be waking up again any time now. It is still raining like crazy here but at least it is doing so fairly quietly. And finally, most of us have had a cold since Wednesday. I am pretty sure that it is not the flu as it is pretty mild: sniffly, sneezy, coughing and sore throat but not aches, pains, fever or chills. Anyhow, we all feel a little crudy so today will probably be an easy day of mostly reading type work: science, history and independent reading. I think we are going to skip math and English. It will give me more time to delve in to my new copy of TWTM anyhow.

I feel so much better about that last post.

My husband was not home last night, so we all stayed up late.

My boys are still asleep at 10:20. I'm trying to figure out if I should wake them.

We have some schoolwork planned today. Plus, I think we should make may day baskets for my Mom and Grammy.

My 18yo is studying for her finals, which she has coming up at the community college next week.

My 15yo is reading "Where the Red Fern Grows".

My 9yo has already finished school for the day, so he's eating a sandwich and watching cartoons.

My 7yo is at school. We put her in a self-contained autism class at the local public school about a month ago. Not sure if she'll be there next year! She misses us and we miss her. There are only 6 weeks left in the school year, so .. for now, she's there.

Edited by hsmamainva

My 8yo is doing her 100th math lesson, which is always a day of celebration in our house. So it's Thrifty ice cream after lunch. The lesson is on geometric solids, so she made some out of paper patterns.

6yo and I just finished reading a comic book together. She usually reads me something during a school day and I wouldn't usually pick a comic book, but what the heck. It turned out to be full of huge, difficult words, so I read the tricky parts and she read the simpler parts.

19yog up from having mononucleosis and being in bed - she if getting breakfast right now

16yob with slightly swollen tonsils is overall healthy looking and sounding and finishing a state mandated test at school

14yog with mono. is up from bed for a while...

13yob is down for a nap... not feeling well... has had a cough for a couple weeks

12yob is at middle school doing state mandated tests

11yob is on my bed watching some cartoons, sick with a cough and cannot exert himself of he goes into respiratory distress

10yob is at the table re-writing English sentences that he short-cutted yesterday!

9yob is on my bed watching cartoons... he keeps copying the sick ones, but has no real symptoms...

phew... not to mention that 5 children, at least, have had intestinal challenges this week... off and on... but nothing too alarming!

Dh has Friday's off so the 8yo and 11yo are alternating their CAT tests. 8yo is currently finishing up the last test then 11yo will come and do his last. DH has the job of entertaining the K'er and preschooler so they don't interrupt. I think they are all shooting arrows in the backyard.

Let's see. It's almost 1.

Ten year old and eight year old have finished their school work for the day (Friday is a light day), and are upstairs making plans for their "club" to open. I don't know any details except that all members get a credit card.

One year old just finished her lunch and is about to go down for a nap an hour early since she was up from 2-5 this a.m. I promise she has insomnia. When I go in there she just wants to talk to me. Which would be sweet at 2 p.m., not so much at 2 a.m.

Well, we are preparing for our homeschool co-op spring concert this evening...so right now here is what they are doing...

8yo ds is getting ready to take a shower.

6yo dd is playing with the toddler and awaiting her turn in the shower.

2yo ds is trying to annoy his big sister while she tries to occupy him!

(And I am getting ready to bake the peanut butter cookies to take with us!) :tongue_smilie:

11am here:

Dd 10 is still working on math. ugh, we are behind and since I told her she had to take a test next week(first time standardized test) she has completely forgotten all the math she has ever learned. :glare:

Ds 7 whizzed through both side of Saxon math sheet and is playing with dd 3.

Dd 5 is still working on same math sheet. (she is a little slower as the math is a little advanced for her.)

I am on the couch, sulking for too many reasons to list and generally feeling sorry for myself. Not sure how much school will get done today.

It is 3:10 pm here.

My 18yo is at work (a local bakery) till 6pm.

My 15yo is doing some thing school related - I am not sure what. Just asked her - German.

My 10 and 8yos (and an 11yo friend who is here to play this afternoon) are watching The Suite Life on Deck.

Right this second I have 3 sleeping boys and a DD on the computer. She just finished going over her last 2 days worth of work with me as my mom was in charge of school work yesterday (which typically means errors or half done work).

This has been fun reading everyone's reply. What a good way to see what a typical homeschool day looks like. Here goes.

Can't say much right now for my 2 married children but here are the other 10.

22 yo at work

21 yo in classes

18 yo downstairs watching I Love Lucy

15 yo finishing his key to algebra math for the day

13 yo reading Thoughts for Young Men

11 yo K doing singapore math

11 yo E looking for her math book (usual for her to be looking for her books)

8 yo supposed to be doing singapore math but arguing with 6 yo who is ahead in their nature reader

6 yo is finished arguing with 8 yo and starting singapore math

3 yo sitting on lap of 13 yo about to fall asleep.

so there it is. and me, online as usual:):):)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah......It is Quiet Time.

We just got home from visiting the library and running errands. All three boys are reading or looking at books quietly. The four y.o. is talking to himself because he never stops talking, but he's whispering because it's quiet time.

Cat

When I left for work, the 8yo dd was reading The Big Book of Why to the 4yo dd, and the 19yo ds who is home on "vacation" for two weeks from college in Tokyo was serving himself some warm peach pie. I just asked hubby what the kids were doing and all three had gone outside in the rain to collect the eggs and feed the chickens.

All age appropriate activities.

Mr Baby is grinning at me and pretending to feed.

Miss Tot is climbing on the shoe rack in the front hall and crying because she's two and that's what two year olds do. Ah. She's remembered Zorro is on telly. This should keep her happy for a while. She has a serious crush on Zorro.

Rosie