Menu

How can we safely get rid of dandelions?

The best chemical-free method for dandelion control I have found is my dd. I pay a penny per dandelion she plucks, payable in bundles of 100. Yes, they do keep coming back, but as they do, she picks them, and earns enough that she doesn't have to ask us for change if the ice cream truck happens to come down our street! It's a win-win situation for our family!

-Robin

Blowtorch - ignite those little fuzz heads and "cook" the seeds. Also "cook" the center of the weed. It doesn't stop them all at once and it won't work in a dry wild fire area.....but most suburban back yards with a few weeds.....IF you lawn is solid weeds, your better off with a broad spectrum weed killer and keep the kids off the grass for the recommended period of time. Then once the weeds are under control....use more kid friendly methods.

If you could borrow a few rabbits, they'd be happy to take care of those dandelions for you! Dandelion greens are quite a delicacy to bunnies. And, as a bonus, the bunnies would fertilize your yard while they munch! :D

Wendi

There is a weed popper thing that works wonders. My older kids are capable of using it.

I can't remember what it's called. But, it's got two long wooden handles like shovel handles. They come together at the bottom with poky things and a foot "pedal". You stab it on the dandelion and apply pressure to the pedal. Out pops the dandelion root and all. Hope that helps.

There is a weed popper thing that works wonders. My older kids are capable of using it.

I can't remember what it's called. But, it's got two long wooden handles like shovel handles. They come together at the bottom with poky things and a foot "pedal". You stab it on the dandelion and apply pressure to the pedal. Out pops the dandelion root and all. Hope that helps.

Grandpa's Weeder!

http://www.gardenhardware.com/grandpas-weeder1.html

We have one, and B likes to use it. :)

The only thing we have found to work is digging them up. There is a tool similar to a blade edge screwdriver that works well. If you have lots and lots of dandelions this may not be practical.

My dad attached one of these to a long 10 lb. pole so he could stand while uprooting them. He paid my sister and I to follow along and pick them up. After about 30 min., however, we weren't sure it was worth it anymore! It was quite effective.

I don't understand what is wrong with dandelions, but I'm not a lawn kind of girl. According to my little gardening book, though, weeds are a sign of vitamin deficiency. If you take flutistmom's idea then make a brew out of them, you can drench the areas they grow in, and they shouldn't need to grow any more.

Rosie

Rabbits and a Blowtorch are my two favorite answers that you have so far. :D

Probably best if not used together. I can tell you that my chickens would rather eat the lovely grass than the dandelions, and my dog chases off the local bunnies. We live in a high fire danger area. The local deer don't like them at all. I have heard that the greens are edible - you can saute them like another sturdy green either with onions Southern style or olive oil and garlic Italian style. I'm thinking of either getting a pet bunny to eat them or learning to cook them.

Guest Virginia Dawn
Rabbits and a Blowtorch are my two favorite answers that you have so far. :D

Probably best if not used together. I can tell you that my chickens would rather eat the lovely grass than the dandelions, and my dog chases off the local bunnies. We live in a high fire danger area. The local deer don't like them at all. I have heard that the greens are edible - you can saute them like another sturdy green either with onions Southern style or olive oil and garlic Italian style. I'm thinking of either getting a pet bunny to eat them or learning to cook them.

Yep, I ate plenty of dandelion greens as a child, but my dad boiled them and sprinkled vinegar on them.

For the ones that you have now, picking them is the only safe way to do it as far as I know. The vinegar will do the trick, but it will also kill the grass.

We use corn gulten as a weed preventer in the lawn. It has worked wonders on the crab grass and has kept the dandelions at bay. We also keep our lawn a little longer in the spring time. We do still need to pick a few here and there.

Let my dd4 into your backyard. ;) LOL

She LOVES picking dandelions right now. She brings me huge bouquets from our yard and our neighbor lets her pick them out of his yard, too.

You could pay your kids a dollar or something per ice cream bucket they fill. There's a special forked tool for digging up dandelions they could use. Maybe they could make a summer business out of it by soliciting work from the neighbors, too?

Good luck!

My girls rode the horses today in the local Dandelion parade---yes, there is really a Dandelion parade here in Michigan. It is a spoof of the Holland Tulip Time parade. LOTS of fun and a very small time farming area parade.

So, don't kill them, celebrate them with a parade and festival.

[

My girls rode the horses today in the local Dandelion parade---yes, there is really a Dandelion parade here in Michigan. It is a spoof of the Holland Tulip Time parade. LOTS of fun and a very small time farming area parade.

So, don't kill them, celebrate them with a parade and festival.

[

You know, in some places, dandelion are viewed as flowers, not weeds. It's worth trying to change your perception of them if you can't eradicate them. They are not unattractive. They are edible. I agree with Ottakee - CELEBRATE! :D

Weeds are messengers and are here to help fix our soil.

For dandies, I use a cheap short kitchen knife to gather up the leaves and then sever the top of the plant from the root just below the surface. They will come back for awhile, but the roots are wonderful and worth keeping. The soil around them is excellent, and you'll often find worms -- nature's amazing rototillers -- around them. The root also acts as a wedge to help loosen compacted and/or clay-like soil, so it's really doing us a favor!

Aren't you happy to have them now?!

:D

Every part of the dandelion is not only edible, but VERY good for you. Flower to root - but it's all in the preparation. Like many veggies, if improperly prepared they're rather yucky. (Kale and acorns, anyone?)

My MIL used to make dandelion pancakes when DH was a little boy, he still talks about how yummy they were.