Menu

My 11ds had a panic attach 'cause he heard us "making tea"

Makes me wonder how our pioneer ancestor's dealt with the issue. What if you and your family were living in a little cabin on the prairie 150 years ago? What would the Ingall's family have done?

:D

Blessings,

Lucinda

Makes me wonder how our pioneer ancestor's dealt with the issue. What if you and your family were living in a little cabin on the prairie 150 years ago? What would the Ingall's family have done?

Blessings,

Lucinda

Lots and lots of fresh air and work/exercise makes kids sleep very soundly you know ;). Parents too for that matter. :tongue_smilie:

I heard him outside the door, thought someone was trying to blow up our excercise ball with that pump thingy. It was him, with a terrified look, crying wildly, unable to breathe, ran away from me, wouldnt let me touch him...I sent my husband in to calm him. DS and I are very close. He is not speaking to me this morning. I want to tell him to 1. Keep your door closed at night, 2. Moms and Dads do these things you know, 3. At least we werent fighting! and, 4. Keep that door closed!!

I am embarrassed, hurting for him (no child should have to hear THAT, I imagine he IS traumatised) and dont know how to help him be ok again.

Ideas? :001_huh:

Oh just give it some time. I'm quite sure he'll get over it and turn out ok. The more of a big deal this is made out to be the unhealthier a view on sex he will have. Just act normal and give him the space he needs to get over it.

You guys just might think back on this and laugh.

I know this has come up before. I wish I knew how to search the thread. I know it involved a hysterical child. Perhaps someone else will pipe up.

I think it's probably time to sit down and gently tell ds that a part of being married is enjoying each other in a physical way. Sometimes there are noises associated with it. I would apologize for making him uncomfortable and ask that he respect your privacy by not hanging around your closed bedroom door. I would then invest in a radio/cd player for your bedroom to compensate for any noises.:001_smile:

I would think it is time to address the facts of life with this child if you haven't already. Both my boys understand that parents require "grown up time" and that they are not to disturb us. We hug and kiss in front of them' date=' so they know being physical is a part of being married. I'm sure they have ideas about what is going on, but like most kids they probably are grossed out and would rather not think about it. KWIM?

Hope this helps.

K[/quote']

:iagree:

1. I am so dying to know what Rich With Kids said....

2. He is talking and hugging me again. He was concerned that I left the room and had dad talk to him, instead of me. I thought he didnt want me and thought it might be a man-to-man moment. So now that I addressed that, told him I love him tons, hugged him for about 1/2 hour, everything is back to normal.

3. Ended up being a good thread, ladies. Thanks =:tongue_smilie:

Does he know the facts of sex and marital relations?

I'd tell him him must listen and tell him the truth.

"Son, what you heard was Mom and Dad making love. Since you didn't know what that was was happening, the sounds must have been scary. You don't have to worry, we were and are just fine."

If it were my children, I'd have some pretty firm words about "moving on" and not hyperfocusing on the issue or adding drama to it.

The extreme reaction on his part and not talking to you has me a bit :confused:.

And in fact, honestly? I'd probably be using words like, "Get over it. This conversation is finished. This is what married people do. This is what makes the world go round. Shift your thinking, understand that you know these things now, and get over yourself."

Then move on. Joanne said it best -- no hyperfocusing. No more than that he knows you move your bowels or that you menstruate or that money doesn't originate from ATM's. It is what it is, kid. Next.

And in fact, honestly? I'd probably be using words like, "Get over it. This conversation is finished. This is what married people do. This is what makes the world go round. Shift your thinking, understand that you know these things now, and get over yourself."

Then move on. Joanne said it best -- no hyperfocusing. No more than that he knows you move your bowels or that you menstruate or that money doesn't originate from ATM's. It is what it is, kid. Next.

I think my reaction would be similar. I have little patience for dramatics over every-day occurences. Of course, I have little patience for anything these days... ;)

When I first heard my parents, I knocked on the door and firmly told them they needed to quit jumping on the bed - I was trying to sleep. I was 9 or 10 I think.

I am just waiting for the day I will be having this conversation with one or more of mine.

It's coming. I just know it...

:iagree::iagree:

astrid

I can't believe I missed Rich with Kids' story!

Poor me. :nopity:

Perhaps someone could shoot me a detailed PM... (hint, hint!!!)

Cat

Well, if PMs are being passed out then I want one too! I'm with pp who said if Audrey said it takes the freaky cake then I want to hear it.

"making tea"....I've never heard that term before. It made me giggle.

I *saw* my parents on the floor in the living room. It was the middle of the day, AND my best friend was visiting. We both saw them. We were 11. ((shudder))

Hope your ds feels better.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Oh my gosh, that's the exact thing I just said to someone else on this subject! I guess maybe Pa stuck a little sign from the rafters that said "If this loft's a rockin', don't come a'knockin'!"

:lol:

I can't believe I missed Rich with Kids' story!

Poor me. :nopity:

I missed it, too. But it has me remembering a really good one posted here a few years ago...I'm about 95% sure whose posted it, and I'm pretty sure she doesn't post here anymore, but I don't want to say the name...

Anyway, she and her hubby were newlyweds and used to "go to town" in their bedroom with the lights on. After a YEAR or so, she discovered one night that you could see into the bedroom very clearly through their slatted shades. It was through the front window and she realized they'd been giving a show to everybody going by.

The things you read on a homeschooling board...

I am not sure but maybe bring some gentle humour into the situation?

Every now and then my husband says something to our teenagers like, you know, I do find your mother attractive and even.....and about then they start going La La La with their fingers in their ears. But we do all have a good laugh.

I would suggest not taking it too seriously- after all, it's just life, it's normal. Of course you need to be sensitive to his feelings, but not taking them too seriously might help him put it into perspective.

That's how we are too. The kids are well aware that dh finds me attractive! The oldest one now just rolls his eyes. They know that sometimes mom will be in the shower and dad will get in too. :001_smile: We grew up that way too. My mom couldn't walk past my dad without him kissing her or something. We were well aware of the physical aspects of marriage. So far we haven't had anyone see anything too bad! But I think they would take it in stride.