Menu

Can Runkle Geography student activity book be used alone?

home4fun

I am wanting my 5th grade son to learn to countries of the world. It says in the description that is helps memorize the countries. Have you found that this works? There are no samples of the workbook. I was also wanting to see if the maps may be good for tracing and learning to draw the different countries. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Angie

(home4fun)

My sons are working through this program. I would say you definitely could use just the Student Activity book for memorizing the countries of the world as well as drawing/tracing the countries/continents, etc. I found her way of grouping the countries (we are still in Africa) with tips for memorizing very helpful. I'm considering continuing through the summer break just doing the country memorization.

HTHs,

Angie,

Another thing you might want to consider. . .my ds also uses the "Geography Coloring Book" by Wynn Kapit. He colors the countries that he is memorizing plus it has other activities to do. You can find it at Amazon or Overstock for about $18.

I am wanting my 5th grade son to learn to countries of the world. It says in the description that is helps memorize the countries. Have you found that this works? There are no samples of the workbook. I was also wanting to see if the maps may be good for tracing and learning to draw the different countries. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Angie

(home4fun)

Well, I consider myself a Runkle's fan, but I chucked the activity guide. I could find maps online, that worked better for me. Now, I had one of the very first activity guides that came out, so I don't know if it has changed, but all mine had in it was continent maps (and they were smallish), and absolutely no details on how to use them. It appears from a later poster that this may have changed. (?)

I do use some of her country grouping suggestions (added some of my own -- she didn't have "water", and I find that important). They are listed on my blog, under the schedule there.

Well, I consider myself a Runkle's fan, but I chucked the activity guide. I could find maps online, that worked better for me. Now, I had one of the very first activity guides that came out, so I don't know if it has changed, but all mine had in it was continent maps (and they were smallish), and absolutely no details on how to use them. It appears from a later poster that this may have changed. (?)

I do use some of her country grouping suggestions (added some of my own -- she didn't have "water", and I find that important). They are listed on my blog, under the schedule there.

Christine,

Mine is the 2000 copyright edition and it gives instruction into her mapping method, how to integrate it with the textbook lessons (not a lot of info but something to get you started), and some specific learning activities that coordinate with the lessons. Another thing I found very helpful with my boys. . . the pronounciation guide!!

All I really use if for with my boys is the order and helps for memorizing the countries. :)

• 2 weeks later...