Menu

Singapore Math standard edition. . .which is better, HIG or TM???

Sumiller

I'm definitely going to order singapore for my son. He will begin in level 5b. I was wondering if it would be better to have the TM over the HIG. Has anyone chosen one over the other? I notice the cost difference is substantial but I'm willing to pay extra for a better resource.

thanks!

I don't think the HIGs are available yet for the level 5 Standards Edition (atleast the last time I looked.)

In levels past (non-standards editions), I've bought the HIGs, but ended up not really using them much. So far I've used Levels 5A and 5B Standards TMs. I'm glad I spent the $$. The layout is very clear and concise. They give you an overview of each unit, the background information you need, and step by step instructions for each day. They also have the answers to the problems in the Textbook and the Workbook. So if you want (in my case, need) that level of instruction, then TMs are definitely worth it.

I also use the IP and CWP books. The TMs don't have any information on the problems in these books, but you can go to the singapore math forum for help with any problems that have you stumped - chances are, someone has already asked for help on that particular problem. HTH!

Per the website, 4A comes out this summer. Over the past year they've released HIGs for 1A-3B, so I am in hopes that they will get levels 4 and 5 done this year. The level 6 materials (not HIG yet) are scheduled to be out this year as well, IIRC, so I expect an HIG will follow that.

I don't think the HIGs are available yet for the level 5 Standards Edition (atleast the last time I looked.)

In levels past (non-standards editions), I've bought the HIGs, but ended up not really using them much. So far I've used Levels 5A and 5B Standards TMs. I'm glad I spent the $$. The layout is very clear and concise. They give you an overview of each unit, the background information you need, and step by step instructions for each day. They also have the answers to the problems in the Textbook and the Workbook. So if you want (in my case, need) that level of instruction, then TMs are definitely worth it.

I also use the IP and CWP books. The TMs don't have any information on the problems in these books, but you can go to the singapore math forum for help with any problems that have you stumped - chances are, someone has already asked for help on that particular problem. HTH!

I've spent so much time at the Singapore website the past couple of days, I think I've confused myself! I just went back to check what it was that I saw would be released this June regarding the Standards edition and it is the levels 6A and 6B. . .so no HIG for those levels for a while.

I guess the only option right now is the TM's which is okay because, like you, Melissa, I really like the additional info on instruction found in TM's. I've already ordered a few of the CWP's that will be going out of print but what exactly are the IP's??

Thanks!

IPs are Intensive Practice workbooks. Not currently available for the standards edition. They are supplementary workbooks for the US edition that take the concepts in the chapter and go a bit deeper than the regular workbook. They are not correlated to the standards edition, so if you wanted to use them for extra material, it would be more teacher-intensive in figuring out which chapter went with which lesson in standards.

I have seen folks say that for children who are very math oriented, sometimes they prefer the IP to the regular workbook. Some folks used them as extra work in addition to the workbook. We tried that when we were using the US edition, but the IP was too intensive for my daughter--the built in acceleration of Singapore is enough of a challenge for her. We do use CWP, but more as a review once she's finished a level.

The IP books are Intensive Practice workbooks. They definitely "kick it up a notch!" They're organized by topic. Each section has computational practice problems, starting easy, and working up to challenging problems (does the student really understand the concept? kind of problems.) There are also word problems for each topic (easy to challenging.) The IP and CWP workbooks are why I like Singapore so much. By the time we do the regular lesson, then the corresponding IP problems, I feel like my daughter really understands what she's doing. We use the CWP book a level behind (she's doing 5B Standards now, but CWP4), although I know parents who use the same level CWP. I feel like the CWP a level back is more doable for my daughter (less frustrating.) HTH!

The IP books are Intensive Practice workbooks. They definitely "kick it up a notch!" They're organized by topic. Each section has computational practice problems, starting easy, and working up to challenging problems (does the student really understand the concept? kind of problems.) There are also word problems for each topic (easy to challenging.) The IP and CWP workbooks are why I like Singapore so much. By the time we do the regular lesson, then the corresponding IP problems, I feel like my daughter really understands what she's doing. We use the CWP book a level behind (she's doing 5B Standards now, but CWP4), although I know parents who use the same level CWP. I feel like the CWP a level back is more doable for my daughter (less frustrating.) HTH!

So you don't have trouble coordinating between the US edition IP's and the Standards edition sequence?? I really like the idea of 'kicking it up a notch!' So if I am doing Standards 5B in the fall, would I get the IP for 5B?? or should I get more than one to better coordinate topics?